SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Cape Cod Canal - reassure me!

4K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  TomMaine 
#1 ·
OK, I've posted this question before and had some good answers, some nebulous answers and some real good help from one of our members. So, this weekend, probably Saturday, I should be transiting the canal west to east. I'm planning on making my run

1 hour after low tide in Buzzard's Bay.

Is this everybody's basic method?

#2 ·
For me, I usually wait anchored at near Wickets Is on Onset Bay and simply ride 'the flush' eastward just as soon as when the tide 'turns'. .... and that's about 1 hour after the turn of tide in Buzzards.
I actually use a tide/current program: "Mr. Tides" which is 'coupled' to my back-up ENC laptop 'app'. I also usually have a current copy of Eldridge (the 'gospel') on board when traveling through the NE.

#4 ·
1 hr. 'after' Buzzards, if memory is correct. ;-)

If the tide is at full 'rush' ('half tide'), there can be a 'tremendous' cross-current in the narrow (Onset) channel at the intersection with the CCCanal when coming out of or going into Onset Bay. So, if you plan on Onset as a stop-over, do check the tide height/current for entering Onset, as well as leaving.

#5 ·
OK, I've posted this question before and had some good answers, some nebulous answers and some real good help from one of our members. So, this weekend, probably Saturday, I should be transiting the canal west to east. I'm planning on making my run

1 hour after low tide in Buzzard's Bay.

Is this everybody's basic method?
Hi,
I don't have Eldridge with me right now (is at home), but I would say that the flood (when current turn to East) starts aprox after low tide...but it depends on where you look in Cape Cod (for example). You really want to check the current table for that, and specially for the Cape Cod Canal. You can check different apps. The once I use on my laptop is deepzoom (http://www.deepzoom.com); which I have compared tides and currents from Eldridge and they tend to be similar (plus minus 15 minutes). On this web they say on Saturday 10, low tide is at 05:36 am and high tide at 10:44 am (RR bridge), but flood current (to East) starts at 04:36 am (well slack current at that point).

#10 ·
My information from Garmin Bluechart Mobile is reasonably consistent with the above quote (and the recommendations of the other posters). It looks like the OP is getting a consistent story on a morning transit from the Onset side to the Cape Cod Bay side. Good luck!

#6 ·
That sounds like a good plan.

According to the Corps of Engineers table, this Sat (June 10th 2017) at Wings Neck the tide turns East at 5:27 am (RR Bridge + 15mins) and at Sandwich, turns West at 11:21 (RR bridge - 15mins). So your a.m. window is to enter at Wings Neck after 5:27 am and aim to reach Sandwich before 11:21am.

Similarly the Evening window is Wings Neck After 5:45 pm and Complete by 11:27 pm.

There's a lot of talk about when to enter to optimize your time but usually there are other consideration that govern your schedule. You get swirled around a bit sometimes but it's easier than you think. Just don't try to go against the current.

Just a thought - I see you are in Maine and this is your first transit. You do mean West to East, Right?

#8 ·
Geoff54 has it right. AM transit west to east this weekend.

With an early tide like that I usually anchor up in Onset, make breakfast motoring through the canal for an early start. If you do that, with W-SW fairly brisk you can easily make Cape Ann same day.

Good luck.

#9 ·
Saturday looks like any time between 6am and 10am will be fine. The canal is not a big deal as long as you are out by 11am. The current is not forecast to be especially large compared to some of the maximum levels you see in spring and autumn (3-4 kts vs 6+ kts).

Hope this helps.

#11 ·
FWIW to OP, two weeks ago we entered the Canal channel at 7:30 AM from Buzzards Bay with a cruising speed of seven knots, and a SOG of six knots . The flood start time was 8AM. We exited the Canal into Mass Bay around 9:15 with a SOG of 9.5... Dont worry about it...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.