Would like others opinion on this 1972 Newport 30 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 07-01-2017 Thread Starter

Would like others opinion on this 1972 Newport 30

Well,I would like to get some experienced sailors opinions on this boat. Providing the survey comes back good and I sail it for a few hours and see what I think, do you think from the photos and description of what the PO has done to it, it is worth $10,000-$11,000? Thanks! I meant a 1974 30-2.

What the PO has said---I have owned sunset for 10 years, with inside storage every year. I have done all maintenance and upgrades myself, bought a larger boat in Canada recently and need to sell this one. Hull Allgriped in 2010, deck epoxied and Allgriped 2009, Re-powered with 2cyl Yanmar diesel 2016, New Doyle sails in 2016, replaced tiller with Edson wheel and Raymarine 1000 auto helm. Interior rebuilt with native white cedar 20008, new cushions in cockpit 2009. 3 batteries newer with 1500 watt inverter, Large 40 lb Danforth on bow roller with 30 feet of 3/8 chain, Newer alcohol stove and new refig last year. 3 year old dodger like new. I spent last summer in the North Channel with this boat last summer and it handled the 1000 mile journey with ease and grace. We love this boat but need large to cruise further. I estimate have spent $15000 up grading this boat over 10 years. 2 year old custom Doyle main sail and 135 head sail on a Harken furler. This is a turnkey sail away boat. Spent 5 weeks in the North Channel last summer and Sunset did the cruise with ease.
Attached Thumbnails
NP2.jpg   NP8.jpg   NP6.jpg   NP14.jpg   NP17.jpg  

1985 O'Day 26'

I spent all my money on booze, boats and broads. And the rest of it, I wasted. - Elmore Leonard

Last edited by Bruce3966; 07-01-2017 at 12:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-01-2017
Master Mariner

Re: Would like others opinion on this 1972 Newport 30

I don't think there is such a thing as a 'turnkey' sailboat. Even a brand new one, right out of the factory, can have serious problems.
As for what an owner says, I'd take that with about as much faith as I would the spiel of a used car salesman.
As far as it's worth, there are plenty of sites you can peruse to find equivalent boats and their prices. It all really just comes down to if it's the boat you want, and you can afford it, then buy it. No one can do much to help you with that decision, except your surveyor.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #3 of 5 Old 07-01-2017
HANUMAN

IF it has all the upgrades it says it does it COULD be worth 9 - 14K to the RIGHT BUYER.

IF you are looking for an early 70's Newport or similar boat then the upgrades add significant value. New sails are worth a couple grand, new canvas a couple grand. Newer Yanmar 2 banger is worth several thousand.

It's a $2500 boat with lots of goodies. I would get a survey because if there is a major underlying issue the boat is worth nothing.

10K might get you a newer boat with older stuff bolted on. JMHO, YMMV.

WINDHOVER
1999 CATALINA 36 MKII
NOANK, CT

post #4 of 5 Old 07-01-2017

As has been noted this is an old boat that has been extensively upgraded. Assuming this boat suits your needs and the survey shows no serious issues, it's probably worth it.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
post #5 of 5 Old 07-01-2017

Assuming it is this boat, a few comments:

- Upholstery doesn't look that great
- The way the lifelines slope down at bow indicate a low cut genoa. Not that safe. I would prefer a higher cut sail and full height lifelines all way to pulpit
- That fire extinguisher in cockpit is in an awful position.
- lots of exterior wood means lots of work!
- ad says pedestal steering installed 3yrs ago, but not in pics. Old pics??
- DIY upgrades? Need to check quality of work - engine install, electrics, etc

It is an older boat than others on market. At $10k, probably about right if survey shows no serious faults and that it does have a NEW Yanmar plus the other recent upgrades claimed are properly installed (Sails, Steering, refrig etc). By comparison, you could get a 72-75 C&C30 in the US$10-$15k range although mostly gas powered.

Last edited by FreeAgent; 07-01-2017 at 09:06 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in