Seriously, are there any sailboats out there..... - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Don0190

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 06-26-2017 Thread Starter

Seriously, are there any sailboats out there.....

that don't have issues with chain plate bulkhead rot or deck mast compression? I am talking in the 1970-1980 range of boats. I am ready to buy a 32 footer and it seems like every single brand I research and read forums about have these same 2 issues over and over again. That means even if you buy one that doesn't have these issues, sooner or later it will. I totally understand chain plate rot for one should do regular maintenance and re-bed their deck hardware however, one can't really change the engineering of a deck stepped mast. Are keel stepped mast always better?

I have looked at the Catalina, Bristol, Ericson and a few others. I am very picky when it comes to the cabin layout and must have a side dinette so I am a tad limited to make & model. I also must have an inboard with wheel and a fully enclosed head. A side U shaped galley would be nice but can deal with the galley on the starboard side if lengthy.

The other issue is, one must buy a boat close to home unless of course they are retired and can take 2-3 months off to fly and sail their boat home. I own a 36' slip on Lake Huron so I am sort of limited for a purchase on the Great Lakes unless of course I want to pay $1500.00 or more to have it shipped to me.

Show me a boat I can buy under $15,000 that I can drop in and sail with small upkeep but no major issues. I can fix anything and love putzing on boats however, to fix a major mast compression is a PITA and possibly expensive. And yes, I will always pay for a surveyor. I know, I know, if I spend $50,000 I could get a nice boat but then I would have to tell my 3 daughters that they can't finish their college degrees.

One I am looking at:
https://swmi.craigslist.org/boa/6180859069.html

A Catalina I like:
1979 Catalina 30 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

A Bristol I like in the UP:
https://up.craigslist.org/boa/6137977717.html

1985 O'Day 26'

I spent all my money on booze, boats and broads. And the rest of it, I wasted. - Elmore Leonard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-26-2017
bell ringer

Re: Seriously, are there any sailboats out there.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce3966 View Post
that don't have issues with chain plate bulkhead rot or deck mast compression? I am talking in the 1970-1980 range of boats. I am ready to buy a 32 footer and it seems like every single brand I research and read forums about have these same 2 issues over and over again. That means even if you buy one that doesn't have these issues, sooner or later it will.
That's just crazy thinking!!! If you are looking a 70-80s boat and it doesn't have rot, it doesn't have rot!!!

On the other hand if you look at ANY boat and don't understand that sometime in its' future if it lives long enough it will have some rot, there you are crazy!

When shopping a 70-80s boat all that matter is the condition it is in NOW!!!
seabeau likes this.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-26-2017
Administrator

Quote:
that don't have issues with chain plate bulkhead rot or deck mast compression? I am talking in the 1970-1980 range of boats. I am ready to buy a 32 footer and it seems like every single brand I research and read forums about have these same 2 issues over and over again. That means even if you buy one that doesn't have these issues, sooner or later it will. I totally understand chain plate rot for one should do regular maintenance and re-bed their deck hardware however, one can't really change the engineering of a deck stepped mast. Are keel stepped mast always better?

I have looked at the Catalina, Bristol, Ericson and a few others. I also must have an inboard with wheel and a fully enclosed head. A side U shaped galley would be nice but can deal with the galley on the starboard side if lengthy.
There is no good answer when it comes to damage due to water infiltration, especially when you are trying to buy a 30-40 year old, 32 footer for $15,000. Boats with both keel stepped and deck stepped mast can equally rot out their chainplate attachment points, and probably have shot chainplates by now (if they haven't been replaced), especially on freshwater where you don't have salt to pickle the wood and reduce the chance of rot.

While deck stepped masts tend to damage the decking and the kind posts below the mast, keel stepped masts tend to run water across the deck and into the bilge. Unless robustly constructed, on really older boats, they also tend to have transverse frame issues at the mast step.

The other thing is that most 1970's and early 1980's 32 footers where designed for a tiller and are really screwed up by adding a wheel. In some ways this should work in your favor since most experienced sailor who care about how their boat sails would not buy one of these boats with a wheel. So that should push the price down some, but because wheels are expensive to install, and the guys who put them in think there is some reason to have one, they seem to hold out for higher prices, and so their boats languish on the market until someone comes along willing to pay the fare.

Quote:
This is not a Bristol; its a Newport. Bristol built a number of really nice boats in terms of sailing ability and build quality. Newport is very different story altogether.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Last edited by Jeff_H; 06-26-2017 at 05:54 PM.

post #4 of 5 Old 06-26-2017 Thread Starter

I guess maybe I should have worded my question differently. I am just wondering if there are boats I should stay away from due to having way more issues than other boats. Being new to sailing I am unfamiliar with all the different boats so I thought I would ask as I start looking for a new boat in the 30'-32' range.

1985 O'Day 26'

I spent all my money on booze, boats and broads. And the rest of it, I wasted. - Elmore Leonard
post #5 of 5 Old 06-27-2017
Barquito

Like Don said, it matters more what condition the boat is in now, rather that what areas MAY be a problem. I think you realize from your initial post that if the boat has been kept well, there will be minimal water intrusion to ruin the chainplates. If the beam for the deck stepped mast is in good shape now, and has been for 30 years, don't expect it to go bad in the next few years.

Regarding the dinette layout; I like that arrangement. Had it in my Catalina 22. However, while underway heeled to that side, there won't me as much comfortable seating.

Valiant 32

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in