The current current - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 07-10-2017 Thread Starter
Master Mariner

The current current

All over the world there are these fancy oceanographic buoys. I know, because I've seen them in the oddest places, really I have.
But no where, nada and niente can I find a way to access the information I assume all these buoys are transmitting to someone. I've searched and searched and even searched a bit more, but my search skills are admittedly pretty poor.
Has anyone any idea of how one might access this information? I'm specifically looking for information on the channel between Grenada and Trinidad. Or any site with sea surface currents for this area.
I had a pretty good one but it seems to be stuck on 2017-06-21 20:00 Local, which doesn't help at all.
Thanks in advance.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-10-2017
bell ringer

Re: The current current

Do a search for NOAA bouts and you find the site with a world map of the buoys that you can zoom in on and click on to get the bouy data. Take note the number for faster next time. There is also a dail a bouy you can call once you know the number

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old 07-10-2017 Thread Starter
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
Do a search for NOAA bouts and you find the site with a world map of the buoys that you can zoom in on and click on to get the bouy data. Take note the number for faster next time. There is also a dail a bouy you can call once you know the number
Everything except current, but thank you. It's a good real time wind source, if there's a buoy around.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

post #4 of 13 Old 07-10-2017

Many of these buoys are uploading / downlinking to/from satellites ...
here's a listing of the various frequencies (all over the radio spectrum, but usually in the microwave area): Meteorological Satellite Frequencies
You really don't need to transcribe the buoy data, just the downlink data from the satellites.

The buoys and satellites typically have an antenna that looks similar to the helical DNA molecule.
Such 'quadrafiliar helix' antennas typically will (was <2000) be broadcasting or receiving in µmHz or higher.
Websearch NOAA and other International Meteo sources for the routines needed to translate the raw data into 'computer literate' onto your laptop, etc.

FWIW - About 20+ years ago, I was looking into such for direct downlinking of the raw NOAA, etc. Wx data for when far offshore. At that time I 'coarse bread-boarded' (at home) a Qf-helix for ~146mHz (now obsolete for sat. work) of about 900-1000 mm (~3ft.) in length; but, already had enough 'crap on de back' of my boat and decided to forego the project. The shift to microwave and 'higher' frequencies should now allow quite smaller antennas - probably in the size of handheld GPS antennas.
There's lot of info on the internet for cobbling these antennas together ... once you have the Tx/Rx ƒrequencies of what you're looking for.

Of course, you can have someone else do all the translating and analysis, and use your SSB or internet link to get their finished broadcasted product.
Attached Thumbnails
QHFTHumb2.jpg  
post #5 of 13 Old 07-10-2017
Sailor

post #6 of 13 Old 07-10-2017 Thread Starter
Master Mariner

Thank you, another good resource.

post #7 of 13 Old 07-10-2017 Thread Starter
Master Mariner

For a channel that has so much traffic, I'm amazed that there's no current info available.
I've even tried to get a phone number for the Hibiscus Rig, which is right on our course, to no avail.
It's going to be an interesting passage.

post #8 of 13 Old 07-11-2017

I use an android app called Tides Near Me. Does high/low tide and currents (max ebb, max flood, and slack). I like it.
oysterman23 likes this.
post #9 of 13 Old 07-11-2017 Thread Starter
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahbltz2 View Post
I use an android app called Tides Near Me. Does high/low tide and currents (max ebb, max flood, and slack). I like it.
Would you please check if it will give you current at N11°07.90' W061°40.50' or there abouts. Tide info unnecessary.Thanks

post #10 of 13 Old 07-17-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Would you please check if it will give you current at N11°07.90' W061°40.50' or there abouts. Tide info unnecessary.Thanks
Looks like that's a no. Didn't see it in the list here: https://tidesnear.me/countries.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in