electric drive - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 27 Old 08-04-2017

Re: electric drive

Remember it's a "sailboat". Sails are your primary means of propulsion. The "auxiliary" motor is just that, auxiliary.
Range, most ep boats with a 200 amp hour fla battery run down to 50% DOD can go roughly 16 miles. Many operate small suitcase generators like a Honda 2000 to drive a 15- 25 amp battery charger. Solar works for recharging the battery bank but you need to have time on your hands for it to be successful.

There are many out there that have converted, many are out there cruising so if this is something you want to do, don't let the nay sayer put fear into your decision. Is it cheaper than a fossil fuel repower when you toss everything into the equation, nope. That didn't stop me from doing it....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 Old 08-04-2017

You can increase the range if you have a generator on board that can be used in an emergency. Another advantage of electric drive is fewer holes in your hull.
Rhapsody-NS27, mbianka and hughman like this.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #13 of 27 Old 08-04-2017 Thread Starter

I spoke to a vendor at the Portland Boatbuilders show a few years back that wanted to install a photo-voltaic riding sail on his electric powered lobster boat. There's been some advances in materials that make such sails possible

post #14 of 27 Old 08-04-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfits View Post
Remember it's a "sailboat". Sails are your primary means of propulsion. The "auxiliary" motor is just that, auxiliary.
Range, most ep boats with a 200 amp hour fla battery run down to 50% DOD can go roughly 16 miles. Many operate small suitcase generators like a Honda 2000 to drive a 15- 25 amp battery charger. Solar works for recharging the battery bank but you need to have time on your hands for it to be successful.

There are many out there that have converted, many are out there cruising so if this is something you want to do, don't let the nay sayer put fear into your decision. Is it cheaper than a fossil fuel repower when you toss everything into the equation, nope. That didn't stop me from doing it....
Tell me more about your experience- vessel, motor, pros and cons?
post #15 of 27 Old 08-04-2017

I converted my 30 foot Nonsuch to Electric Propulsion in 2008 and never looked back. Big leap of faith to do it back then I'll tell you. But, so glad I did. Pulled out the Iron Pig 27 HP Westerbeke and replaced it with a 9KW motor. So many advantages and you get use to the smell of clean very easily when you no longer carry diesel, antifreeze etc... You can also do things when you have electric propulsion that you would not do with a diesel. Yes range under electric alone is limited to about 20 miles in my case. But, I do have a SAILBOAT not a motorboat with sails. As others have said a Honda 2000 turns the boat into a hybrid and I can motor until the fuel runs out. Only had to do that one day in eight years and it was a lot quieter and much more pleasant than when I had my diesel. Part One video of that trip is here:
https://youtu.be/kHKmo0hmnrw

Mike
Currently: Spring Outfitting

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 27 Old 08-04-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
nice video!
mbianka likes this.
post #17 of 27 Old 08-05-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfits View Post
I'm not sure that's 100% accurate for everyone.

I've seen a number of sailboats motoring around despite the fact that there was ample wind to sail. Not sure what the reasoning was on their part, but they certainly see the motor as something more than "auxiliary".

There's also the reality of life. If you're in my current state, you only have weekends to sail. If the wind doesn't cooperate, I have two choices: sit at the dock or motor to where I want to go. Personally, I plan on changing that situation within the next two years, but talking to others at the marina makes me think that a lot of folks will always use their boats in that manner.

That's why I think it's a tough choice to make. You really need to understand your usage patterns and the limitations so that you can figure out if it will work. As messy and noisy as a diesel engine is, it has the advantage of super long range and quick recharge. Hopefully technology will continue to improve and make electric more competitive in those areas, but it's not there yet.

From my perspective, I really hope I can make it work. The diesel engine is really the only thing I don't like about this boat.
post #18 of 27 Old 08-06-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillMoran View Post
I'm not sure that's 100% accurate for everyone.

I've seen a number of sailboats motoring around despite the fact that there was ample wind to sail. Not sure what the reasoning was on their part, but they certainly see the motor as something more than "auxiliary".

There's also the reality of life. If you're in my current state, you only have weekends to sail. If the wind doesn't cooperate, I have two choices: sit at the dock or motor to where I want to go. .
Hey Bill,

I agree. Sometimes it's easier to hit the switch then unfurl sails even if winds are favorable. Most only have weekends to get away & hanging out on the dock after awhile gets old not to mention pretty hot.. Many flock to their boats to get away from work & sometimes sailing is work.
It's all about choices. Whether you get to your destination by sailing, motoring, rowing, long as you get there it's all good!

Bob

I'm not happy unless I'm complaining about something.
I'm having a very good day!
post #19 of 27 Old 08-06-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughman View Post
I spoke to a vendor at the Portland Boatbuilders show a few years back that wanted to install a photo-voltaic riding sail on his electric powered lobster boat. There's been some advances in materials that make such sails possible
I've been to that a showi a couple times if it's the Portland on the east coast. Feel free to shoot me an email.

Bob

Last edited by misfits; 08-06-2017 at 07:58 AM.
post #20 of 27 Old 08-06-2017
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Bill-
We used to moor in the head of a bay and typically would start the engine and motor back in while flaking the main, cleaning up the boat, taking our time because you do need about twenty minutes to really heat up the engine oil (to burn off condensate, etc.) and in the days before solar panels, that also ensured topped-up batteries to keep the bilge pump happy. Could have sailed...but the alternator needed run time, and motoring just made for less need to dodge anyone.
All sorts of mundane reasons like that why folks are using the engine at times, instead of the sails. Sometimes they're just shorthanded, i.e. one spouse at the helm, one down below changing diapers or making lunch...easier to single-hand the engine for many.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in