Guests on my boat - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 53 Old 08-02-2017

Re: Guests on my boat

I actively post on a local barter forum for sailing in exchange for stuff the boat needs. I have since entertained 8 complete strangers. It has all been a huge amount of fun, and I have made new friends. This Sunday I will be taking out 4 folks who I know nothing about, but they will bring dinner and drinks. Next week I am taking out someone's husband for a surprise birthday gift from his wife, (he has always dreamed of sailing), in exchange for beer probably. I absolutely love doing this. It is a blast. Sometimes I get an Airline Pilot, sometimes I get a tourist, sometimes I get a sailor, all have been memorable, polite, and fun.
SanderO, chef2sail, kjango and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 53 Old 08-02-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefingers View Post
I actively post on a local barter forum for sailing in exchange for stuff the boat needs. I have since entertained 8 complete strangers. It has all been a huge amount of fun, and I have made new friends. This Sunday I will be taking out 4 folks who I know nothing about, but they will bring dinner and drinks. Next week I am taking out someone's husband for a surprise birthday gift from his wife, (he has always dreamed of sailing), in exchange for beer probably. I absolutely love doing this. It is a blast. Sometimes I get an Airline Pilot, sometimes I get a tourist, sometimes I get a sailor, all have been memorable, polite, and fun.
Sounds like you run a sort mini cruise ship like operation...
post #33 of 53 Old 08-02-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
Sounds like you run a sort mini cruise ship like operation...
I suppose. I don't take any money. Part of the Bunz philosphy is that you can only trade. I ask for rags, cups, scrub brushes, beer, plates in trade for sailing.

https://www.bunz.com/view/5955a21879e21a0df5f6c190

post #34 of 53 Old 08-03-2017

Passing time with interesting "company" is preferable to being out on the water for hours with people who annoy you for any number of reasons. For example I wouldn't want smokers on my boat... or foul mouth racists... There are people who want to be helpful... thinking you need help... others who feel they are obliged to help because it's the right thing to do... than be waited on... others think you are taking them out so they can have fun... at their service.

Unless the sailing demands a lot of attention... you have a huge block of time to converse. And here is where "interesting" matters.... and manners matter. I can think of non sailor types who would be very interesting to have on board. But unknown "entities" is a bit too risky for me to be stuck with for many hours on the boat. And someone who may seem fine on land in a casual meeting might be a disaster on board. One needs to do some due diligence before extending and invite or you invite at your own peril... could work out... might not...

I'd prefer to sail with wifey or people who are predictably OK on board. I think of the boat as my home.... and how many unknown "guests" would I invite to spend the day at my home??????? Very few!
David Chin likes this.

Last edited by SanderO; 08-05-2017 at 12:08 PM.
post #35 of 53 Old 08-03-2017

I tend to use the boat to get away from people and very rarely will just go for a day sail. Much rather have a destination in my plans. Though when I was working and living on board in New York at a dock. An old fellow showed up and engaged in conversation. I invited him on board and listened to his tales being in the 10th Mountain division in WW2 and his life in New York Advertising (during the Mad Man years) This was before the HBO series. He'd show from time to time and I enjoyed his company. Though he would sometimes show up with others without notifying me. That was was kind of irritating but, I let it go since he was such fun to listen too. I have not been in New York at that dock in over ten years. He is probably gone now but, I still have fond memories of our talks.

Mike
Currently: Hunkering down for a bit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mbianka; 08-03-2017 at 07:39 AM.
post #36 of 53 Old 08-03-2017
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

Quote:
I suppose. I don't take any money. Part of the Bunz philosphy is that you can only trade. I ask for rags, cups, scrub brushes, beer, plates in trade for sailing.

https://www.bunz.com/view/5955a21879e21a0df5f6c190
This is very interesting.

When your website says that the boat and skipper are "certified" what does that mean? Certified in what manner?
You're Canadian I gather, so I have no idea what Canadian laws you have to comply with. To me, this doesn't qualify as chartering (by US laws).
You have either been very, very lucky in attracting good guests or you have a much higher threshold for lack of common sense and rudeness than I do.

Look, whenever I've had bad guests that (internally) get me white-hot angry, I've always done some introspection and asked myself if I'm being intolerant or if I have unrealistic expectations. Then, I'll tell some friends (some sailors, some non-sailors) the story and ask if they think I was being an ass or overreacting and almost always the answer is "No, your guest was an ass and you had every right to be angry."

The bottom line is, I'm a poor judge of character and way too optimistic about people so it repeatedly bites me in the ass. Now, I just don't take people out anymore. It's not fun and it ruins sailing for me.
SanderO likes this.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #37 of 53 Old 08-03-2017

Quote:
This sounds like a really interesting hobby. This web page might be helpful for you, it discusses the definition of passenger vs guest and pleasure use vs commercial use.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafet...eneral-502.htm
post #38 of 53 Old 08-03-2017

In our 6th season with the boat now. I have kept track of everyone who has sailed with us. Just had our 50th guest on board. Now the vast majority are sailor friends that also have crewed for us in WNR. A few family members and some of my wife's acquaintances from work. But 50 different people. And there hasn't been one that I wanted to chuck over the side. A few that weren't all that helpful, but the true Newbies did exactly as they were told and listened.
That said, there are a few people that I will NEVER take out on my boat. Sailed on OPB with them also on the boat; don't need the hassle.

CS 36M DIANTHUS
post #39 of 53 Old 08-04-2017

Guests are what we do and why we have the boat we have. Probably 15 weekends per year, minimum. Two weeks ago, we had 8 aboard, including us, overnight.

Family, friends, clients, colleagues. All of the above. Some know how to sail, most don't. All ask to come back and we can't fit everyone in every year. Family and kids come first.

Almost all have been excellent experiences, even though there has been the occasional mal de mer, or the cranky friend (just recovering from cancer surgery, totally forgivable).

The scenario that is beginning to get us down is the endless talkers. Getting some private, quiet time is important when you live together aboard. All but one of our guests, over the past 8 years, has stayed aboard. I am usually up first and will make a few pots of coffee to put in the big pump carafe and then sit down to read quietly (often here). Some will get up and join me and find a corner to read and watch the sunrise. Many will start yacking the moment their cabin door opens and not stop until they pass out that evening. Don't get me wrong, the time to party and get loud will come later for all of us. But, geez, take a breath.

We've been cruising alone for the past week and have not yet been to a slip or mooring. We're currently anchored alone in a huge cove. I've literally gone to shore three times in the past seven days. It's been glorious, but now it's time for some more excitement. We're heading off to get our fill of restaurants, some family and some tourism. By Monday, were sailing off alone again.
Sal Paradise and AJC506 like this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #40 of 53 Old 08-05-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
This sounds like a really interesting hobby. This web page might be helpful for you, it discusses the definition of passenger vs guest and pleasure use vs commercial use.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafet...eneral-502.htm
I wish there was clear definition of renumeration. It doesn't look like I'm contravening any laws. I do ask for something in trade, but in all honesty I'd do it for free.

Still though, it wouldn't hurt to speak with Coast Guard and get their opinion.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in