To voyage or not? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 36 Old 07-20-2017

Dock
Re: To voyage or not?

Lastly:

I just arrived in France Atlantic side at 50 degrees North.
From 40 deg N the weather has SUCKED big time.

When I get back to the Caribbean end 2018 I will not be leaving (except for my annual jaunt to New York each year).

For a fun retirement the Caribbean is fantastic.
Sal Paradise and Towguy like this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 36 Old 07-20-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Just lost my near complete post. Was brilliant too. Telling you you need a FAT KICK UP THE ASS!

Antigua is fun for 3 weeks per year but: no Supermarket, no chandler, no off season fun.

Get your boat to St Martin and get a GOOD mooring behind Witches Tit for H season and cruise where u want.
The biggest chndelries in the WORLD!
Best supermarkets in the Caribbean (New Carefour in SXM)
Cheapest flights to USA.

Lordy, boy, you could be splattered by a bus tomorrow. 10 years time you'll be a dribbling mess of incontinence!

Go NOW you slack bummed tosser!

Oh, and beer is cheap
I know St Maarten well... anchored off in Philipsburg for weeks on end... It has it all in terms of "things"... But I have not been there for 15yrs or more... Time to join the fun! ;-)
post #13 of 36 Old 07-20-2017

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
I am definitely leaning toward doing this... But I also have to care for my sister as her health care proxy and POA as she has dementia... and on top of that only brother is in home hospice... Leaving them would be kinda selfish... On the other hand I need to escape that TOO.
The year I left my Mum was diagnosed with dementia and a 2 year life expectancy and I thought it selfish to leave... Now 10 years later she has a further 5 years life expectancy.

I would have destroyed my life...

And she always says 'when are you coming home?'

It's tough. But why does the end of 1 persons life mean ending others lives?
SanderO and Arcb like this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 07-20-2017 at 10:26 AM.

post #14 of 36 Old 07-20-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
The year I left my Mum was diagnosed with dementia and a 2 year life expectancy and I thought it selfish to leave... Now 10 years later she has a further 5 years life expectancy.

The life expectancy and needs are difficult one. I don't expect my sister to die before next Spring... but my brother might. He has a wife and grown children. My sister is complete alone and so it all falls on me. The facilities don't care... they warehouse these patients.

+++

My life is not destroyed if I don't bring the boat to the Caribe.. I had the wonderful experience when I was 44 of living aboard down there for 3 years and in Spain for 6 months. I enjoy sailing / cruising locally AND all sorts of cultural things in NYC... that the Caribe cannot offer...like see the Bolshoi ballet... which I am seeing tonite.
CalebD and MarkofSeaLife like this.

Last edited by SanderO; 07-20-2017 at 11:12 AM.
post #15 of 36 Old 07-20-2017

S- Feel your pain brother as I have similar concerns due to family. One of the reasons for the back and forth. Otherwise would be doing the pond to Med or canal to south pacific. However Mark is spot on about SXM. Best provisions, easy anchorage on french side with good bottom (stay out of stinky lagoon) and good cruising network to learn the local ropes. Cheap local phones to hot spot for secure internet ( wake up real early, get your work done before 6a and you'll be fine). Also surprisingly St.Barth is fine as long as you stay out of Gustavia. Quiet times off of Saba . Its all good. For the winter we've done the routine of leaving one on the boat and having the other fly home to deal with "stuff". Leaving one on boat in Virgins and flying out of USVI means cheapest, easiest flights and an area the other can single around or just hang out in low stress environment. Even Park moorings are just $15/n.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #16 of 36 Old 07-20-2017
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
I have lived down there on my boat for 3 years... so it's not new to me... and I likely have the time... the wife still works unless she retires and she can if she wants...

Up here in the winter is boring and I pine for the Caribe... I could do months down there... wife less so... friends could also come for a few weeks at a time... a lovely vacation for them.... beats a weekend in LIS.

For me it's now or never AND I need a good crew and won't do it short handed as I did in the past... that would be stupid and exhausting. I think crew is not the issue... And of course spend all the money for offshore up grades for a single RT voyage???? I sold my water maker but won't buy a new one.
Your personal circumstances seem to favor doing it. Ask yourself the question: Will you regret not doing it later on?

