Why do sailors stop sailing? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 87Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 88 Old 07-25-2017

Re: Why do sailors stop sailing?

Regarding aches and pains of arthritis and exercise-induced muscle and joint pain: The key is to reduce inflammation. A lot of inflammation is caused by food - so eliminate the foods that are known to cause inflammation. Some foods reduce inflammation - eat as many of those as you can. Everybody is a little different, so you have to discover what works for you. One strategy is to do as I described above, then change one thing (add a food that you've eliminated from your diet or eliminate a anti-inflammatory food that you don't like) at a time and see how you react. Reactions are not instant, so allow changes to occur over weeks/months.

I've eliminated all my aches and pains by eliminating sugar and grains, cut way back on beer wine, and booze. I don't miss them at all because whenever I eat or drink then, I feel like crap for a few days. Additionally, I've been drinking tart cherry juice for it's anti-inflammatory effect. I felt worn out through my late 50s. Now that I'm 60, my joints feel like I'm in my 40s.
David Chin likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 88 Old 07-25-2017

Eat what you what, drink what you want, all in moderation, been a stone mason for the last 31 years, exercise regularly. I feel great. Sail, ride mountain and road bicycles, downhill ski, ride both street and dirtbikes, rock and ice climb.....
Special diets just suck the joy out of life and do nothing unless you have a specific dietary issue that a REAL doctor has diagnosed.

That is a horse head in the box. Not an alien!
post #13 of 88 Old 07-25-2017
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Snyder View Post
That is an impressive feat for a boat with a crew; as single-handed, amazing!

How do you douse the kite? The old fashioned way by releasing the shackle on the guy?
The answer to your question depends on whether I am racing single-hand (and expect to need the chute again) or cruising. When racing, I make sure that the guys is carefully coiled (figure 8 style) so it is free to run. I do the same with the halyard. Then I pull the guy off the winch and manually feed it out until I am sure that the chute is flagging and there is plenty of slack in the guy. Then I do the drop. That allows me to attach the halyard, and sheets and set up for the next hoist, or run the luff and raise out of the companionway.

If I am cruising, or its really heavy winds, then ease the pole to the forestay, blow the shackle on the guy and drop the chute a leisure.

Here is a write-up that I wrote on solo sailing which is on CHESSS (Chesapeake Short-handed Society webpage)

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/1795e...72d3e3da25.pdf

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

post #14 of 88 Old 07-25-2017

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Global warming🌈🌨🌪🤘
travlin-easy likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #15 of 88 Old 07-25-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
Then I began to do yoga, which went a long way towards improving my back pain, muscle tone, and balance.
I am a big fan of yoga. I used to go every Wednesday night, but I fell out of the habit. I need to get back in.

Yoga combats so much of what goes wrong when you age. Balance, strength, flexibility. The yoga class I used to go to have a range of people from young, buff body builders to octogenarians.

I was at a raft-up of four small boats last weekend and some of the younger more fit people were doing "acroyoga" where one person would hold a pose that involved holding the other person up, who would also be doing a pose. On the deck of a small sailboat with people walking around! That's some balance. Serves a sailor well.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9558.JPG  
aeventyr60 likes this.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #16 of 88 Old 07-25-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Global warming🌈🌨🌪🤘
I usually stop sailing when I run aground.
travlin-easy and David Chin like this.

Last edited by FreeAgent; 07-25-2017 at 04:55 PM.
post #17 of 88 Old 07-25-2017 Thread Starter

NaptownLarry, thank you for sharing your sailing history. I am 73 years old; but I am still looking for ways to get fit enough to return to sailing. All the replies here are very helpful. Thank you all.

Last edited by David Chin; 07-25-2017 at 05:24 PM. Reason: grammar
post #18 of 88 Old 07-25-2017

I had my 72nd birthday cruising to the Florida Keys from the upper reaches of Chesapeake Bay. I fully intended to make that trip again this fall, but mother nature has a way of taking her toll when it comes to aging, which is not usually a graceful process. Now, at 77, my aging mind continues to make my body can no longer keep. Tomorrow, I'm sailing about 30 miles to North East, Maryland to have a skinny, marine mechanic dive into my engine compartment and adjust my stuffing box, which I can no longer accomplish.

Ironically, when I went on a day sail 10 years ago, the essentials were: a small Italian Hogi, a 12 pack of Coors Light, a bag of potato chips, and a bag of ice. Now, I carry an oxygen generator, a rescue inhaler, and a supply of pills, just in case I stay out later than anticipated. And, when I pass a topless honey skinny dipping off her boat, I just cast a passing glance, wave, smile, then turn up the oxygen generator a notch.

So, my advice to all you youngsters out there, those that are still in good health and physical condition, sail ever chance you get. Enjoy every minute of every day to the fullest, do a little fishing, girl watching, drink the best booze and don't worry about the red meat and fat consumption - they don't make a damned bit of difference anyway. You never know when all this will suddenly come to an abrupt end. I know this stuff first hand - I'm an old fart!

Gary
The Following User Says Thank You to travlin-easy For This Useful Post:
Guyfromthenorth (07-25-2017)
post #19 of 88 Old 07-25-2017

I'm glad this thread is up, there's been some good reading, reality checks, and some hope here too. I always joke with my friends that I'm glad I didn't discover sailing until I was in my 30's because had I found it in my 20's I would have bought an old wreck and would be bumming around the Carrib instead of working a career today. Not that there's anything wrong with that... lol

That being said, I'm 35 now and have already started worrying "how much time left" I have. Heck on my last trip my outboard went U\S and I had to sail back into the marina. While leaning over the backrail and lifting a 10hp 1984 Honda outboard with ONE HAND up into the cockpit from the transom I remember thinking "enjoy this now, you won't be able to do this in 10 years!".

My wife and I want to save up for a 38-40ft boat for retirement and sail the world (most likely Carrib life, and maybe a Trans-At with some time in the Med to be honest). But I've got some injuries that progress a bit each day. I've survived 2 major vehicle wrecks, 1 helicopter crash, and several broken bones and ligament tears through a scattering of other "oops's". My knees and shoulders are the worst of the bunch with soft tissue and bones torn\shattered in some of those instances. I do wonder how I will be mobility-wise in my 50's-60's. I think it's best I enjoy the time I have today, hope medical tech keeps moving forward, and try to preserve what's left to keep headed towards our dream. It's good to hear some of you are making it by "work smart not hard", it helps me keep the dream alive!
travlin-easy likes this.

Some youtube videos, nothing fancy

Last edited by Guyfromthenorth; 07-25-2017 at 06:48 PM.
post #20 of 88 Old 07-25-2017 Thread Starter

Most trailer yachts are less than 25 feet long. They are small and the mast is not too heavy for one man to handle. Many older yachties stop sailing because they can no longer handle the heavy mast. Those with money, can easily move on to a larger keeler, 28 to 50 foot. They can continue sailing until the money runs out.

The plus points are many: Drive to the marina, park the Mercedes, walk aboard, start engine and cast off all within 15 minutes. The mast and sometimes even the sails are permanently installed, using furlers! However the cost of yachting increases exponentially when the boat size goes over 25 feet. For many sailors, it is not possible to keep up financially.
Sal Paradise likes this.

Tags
back injury , bamboo flute , heavy mast , why sailors retire

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in