Anyone know how some old posters are doing - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 29 Old 05-23-2017

Re: Anyone know how some old posters are doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
I just bought the domain name anythingsailing.com with no hyphen.

I was surprised it was available. Don't know what I'll do with it, should think of something.
If they are still protecting the one with the hyphen, you would be prevented from using the one you bought as a web sailing forum, as you would be leveraging their intellectual capital with the similar name. Some people have made money selling these similar domain names back to the popular brand owner, who wants to capture them and re-route them to the active site. I suspect, however, that AS has essentially walked away. Unless they let it go recently, having missed something like this speaks a bit to the lack of business/tech/legal sophistication.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 Old 05-23-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
If they are still protecting the one with the hyphen, you would be prevented from using the one you bought as a web sailing forum, as you would be leveraging their intellectual capital with the similar name.
Who would prevent that?
post #23 of 29 Old 05-23-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
Who would prevent that?
USPTO. Domain names that infringe on existing trademarks are forbidden. There is a whole bunch of case law that came out of the lawsuits against the proliferation of URL "squatters" about 20 years ago.

If the trademark has been abandoned, it may not be a problem. But if someone bought the rights in a liquidation, they would probably have a case against him.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
The Following User Says Thank You to TakeFive For This Useful Post:
MastUndSchotbruch (05-23-2017)

post #24 of 29 Old 05-23-2017

Quote:
If they are still protecting the one with the hyphen, you would be prevented from using the one you bought as a web sailing forum, as you would be leveraging their intellectual capital with the similar name. Some people have made money selling these similar domain names back to the popular brand owner, who wants to capture them and re-route them to the active site. I suspect, however, that AS has essentially walked away. Unless they let it go recently, having missed something like this speaks a bit to the lack of business/tech/legal sophistication.
I tried to access the site (I still had the bookmark), and got one of those "there is no page to view, but the domain name isn't available" pages. My somewhat vague memory of that site was that it suffered from the same problem that those guys had while at Sailnet: most threads would turn into conversations between the insiders, freezing out everyone else. That may be why the site lost steam; it's hard to build up forum site when your guests don't feel like they are participating, and your core guys eventually get tired of having the same conversations with the same people again and again.
post #25 of 29 Old 05-23-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
USPTO. Domain names that infringe on existing trademarks are forbidden. There is a whole bunch of case law that came out of the lawsuits against the proliferation of URL "squatters" about 20 years ago.

If the trademark has been abandoned, it may not be a problem. But if someone bought the rights in a liquidation, they would probably have a case against him.
Interesting, I did not know that. But would the USPTO be able to enforce policies in countries other than the US? Also, is anything-sailing registered as a trade mark? If not, would someone have a case?
post #26 of 29 Old 05-23-2017
Fortuitous

Quote:
Unless they let it go recently, having missed something like this speaks a bit to the lack of business/tech/legal sophistication.
It wasn't a business, which was one of the things I liked about it. The sophistication was in the sailing knowledge and the very good signal to noise ratio, not in the legal defense of intellectual property.
chef2sail likes this.

My Boat Log, or "blog" if you will:
post #27 of 29 Old 05-24-2017

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

So many self proclaimed experts in so many fields. It's amazing. There is case law which supports both sides.
If no one contests the hyphenated name then it's really a moot point.
If you want to find the TRUTH go to a free consult with a real lawyer not a Sailnet one if the site name means something to you

Speculation on why the forum Chip talks about ended and ran its course is just that speculation.
Like Chip I enjoyed and still enjoy some of the friendships I made on that forum.

Back to the OP intent of the thread, I have stayed in contact with some of the old posters and we have visited from time to time.
SN is like any other social group as people move in and out. Die, , Age and get out of boating or find another interest which takes up their time. I am sure my time will come someday. Maybe sooner than later.

I don't think it's necessary to find a reason that people move on, just that it's a normal thing.
Thanks to the OP. for posting some of the old names. Brings back some fond memories

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #28 of 29 Old 05-24-2017
HANUMAN

Anyway, I'm still frigging here. Amazing they haven't banned me. Or made me a moderator.

The Pirate of Pine Island...now there's a poster. He would type paragraphs in piratespeak. Anyone know if he's still kicking?
davidpm and AncientTech like this.

