Garmin buys Active Captain - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 47 Old 05-13-2017
Mermaid Hunter

Re: Garmin buys Active Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
At the time, OCPN did publicly present the AC issue as one of not complying with open source licensing, and Jeff's public responses at the time differed from how Auspicious seems to remember them now.
I don't seem to remember it - I do remember. I could easily remember it wrong, or have missed something important.

Quote:
However, OCPN does at times seem to be deep into open source religion to the point of blindness.
Which was my intended point. I'm also a big fan of open source (Linux, Apache, Bind, sendmail, ...). Support of open source doesn't have to mean losing sight of practical elements. That's what good architecture and interface design are for.

Quote:
Likewise, sometimes Active Captain is its own worse enemy.
Jeff can be a difficult person. He manages to build very good capabilities and generate success with them regardless.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

beware "cut and paste" sailors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 Old 05-13-2017

On the depths side of things, an alternative may be the initiative by the IHO (the umbrella body for NOAA, UKHO and all other national hydrographic offices).
They've had a workgroup looking at crowd sourced bathymetry (CSB) for the last couple of years, and two things have come out of it:
- they are in the process of putting up a repository for CSB tracks of boats with GPS and sounder data that will be available as open data under a Creative Commons licence
- they have just produced a draft of a guidebook on logging data for CSB - you can see it and comment on it here: TeamSurv IHO Crowd Sourced Bathymetry Document
TeamSurv (which I'm involved with) has been on the IHO committee and will be acting as one of the "trusted nodes" contributing data to the IHO site - we'd be glad to have any of you join in.
Tim
post #33 of 47 Old 05-13-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Hand. There is a paid version. Someone has ripped off a copy and put it on playstore for $10.

So much for purity 😆😆😆
Don't know what "hand" means.

The paid version is not a ripoff - it was developed and sold by the guy at the top of the OCPN org (if there is such a thing). He is the original developer. The free version is the ripoff in the sense that it is old code not being supported and doesn't contain all feature and stability additions of the paid version.

Charging for it is still "pure" and OK under the GNU licensing, as long as it fulfills particular clauses, which it does.

Other examples are the various Linux distributions, and also some games come to mind.

Mark
AJC506 likes this.

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

- Current boat

- Previous boat

post #34 of 47 Old 05-13-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
I think AltaVista is a relevant metaphor in a discussion of ActiveCaptain.

In the late 90s Google overwhelmed other predecessors with fast and simple search. AltaVista tried to morph into a web portal, competing with Yahoo! who was at the time one of their biggest customers. That failed pretty badly as web portals consistently do. There is no question that Compaq and later Compaq-HP and then Yahoo! management didn't help much.

The market liked and continues to like Google. The simple interface and fast backend appeals to lots of people - the market speaks. To stretch the metaphor, Waterway Guide is like Bing - supported by a company with other equities and revenue streams. It will survive until the company decide it won't. There are lots of other search engines, just as there are other online guides (some crowdsourced and some not). ActiveCaptain, like Google, is the elephant in the room or the 800# gorilla if you prefer.
It has occurred to me recently that Google's setup of internet infrastructure, along with the size and resources of the company, puts it in an excellent position to horn in and squeeze other players out of many types of information based business. For instance, take crowdsourced review setups like Yelp or TripAdvisor, when people are already using Google Maps and Google reviews, Google Plus etc., it's a pretty short leap for Google to either squeeze out established players or simply buy them and incorporate their existing content into the Google collective.

This would also go for nautical stuff like AC if they were to decide it was a worthwhile or attractive target, IMHO.
post #35 of 47 Old 05-13-2017

Quote:
...The free version is the ripoff in the sense that it is old code not being supported and doesn't contain all feature and stability additions of the paid version....
Be careful what you're saying here.

The free version for Android was a rip-off, by someone who got his panties all in a knot over the thought that somebody else was "profiting" from all the "work" he did to "test" the software. (IIRC, he had done almost nothing - just another user - who promptly left when he realized that he had gotten more than he bargained for by having to support the obsolete v1 code all by himself.)

The free version of OpenCPN for Windows and Linux is very much alive, currently supported and updated. Dave and his team continue to be very responsive to user suggestions.

Actually, on Google Play Store, there is an incentive to charge a fee, because then people have to have some "skin in the game" to post reviews. Free software often gets trolled with bad reviews posted by competitors. I think that Jeff Siegel mentioned that to me once as one of the problems of offering free software on Play Store. That was a few years ago, so Google may have taken other measures to prevent trolling of free software.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #36 of 47 Old 05-13-2017

Dock

Quote:
Don't know what "hand" means.
Stupid spell checker. Really annoys me. I try to write "Ha" and it produces "hand".

Ffs

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #37 of 47 Old 05-13-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Be careful what you're saying here.

The free version for Android was a rip-off,
The context that I was responding to was the Android pay app on the Google store, so I was careful of what I was saying.

For the record, I was also not talking about any other app, any other operating system, Markj's well known penchant for ferrets in lingerie, and a host of other stuff not included in the context of the post...

Mark

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #38 of 47 Old 05-13-2017
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Stupid spell checker. Really annoys me. I try to write "Ha" and it produces "hand".

Ffs
good thing you didn't try to type joe because it would have added "job"
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #39 of 47 Old 05-13-2017

Quote:
The context that I was responding to was the Android pay app on the Google store, so I was careful of what I was saying...
Well, you can think that if you want. But you repeatedly used the term OCPN, which is the acronym associated with the Windows/Linux version. The Android version is a separate code base, and is referred to by the support team as "AOCPN". So it appeared to me that you were referring to the Windows/Linux version, and I set the record straight just in case anyone else was similarly misled.

OpenCPN Android Forum for the Purchased App

Quote:
AOCPN FORUM
Welcome Members, please login.
Membership is required to view the forum.
Not a registered member yet? Sign up.
Thanks for your interest.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #40 of 47 Old 05-13-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Well, you can think that if you want. But you repeatedly used the term OCPN, which is the acronym associated with the Windows/Linux version. The Android version is a separate code base, and is referred to by the support team as "AOCPN". So it appeared to me that you were referring to the Windows/Linux version, and I set the record straight just in case anyone else was similarly misled.

You apparently don't understand the meaning of context, or did not pay attention to the individual postings.

BTW, the only time I used the acronym "OCPN" was in reference to the guy in that organization. I never referred to the app as such. Are you sure you even read the post?

Mark

- Current boat

- Previous boat

Last edited by colemj; 05-13-2017 at 08:26 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in