Minimum Specs Needed for a dedicated laptop for OpenCPN? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 Old 05-15-2017

Re: Minimum Specs Needed for a dedicated laptop for OpenCPN?

OT.... Recently purchased a NUC 5i5ryh and a HP22er monitor and installed a Buck 12/19 transformer (both NUC and HP run on 19v as do laptops).. removed the 24" smartTV in the process. The advantages to this are that the NUC is small, no moving parts.. ie sold state hard drive. It's 4x4x2 so it's very portable.... ir I want to take it somewhere. I can run 2 monitors if I want. No inverter use for charging laptop... that's off the boat as well. The HP screen is 22" much larger than any laptop almost as large as the old smart tv. Keyboard is Logitech K380 wireless as is mouse (I may change to another Logitech BT K400 keyboard with a built in track pad... I don't care for track pads... but mouses don't stay put on the boat). Speaker is blue tooth, tiny can be brought into cockpit for music etc. Sound is WAY better than a laptop. Cost was less than most laptops... I use dedicated plotters or a smart phone for "nav"... not one to bother with libraries of way points or route planning. I have a cheapie external DVD and an external USD multiport. (NUC has only 4 USB ports) I installed Win7pro on it.

But if I wanted to do planning I have a huge monitor and can do it on that. The monitor uses an HDMI cable and that too can mean I can put the monitor wherever we want... like watch video/net flix, even in the cockpit. I have a short and a long HDMI cable. The NUC has a lift off mount and lives in a locker above and behind the port settee just forward of the nav station. The NUC and the Monitor draw about 2 amps! I love this flexible solution for having a PC and internet connectivity aboard. When not in use I can stow the monitor in its original foam packing out of the way. Our use is at anchor... not underway. There are flexible arm mounts for the monitor... but this makes no sense for us. The monitor is large enough that I can do CAD work on board. So this solution does not do what a lap does... but it does different things and is quite flexible.

Pic attached of initial set up using inverter... Will update later with complete install using Buck transformer
Attached Thumbnails
nuc.jpg  
oysterman23 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 Old 05-15-2017

I am not a big fan of touchscreen laptops. That said, they give you the option of using the keyboard/touchpad or the the screen. As noted, any new laptop will run the navigation software. An SSD would be a plus as it's faster and more rugged as there are no moving parts. You really don't need a lot of storage, so even 120 GB will be OK unless you are going to load a lot of other programs.

Any new machine will come with Windows 10. You can get Windows 7 on a refurbished machine. Your call. I use both and still prefer 7, but have gotten used to using 10.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
post #13 of 21 Old 05-15-2017

FWIW, installing Classic Shell eliminated 95% of my complaints with both Windows 8 and Windows 10, and opens up the selection to all the low-cost options since Windows 7 requires a higher-end business laptop or a paid "upgrade".

For dedicated use including in the cockpit, a tablet is really nice. I have a RAM mount with rubber mounting ball bolted to the top of my binnacle, and also a suction cup rubber ball for mounting it under the dodger in foul weather.

If your only plan is to use it at the nav station, then a lot of this stuff is unnecessary.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall, MD

Last edited by TakeFive; 05-15-2017 at 11:51 AM.

post #14 of 21 Old 05-15-2017
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
An SSD would be a plus as it's faster and more rugged as there are no moving parts. You really don't need a lot of storage, so even 120 GB will be OK unless you are going to load a lot of other programs.
I definitely agree that an SSD has great merit. I love the one on my work laptop. In addition to Jim's notes it is faster to boot and faster to administer. Things like virus scans run really fast.

His post reminds me that most people who set out to have a "boat-only" nav laptop find that they have lots of other things on their machine. Email, movies, music, lots of charts, pictures, Airmail, XGate, all kinds of things. I have never had anyone say they bought a hard drive that was too big. *grin* My work laptop has a 210 GB drive. With Win 7 Pro and a bunch of programs but no movies or music and no pictures and only selected charts I've about 70 GB used. I use a 2 TB external drive for media and charts.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

beware "cut and paste" sailors

post #15 of 21 Old 05-15-2017

Does having a dated Windows operating system cause an unmitigated exposure to the likes of this ransomware virus going around right now? I understand Win10 is being patched to close the vulnerability.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #16 of 21 Old 05-15-2017

Minnewaska, that malware that you're referring to uses a vulnerability that was patched 3 months ago.

Regarding Windows 7 vs 10, with all due respect, if you plan on keeping your computer for a while, getting Windows 7 is a sucker's move. Windows 7 is going to stop getting patches in 2.5 years, whereas Windows 10 will be supported till 2025. If you're just using your machine for navigation and maybe web stuff, any difference between operating system versions is minor.
post #17 of 21 Old 05-15-2017

Huge problem with Windows 10 is the automatic updates feature. No way to turn it off, no way to schedule or postpone when it kicks in. And when it goes into the update mode, you better pray you have top notch and very fast internet connection, or it will be DAYS before you get to use your computer again.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #18 of 21 Old 05-15-2017

Dock

It's great to see people agree with me to buy the oldest possible computer with the oldest form of Windows on it - and Netscape as a browser.

I just bought a 1950s Cray computer as its far better than Windows 3.1 I always knew Bill Gates was an utter fool. But he never tricked me. I did have XP but any fool knows that's far too modern so I went 3.1 then the Cray.

It fits well on my wooden schooner with 18 masts and no engine.

See? Yanmar is a fool thing too. Those Japanese and Bill Gates... Watch 'em!

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #19 of 21 Old 05-15-2017

That is a super-legit problem, especially on some of the flakey WiFi you get in anchorages. However, you can with a little tweaking get Windows 10 to not do automatic updates. Apparently one of the downsides of creating lots of new accounts is that I can't post links, but on cnet dot com there's a page how-to/stop-windows-10-from-automatically-updating-your-pc/ that describes the hoops you can jump through to disable automatic updates.

Note that you should update whenever you can, because getting locked out of your nav system can be a major bummer!
post #20 of 21 Old 05-15-2017
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Does having a dated Windows operating system cause an unmitigated exposure to the likes of this ransomware virus going around right now? I understand Win10 is being patched to close the vulnerability.
WannaCry has resulted in a lot of patches including one for XP, otherwise not supported by Microsoft. Update your OS and your antivirus of choice (mine is AVG). Check every day for the next week or so as things are still emerging. The global media told the perpetrators how their effort got slowed down so we may well see a more robust surge in the next couple of days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
Huge problem with Windows 10 is the automatic updates feature. No way to turn it off, no way to schedule or postpone when it kicks in. And when it goes into the update mode, you better pray you have top notch and very fast internet connection, or it will be DAYS before you get to use your computer again.
You can fix that with a policy change but it is a PITA and prone to error by people who aren't used to the tech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
I just bought a 1950s Cray computer as its far better than Windows 3.1 I always knew Bill Gates was an utter fool. But he never tricked me. I did have XP but any fool knows that's far too modern so I went 3.1 then the Cray.
It's the couch built around the computer core that makes the old Cray a winner.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

beware "cut and paste" sailors

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in