Guests on my boat - Page 5 - SailNet Community
 46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 53 Old 08-05-2017

Re: Guests on my boat

O boy..... here goes.... So I was a Bolshoi performance at Lincoln Center last week and after the performance I walked around the theater past the stage door. There was, of course a crowed of ballet fans waiting to meeting the artists. This is kind of interesting to me to see how cordial and gracious these artists are after an exhausting performance... They pose for selfies, sign autographs, accept flowers or gifts... and engage in conversations. I have actually met a few dancers this way on the way to my car over the years. But never for a Russian company.

I noticed the lead make dancer Semyon Chudin standing by himself. How unexpected. I walked over to him and told him how much I enjoyed this performance and the one the previous week and how wonderful his dancing was. He seemed shy and gracious... how very different from the "character" he had just portrayed. I stepped aside so that other fans could do their thing... and a middle aged woman asked me how I liked the performance... She was standing with a young man who turned out to be her son. They were Russian. We started to talk... I was curious to learn something about them. Turns out she is a arts producer and lives fairly close to me, attends ballet a lot and we have a mutual ballet lover "friend" from facebook and her son is studying ballet in Russia. How cool was that! I began thinking how interesting it could be to spend the afternoon sailing with them on Shiva. This thread was on my mind... Should I invite them? I told them my "passion" in addition to ballet was sailing and asked them if they had been. Not unexpectedly they said they hadn't but were interested. I said that I could arrange that and she gave me her business card.

A few days later an email arrived. They wanted to go out sailing! YIKES. I wrote back telling her I wanted them to come with perfect or near perfect conditions so they could enjoy sailing.... no overcast skies, high winds or just motoring. She understood. I told her I would watch the weather and send her some potential days. Looks like next Thursday or Friday! I'll send an invite.

Not I am thinking... I will drive them and maybe let them "sight see" as I take the dink out to the boat and then bring it along side the town dock... much easier for the mother to board than doing a dinghy thing. Son could do the dink boarding no problem. Maybe I give them $40 and tell them to pick up a take away lunch while I get the boat? Or should I bring someone to sort of "help out"? They speak English. But will have to drive them home of course... The drive is about 1.5 hrs and I rarely go for the day. YIKES what did I get myself into???

I am sure conversation with both of them will be interesting. This will be a "lot of work" for me...

Of course if the guest were a ballerina the wife would nix it... me alone on the boat with a dancer while she works! hahahaha.

This might happen... I'll report back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 53 Old 08-05-2017

Wow, how exciting. It should be a great adventure and you are being a wonderful ambassador for America to some foreign guests. Asking them to pick up some food while you bring the boat to the dock sounds okay. It also doesn't take much to throw some snacks aboard like a tub of hummus, veggies, chips, crackers and cheese, and a bottle of wine.

You will make some new friends and may make friends with someone you may someday be able to visit in Russia. I'd consider the drive well worth it for such an interesting experience.
post #43 of 53 Old 08-05-2017

This thread is a good read. I also have hosted dozens, maybe over 100 people in the seven years I've had this boat. I wish I had documented all of them! Sometimes I'll run into someone I haven't seen in a few years and they'll remind me that they've sailed with me! To a person, everyone who came aboard was respectful and is welcome aboard again. Every situation and personality is different, so my 30' tub with six people hanging out or even racing may only draw the types of folks I like. I don't know how the other posters here have been so unlucky in that regard.
I will relate one experience, though: I was racing in the Wednesday beer cans and one of the crew had never even sailed- he's a friend and colleague. As we approached the weather mark, I noticed a trail of vomit coming from the windward rail. My buddy was puking all over the place (except in the water)! So I ordered one of the grinders to grab a bucket from the laz, drag it and splash the deck to get rid of the puke. He did, my buddy kept puking, but overboard, and we continued on. Won the race, even. The guy who got the bucket was new on my boat, too. No one even mentioned it later. The friend who puked? We have a good laugh and he's coming by for a sail tonight.
I'm going to start taking photos of everyone I take out from now on. That will make a nice slide show.

1968 Cal 2-30
Sandpiper 2
MDR

post #44 of 53 Old 08-05-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefingers View Post
Still though, it wouldn't hurt to speak with Coast Guard and get their opinion.
I don't think the Coast Guard will be able to help you out. They don't have much authority in situations like this.

The folks who might be able to give you some guidance might be Marine Safety Inspectors, which would be Transport Canada folks.

Last edited by Arcb; 08-05-2017 at 06:49 PM.
post #45 of 53 Old 08-05-2017
bell ringer

You know just because people leave with you on the boat it doesn't necessary mean they are still on the boat when you get back.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #46 of 53 Old 08-06-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
You know just because people leave with you on the boat it doesn't necessary mean they are still on the boat when you get back.
Oh, I'd feel kinda bad if I didn't get everybody back to the dock. There are some people I might feel like leaving stranded on a boy,... but not drowning.
post #47 of 53 Old 08-08-2017
Kynntana (Freedom 38)

For what it's worth to this thread, I have a "log book" on my boat where people post about their sails in their own words. I might suggest some things such as where exactly we went or the specific wind/water conditions, but usually I just tell them to write anything that comes to mind about the experience. I love doing this and then reading their entries afterwards, sometimes going back to re-read them the following year or two.

And I kick myself every time I forget to do this and have to write the entry myself
post #48 of 53 Old 08-08-2017

Our guest log is a list of nautical phrases that are used in every day language. A guest must think of one and all the others aboard, at that moment, must decide if it is really used in every day language. "Three sheets to the wind" was the very first entry. Sometimes the crew at the time is picky, others more flexible. You have to make your case. If your phrase is accepted, you enter it in the log, with your name beside it. As the list grows, it's getting harder to play along. However, I know of several that still aren't listed and I challenge the crew. I don't make my own entries.
Sal Paradise likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #49 of 53 Old 08-10-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
I found that overall people like the idea of coming sailing, but most never have the time to do it. Isn't that a sad and weird thing?
That's true. People don't have time to enjoy anything. They are really busy. I hate the busy world.
post #50 of 53 Old 08-10-2017

Follow up... Guest never responded to the email with the plans I sent them... Oh well. Their loss.

I had a nice young lady to come along and help out, prepare lunch and so on... gorgeous day... I will get my teeth cleaned instead. YUCK
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Last edited by SanderO; 08-10-2017 at 07:57 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in