Yes? Go.
No? Just charter.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #17 of 36 Old 07-20-2017
Captain Obvious

I love SXM and St Barth.

SanderO it occurs to me that you literally "wrote the book" on boat sharing. And yet you don't want to just fly down and rent a boat? LOL.

Anyway if you do decide to charter, I'd be interested in splitting $$$ with you. We could get a direct flight from Newark and be drinking beer with Mark by noon.
miatapaul and MarkofSeaLife like this.

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 07-20-2017 at 02:15 PM.
post #18 of 36 Old 07-20-2017
Master Mariner

First Antigua, especially Jolly Harbor, has a great way of storing boats over the summer. They dig a pit and put the keel in it so the boat is a foot or two in the soil and would be unlikely to fall over in a storm. Lock it and leave it; no care taker involved. Of course, you couldn't use it during that period, but it should be safe from storms.
Antigua is not the easiest or cheapest Island to get to, nor does it have the best sailing around it, though the island does have some lovely bays, if you are primarily interested in an abode that's warm, and not channel sailing.
As for your question, I think it all revolves on whether you will use the boat down here enough to warrant the expense of getting here and moving it.
If you are thinking of hiring a captain and chartering a bit when you aren't using the boat, consider one thing. There are no weather windows for a charter boat! Your boat will get some serious wear and tear.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #19 of 36 Old 07-20-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
First Antigua, especially Jolly Harbor, has a great way of storing boats over the summer. They dig a pit and put the keel in it so the boat is a foot or two in the soil and would be unlikely to fall over in a storm. Lock it and leave it; no care taker involved. Of course, you couldn't use it during that period, but it should be safe from storms.
Antigua is not the easiest or cheapest Island to get to, nor does it have the best sailing around it, though the island does have some lovely bays, if you are primarily interested in an abode that's warm, and not channel sailing.
As for your question, I think it all revolves on whether you will use the boat down here enough to warrant the expense of getting here and moving it.
If you are thinking of hiring a captain and chartering a bit when you aren't using the boat, consider one thing. There are no weather windows for a charter boat! Your boat will get some serious wear and tear.
Thank you for this post. You are likely unaware that I lived on Shiva in the Caribbean from 1991 - 1994 during 3 winters and am familiar with all the windward islands. I have made this passage many times including deliveries and I know what is involved with weather and wear and tear. I have no intention of leaving the boat down in the Islands in the hurricane season and so in the Spring I would sail Shiva back to NE.

I don't know the cost of several 3 or 4 charters... but my intention is to use the boat as much as I can from Fall until Spring... but I imagine they are something like $3,000 / wk for a boat like Shiva... so having her down there and using her for 6 weeks would be equivalent of $18,000. Sure there are expenses in equipment I will add to Shiva... and I get to use them till they die... AISb, flares, inReach and so on. Yes I have air fares... same as if I were to charter...

It much cheaper to have my boat there... and not all that expensive to get her there... I won't pay crew and I won't charge them either! If they pitch in great! Mostly I want to get my wife down there and she won't do the passage. I know the Islands... my wife doesn't. it's on her bucket list... not mine

Most of my passages were OK... one was literally ALL motoring if you can believe that returning from St Marten in late Spring.

I would never bare boat charter... no interest in it what so ever. But I am wondering how or whether to take the 10' RIB... no davits and with the inner forestay the foredeck may not have room. I have to see if it fits deflated... if not I need to get a dink down there... or borrow on from someone up here that I can roll up.

Last edited by SanderO; 07-20-2017 at 04:51 PM.
post #20 of 36 Old 07-20-2017

Quote:

Shortly after starting our cruise my father had to have open heart surgery. We docked in San Francisco, rented a car and returned to Oregon for the Surgery. My partner was a nurse so he had the best after care ever. Time well spent with my dad.
He insisted we continue our journey. I returned home every two years or so and spent QUALITY time with my folks. I left the boat on a mooring in Fiji one year to help them move to a smaller place. Just before he passed away I left the boat on a pile mooring deep up a river in Australia. Again, quality time with my folks.

My siblings and I figured that over the years cruising, I had spent more time with my folks then they had...

I'm glad I had the support from my folks to live my dream. They always said "Do it while your young"...not so young anymore, but still living the dream.

Will return stateside later this year to spend time with my Mom, sisters and cousins. Looking forward to it!

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in