Buzzards Bay to Greenport, LI - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 05-29-2017 Thread Starter
Pearson Commander

Buzzards Bay to Greenport, LI

Will be sailing my (new to me) 1983 Sea Sprite 28 from where I purchased her (Pocasset, MA) down to my home waters of the peconic bays on long island. Looking for any advice, thoughts, experiences from others who have made similar trips.

Will be heading up this Sunday and planning to leave Monday morning on the first leg and hopefully make it to Cutty Hunk. Then for the second leg, Cutty to Block. And finally, Block to Greenport, LI. I took the week off from work, so I am not in a huge rush, so I can wait for the best weather conditions. Also want to relax and enjoy the learning process of sailing a new boat.

I have done this sail before but on a much larger boat (Catalina 42), but that was 5-6 years ago. Just looking to see if anyone had any advice on tides, routes, local info, and anything else that may be helpful!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-29-2017
HANUMAN

Re: Buzzards Bay to Greenport, LI

Eldridge's is your second best friend in these here parts.
1. weather
2. currents
fallard and mbianka like this.

HANUMAN
'88 C&C 30 MKII
NOANK, CT
post #3 of 18 Old 05-29-2017 Thread Starter
Pearson Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobGallagher View Post
Eldridge's is your second best friend in these here parts.
1. weather
2. currents
Thanks for the advice - I have my copy at the ready! Are there any areas in particular, that planning for current is important? Just want to figure out if there are any trouble areas I can make sure to plan ahead for.

post #4 of 18 Old 05-29-2017

Not much to add, it's pretty straightforward. Check wind and current. When they oppose, it will chop. The leg from Block to Greenport feels long, probably because you see Montauk early, then Gardiner, but still have a long way to go.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #5 of 18 Old 05-29-2017
Learning the HARD way...

Cuttyhunk to Block could be a long way in a 28 footer at this time of year. I suggest planning Third Beach or Newport as bail-out options for day 2. Then head to Block, or Pt Judith, on day 3. You could be in Greenport on day 4.

The strongest currents that you could encounter are probably as you exit Pocasset Harbor.

Weather (especially this year) will be the biggest factor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

post #6 of 18 Old 05-29-2017 Thread Starter
Pearson Commander

Thanks all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
Cuttyhunk to Block could be a long way in a 28 footer at this time of year. I suggest planning Third Beach or Newport as bail-out options for day 2. Then head to Block, or Pt Judith, on day 3. You could be in Greenport on day 4.

The strongest currents that you could encounter are probably as you exit Pocasset Harbor.

Weather (especially this year) will be the biggest factor.
Appreciate the advice. I think i am most worried about the cutty - block run myself, so will definitely map out all possible bail-out spots, in case the weather turns, or any other issue that may arise.
post #7 of 18 Old 05-29-2017
Learning the HARD way...

The prevailing winds are from the southwest. The transit from Cutty to Block is heading 265ºM (aka. on the nose) for 31 miles with some serious fetch... Third Beach is a well protected anchorage/mooring field that should be a close hauled heading (285ºM). After 13 miles close hauled you will be happy to see RW "SR" and then fall off to a beam reach to third beach. The next day will be a 20 mile close haul (if you are lucky - heading 245ºM) to Block, but you will be somewhat protected by Pt Judith Neck.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

post #8 of 18 Old 05-29-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by mceveritt View Post
Thanks all!

Appreciate the advice. I think i am most worried about the cutty - block run myself, so will definitely map out all possible bail-out spots, in case the weather turns, or any other issue that may arise.
I think that's a fun run. Put a line out. There is some good fishing ground, when you get close to Block. I grabbed a mahi-mahi out there, but it was a bit later in the season, when the water is warmer.

If you take the rhumb line from Cutty to Block, once you get abeam the first real bail-out at the Sakonnet river, you'll be about equidistant to it and Block. If you're worried about the leg, you'll be best to stay closer to shore, making the total trip a bit longer.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #9 of 18 Old 05-29-2017

Best advice... ride the tide... makes a huge difference.
post #10 of 18 Old 05-29-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by mceveritt View Post
Thanks all!

Done that leg maybe a dozen and a half times. The currents can definitely help or hurt, depending on timing. You can shave a little distance by cutting inside of the 1bi bouy that's about 2 miles off the north tip - the bar doesn't run all the way out to it, but feel around slowly and watch other boats in the area cross it (usually a line of boats fishing at the tipe rip there.).
Enjoy

Matthew
1985 Catalina 36 ¡Que Chévere!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in