28 Oday to Bermuda - SailNet Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 07-06-2017 Thread Starter

28 Oday to Bermuda

Intermediate sailor. Have made the passage once as a crew of 2 on a larger boat. What are your thought on taking a 28 Oday to Bermuda?
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-06-2017

Re: 28 Oday to Bermuda

With good weather, doable. That being said, O'day is a good coastal cruiser. Was never made to be a blue water boat.

Catalina 34
post #3 of 13 Old 07-06-2017 Thread Starter

Chuck thanks and acknowledge. On The passage I crewed, the ocean was glass for 5 days. Our Skipper was masterful at planning the weather window and nailed it after we waited in Beaufort NC for nearly a week. Hope to do the same.

post #4 of 13 Old 07-06-2017

Not me. I wouldn't consider anything smaller than about 35 feet. Above 40 is better.
chef2sail and travlin-easy like this.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
post #5 of 13 Old 07-06-2017

Definitely doable. Just make sure both you and the boat are ready for the trip and watch the weather as you said. Reef early. Easy does it. Have a safe trip.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #6 of 13 Old 07-07-2017

It's 90% the skipper, the other half is the weather (in my best Yogi Bera). The skipper's qualifications are beyond their ability to sail, they are the one responsible to assess everything, before casting off. Needing to ask, raises suspicion.

Weather can not be predicted accurately for the length of time it will take for a 28 ft sailboat to make Bermuda. I'm not saying it can't be done, only that it will require more analysis of weather than reviewing a simple forecast. Some 4-5 day forecasts can be relied upon more than others, but after 5 days, they are all fantasy.

The other factor is potentially finding oneself becalmed. Can the 28 carry enough fuel to prevent an even longer trip and even less accurate weather prediction?
Slayer and Sal Paradise like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #7 of 13 Old 07-07-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
Definitely doable. Just make sure both you and the boat are ready for the trip and watch the weather as you said. Reef early. Easy does it. Have a safe trip.
And + 1 on Minnes reply.

It is doable if you pick the weather carefully. Keep in mind that you will have to leave the island, so coming back (or on to points south) will be just as tricky.
Check the rig and sails and ensure all ship's systems are in top shape. Treat it as a serious passage and monitor the GS to cross at the ideal spot. Avoid north winds at all costs if you can.

Good luck and be safe.
post #8 of 13 Old 07-07-2017

Dock

How do you get back?

When I was on Bermuda a small boat came in with 2 guys on it who didn't want to sail on or back.

They were not allowed to give the boat away unless they paid 20% tax on what the Bermuda s thought it was worth.

So, as Bermuda is not a destination, what are you going to do with it?
Sal Paradise likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #9 of 13 Old 07-07-2017

Maybe the OP could do a 5 or 6-day run parallel to the coast as a sea trial for the Bermuda trip. There would be opportunities to bail out if the weather turned nasty which would require the skipper to anticipate conditions and make his move early. Being as there are only about 5 inlets that are useable in deteriorated conditions, the skipper may not bail out due to weather if he waits too long. Being offshore far enough and long enough (2 days ought to do it) for the blue water experience would be necessary to shake out crew that are susceptible to mal de mer.

Agree that a bigger boat is preferable, but chances are the Oday 28 can handle conditions that the crew would rather not experience. That presumes the boat is properly inspected and prepared. A former colleague sailed his Pearson 34 a couple of times in the Bermuda 1-2. He lost his rudder on on one of these (2-handed leg) and was able to return 108 miles to Bermuda, steering with drogues required by the race committee. The next time he was dismasted on the single handed leg to Bermuda and was also able to secure the debris (~4-5 hours) and motor the rest of the way to Bermuda. My friend was a serious guy with serious offshore sailing experience who prepared his boat properly. That said, the trip to Bermuda should not be taken lightly by the uninitiated.
bristol299bob likes this.
post #10 of 13 Old 07-09-2017 Thread Starter

Thanks to all for the insight. Most grateful.
I think I will try some sea trials along the coast first as suggested. I'm supremely confident the boat can make it with prudent preparedness. The weather and my skill will have to be factored and that's certainly my charge as the skipper. I do take notice though of the 3'8" shoal draft keel. As mentioned in an earlier post, the Oday is not a bluewater vessel, but heavy winds with that keel can make things sporty for sure - especially in the stream.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in