SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

St Martin to Azores then N Spain leaving tomorrow.

5K views 43 replies 20 participants last post by  mbianka 
#1 ·
Friggen hell the last few days have been. Bloody expensive, hot, dusty...

I just can't wait to get to sea!

*has there been a forum update and they have stuffed the Mobile website up? *

Anyway, I am far to tired and grumpy to give a damn.

Anyway (2) the good news is I gave 2 girls coming with me. Crackers! Yes, me and them. I met them doing a 2am rescue when their previous boat dragged onto the rocks. They seemed fine and listened and did.
When I heard they got off that boat the next day I suggested we have a chat.

Neither can sail. That's fine by me.

In 20 days we will either be great friends or hate each others guts.

Woe could be me.

Wish them luck.

Wish me luck.

Mark

See less See more
#2 ·
We Wish them luck.
We Wish you luck.
Just don't leave your monkey on the dock when you leave. lol
Explanation:
When we were in Bali, a sailor set sail across the Indian Ocean with two girls that he'd just picked up off the dock. About a week later we heard that the girls were picked up by a passing ship, stating that the guy had "fallen" overboard and they didn't know how to sail the boat, so they called for help and abandoned the boat.
Nobody knows what really happened, but everybody in the harbor already thought he was a real pinprick because he'd left his real, live monkey tied to a cleat on the dock with no food or water when he left.
So, a word of advice, be kind to your monkey!

#4 ·

Anyway (2) the good news is I gave 2 girls coming with me. Crackers! Yes, me and them. I met them doing a 2am rescue when their previous boat dragged onto the rocks. They seemed fine and listened and did.

Woe could be me.

Wish them luck.

Wish me luck.

Mark
Pictures, Mark. Gotta see some pictures.

Reactions: Northeric
#10 ·
Good luck! Hey my last girly crew member said she was a sailing instructor in China, she didn't know sweet FA about anything. So the lack of experience may be best. A trained monkey would have been better.

#20 ·
Oh jeeeze! This sounds like a voyage planned over a bottle of Rum.:) Two inexperienced woman as crew on a trans Atlantic passage? Be careful what you wish for Mark! Can't help but, remember the lesson of the Satory in the Perfect Storm. Fellow set sail with two gals too. When things got rough. One of the gals called for a rescue while the Captain was sleeping setting off a situation where the Captain was ordered off his own boat which later drifted ashore in New Jersey. Still wishing you fair winds and will miss not seeing you in New York this year. But looking forward to hearing about this voyage when you reach Europe. :)

#22 ·
It's been awhile since Mark left St. Martin on SEA LIFE with an all woman crew. :) Has anyone heard from him?
I was also wondering if anyone has spent the $ to get Satellite reporting of AIS signals on Marine Traffic? I know the satellite tracking of Class B transponders like Mark has can be iffy. But, I'd be curious if it might have picked up his signal somewhere in his crossing.

#23 ·

Woe could be me.

Wish them luck.

Wish me luck.

Mark
Just got AIS conformation. Mark and SEA LIFE have arrived in Horta:
SEA LIFE arrived at
Port HORTA
at 2017-06-14 09:17 Local Time (2017-06-14 09:17 UTC)

#25 ·
Then again, we only know the boat arrived. :)
A valid point. An old bloke like Mark at sea with two young birds, now that is a recipe for some grand sailing tales. Of course, he is an Aussie, so as long as he had beer and a shrimp or two on the barbie, all should be right with Mark.
Mark, we await your grand tale.

#29 ·
Its n interesting til I would hve told erlier but the Silnet forum is getting more dodgy nd I cnt use it on my mobile phone nymore nd the lptop wont do the letter t the very beginning of the lphbet nor the lst of the lphbet.

So if you cn red this tell the dmins to stop screwing with the forum!
The "mobile' version' hs lwys been crp; but now the Full Version is grbge... one cnt even get the Notifictions nymore!

nywy, I m live :) The girls were gret! They hve trveled on tody. I diverted to sty south of tht storm tht bet up the OSTR bots so I ws 5 dys lte rriving in Hort.

My next leg needs to hve some chnges from the originl pln... I m heding to Brest, Frnce.

Mrk :)

#31 ·
Its n interesting til I would hve told erlier but the Silnet forum is getting more dodgy nd I cnt use it on my mobile phone nymore nd the lptop wont do the letter t the very beginning of the lphbet nor the lst of the lphbet.

So if you cn red this tell the dmins to stop screwing with the forum!
The "mobile' version' hs lwys been crp; but now the Full Version is grbge... one cnt even get the Notifictions nymore!

nywy, I m live :) The girls were gret! They hve trveled on tody. I diverted to sty south of tht storm tht bet up the OSTR bots so I ws 5 dys lte rriving in Hort.

My next leg needs to hve some chnges from the originl pln... I m heding to Brest, Frnce.

Mrk :)
Tht snds gret! Thnks fr the pdate Mrk!

Honestly, I was a bit worried with that storm. Glad to see you and the girls are safe and sound.

#30 ·
Glad you made it. Hope you have time to share some passage stories. Yes, SN has screwed things up royally. They did an update that disturbs functionality, if you have an adblocker running. It doesn't seem as if they were trying to cause problems with adblockers and claim to be tying to fix it, but it's clearly not a priority.

#32 ·
Mark

Glad you made it to the Horta. Too bad the letter A got washed overboard though. :) BTW Marine Traffic did say your AIS signal was picked up on Satellite but, it costs $$$ to sign up for access to that info. So I don't know where or for how long they were able to see your signal on your crossing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.