WINDHOVER
1999 CATALINA 36 MKII
NOANK, CT
post #29 of 29 Old 06-02-2017
Banned

I can't remember where I came across the news, but it seems like one of my all-time favorite sailors passed - John Shasteen. He owned the Bristol 29.9, PALOMA, and sailed out of the Corpus area. Great guy and Hall of Fame BFSer. I hoped to get down that way to meet him, just never had the chance. I miss him.

See you out there John.

Here is another view of Paloma back in port after 36 hours of fighting a Force 10 storm in the Gulf

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnshasteen View Post
Okay SmackDaddy, here's Paloma's BFS adventure. Pictures of her back in port, go to the photo gallery and search Paloma.
Thursday March 06, 2008, three of us, all seasoned blue water sailors sailed Paloma, my Bristol 29.9, out of Port Isabel and around the bottom of South Padre Island, just North of the Rio Grande River and the Mexican border, laying for Freeport about 250 miles to the ENE. It was the perfect sailing weather - we were in shorts and polo shirts, on a broad reach in 15 knot SE winds, beautiful 5-7 foot seas and 70 degree weather - the only thing missing was a Jimmy Buffett CD on the stereo.
Later in the day we got a Coast Guard weather alert, small craft immediately make for the nearest port, there was a Northerly cold front (the one that dumped all the snow in mid-west mid-week) moving our way at 35 miles per hour packing internal winds of 50-60, gusting higher, seas quickly building to over 20 feet. Paloma is a not a small craft, but a second-generation
Bristol, built and equipped to go anywhere in any weather, and since the weather report was coming from Coast Guard South Padre Island, we thought we could head more easterly and possibly get on the other side of al least the brunt of the storm. No such luck, around 6:30pm we got hit full force by the front, coming like a freight train. It slammed us from a 15 degree heel to port through a 100 degree arc, down to starboard port lights in the water all the way up to the handrails and the sails in the water before we rounded up into the wind and could start the engine and start dropping sail. On the initial hit, the main, still dumping water, hung up in the spreaders and tore, at the same time we lost cotter pins on the port and starboard upper stays and we couldn't haul the main more than about 3/4 of the way down. Then as bad luck and Murphy’s Law would have it, a jib sheet got of control and went under the boat, tangling in the prop, stopping the engine. Now came the decisions not in the "game plan".
We made the only possible decision, to turn south and run bare poles before the storm. From the point we turned, about 35-40 miles NE of the
Rio Grande, we screamed down wind in what we thought were 18 - 20 foot following seas (later the Coast Guard told us they were 28 - 30 feet) and winds 50-60 and gusting over 60 ( a Force 10 storm, precisely as promised by the Coast Guard) for 36 hours. The stern and bimini were plenty of sail and it was a wild ride being pushed along by the seas, hitting over 10mph (from the GPS) when sliding down the face of the seas. It was a strain to keep Paloma tracking, so we couldn't stay on the helm more than an hour at a time and we knew if we turned beam to the wind, we would likely broach. When anyone went below for an all too short, one-hour rest, they could only nap on the cabin sole - even that was comfortable after two hours in the cockpit. The winds were cold, but when waves broke into the cockpit, the water was warm. We kept wondering when the storm would abate - actually we just kept wondering if we were going to end up in Vera Cruz.
When the winds finally abated and shifted back to SE, we were about 135 miles down and 70 miles east of the Mexican coastline - we had been blown 180 miles off our original rhumb line, no engine and only a 110 working jib. During the short calm of the wind shift, we untangled the line around the prop, by starting the engine in neutral then putting the engine in reverse and pulling like crazy on the line trying to unwind it - after two tries, thank goodness it worked. We now had a working jib and an engine (if we needed it) - not a bad combination to turn and run North in what ended up being a much more comfortable 15-20 knot SE winds and 8-10 foot seas - still a chore to keep her on track with only a working jib and making hull speed and better when shoved by the following seas, but easily manageable.
The closest ffice:smarttags" />US landfall was
lace w:st="on">South Padre Islandlace> about 135 miles NNW and by mid-day Sunday we were in sight of the buildings on the island.fficeffice" />>>
davidpm likes this.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 06-02-2017 at 01:42 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in