heckling? - Page 6 - SailNet Community
 66Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 58 Old 06-24-2017
Old as Dirt!

Re: heckling?

Unfortunately, our Spring Cruises always seem to correspond with the tarpon fishing tournaments out of Boca Grande. With that, coming into Boca Grand Pass can be a real pip:

Usually, giving five good blasts with an air horn will get these buggers to move enough to allow us to get through the mob. Unfortunately, some folks are very persistent at holding their "ground" until they suddenly realize that one is coming through the Pass, with or without their cooperation. Then they do move...quickly! Of course, as we pass we generally say "Excuse Us" or words to that effect. Rarely do we get more than cross looks...

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 58 Old 06-24-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
never experienced anything I would consider heckling, now I feel left out
Geez, no respect at all for how hard we here have been trying…

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Current boat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Previous boat
post #53 of 58 Old 06-24-2017

Capta: My comment was not meant to be critical of you but an observation of human nature. It seems to me that far fewer people care or are aware of their surroundings, let alone follow some law or practice of etiquette. It is obvious when driving a motor vehicle, boat, or even pushing a shopping cart in a crowded store that the world is being overtaken by Mr. Magoo's. Just observing the actions of those trying to launch boats while waiting my turn at my local sailing spot confirms that "me and mine" thought process is very healthy in society.

Last edited by Rocky Mountain Breeze; 06-24-2017 at 10:55 AM.

post #54 of 58 Old 06-27-2017

Wife was at the wheel as we were going down the Chesapeake coming from the C&D. As we approached a bridge heard the following. Ship was a good size. Sail boat was maybe 30'. Ship captain was a lady with a pleasant soft voice. Sail boat had an aggressive hoarse edge to his voice. Ship was just starting to pass under the bridge coming up the channel. Sail boat was entering the channel to cross just north of the bridge.
Ship- sailboat off port bow please turn around or we will hit you.
Sail- no we have right of way.
Ship- not true we are draft restricted.
Sail- we are under sail and will continue.
Ship- please look at us. We are a ship. You will not even dent our bow. It will take us miles to slow down. Turn now or deal with the consequences.
Sail - oh

It's not the rudeness but the sense of entitlement that's so appalling.
Arcb and redfishnc like this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #55 of 58 Old 06-27-2017
Dirt Free

Once made the mistake of pulling out of Annapolis (to head upstream) on opening day of rockfish season. After over an hour of trying to weave through the cross channel trollers and making almost no headway we decided to try out our line cutter .... it worked

We spent the next hour being cursed on the radio. Strangely it didn't hurt my feelings at all

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #56 of 58 Old 06-27-2017
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Ship captain was a lady with a pleasant soft voice.
Wouldn't that ship or any vessel over a certain size be under the command of a pilot in the Chesapeake? Pilots are a different breed. They have zero responsibility, so they can do things a bit differently that a captain.
They also have to deal with these idiots on a daily basis, so they have little patience to suffer the fools. Good on the Chesapeake Bay Pilot's Association for having at least one female pilot.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #57 of 58 Old 06-27-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Ship captain was a lady with a pleasant soft voice.
Wouldn't that ship or any vessel over a certain size be under the command of a pilot in the Chesapeake? Pilots are a different breed. They have zero responsibility, so they can do things a bit differently that a captain.
They also have to deal with these idiots on a daily basis, so they have little patience to suffer the fools. Good on the Chesapeake Bay Pilot's Association for having at least one female pilot.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...=.9d24158d8bf7
post #58 of 58 Old 06-27-2017

∆∆∆

34 is a young pilot. I have a couple of friends with the great lakes pilotage authority, smart guys, dedicated. None of them made it before 40. They make crazy money. Impressive.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in