Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NE & Windwards
Thanked 212 Times in 202 Posts
Rep Power: 8
Re: To voyage or not?
We've examined and reexamined this calculus for four years now. For us it still comes up as back and forth from leewards to New England.
1. Have family including very young grandchildren and infirm antecedents. We see them and deal with the various issues of the antecedents during hurricane season up here. Reality is rare visits from family while in Caribbean but frequent when north.
2. Maintenance is primarily done when north. I have the time and resources of my tools and contacts while up here. Exceptions are things outlawed or too expensive when north. If hiring labor I know my service vendors up north and assured of quality of work.
3. The New England coast is totally outstanding. Would greatly miss cruising here.
4. Best parts of cruising the Caribbean are the spots you can't go to on a charter boat. Either due to the inadequate ground tackle provided, charter company restrictions, or lack of time. We go east and west during the winter. We spend time at anchor depending on our RO for water and sun/wind for electricity. Often in one spot for a week or two while investigating that area or soaking up that culture.
5. Yacht management and lay up down south is chock full with its own set of stresses and expenses. To protect our considerable investment would need to remove and find secure storage for the valueables on the boat, find and pay for hurricane safe secure storage, protect from moisture damage with AC or dehumidifiers run on the boat at least periodically, periodic inspections by yacht management, protect from vermin and insects and lastly theft and vandalism. Expense at present exceeds that of passage. Have heard of too many horror stories of damage done during summer layups to do a southern layup half asssed. Wet storage is bad option. Once layed up the boat is gone from usaged for the summer.
6. Lastly I love my boat. I get physically ill if I don't get to sail. Don't want to go 4-5 months without her.
P.S. We currently take rare passages. From OPs description neither the OP nor I voyage:-).
Last edited by outbound; 07-20-2017 at 09:47 AM.