Boat buying, does anyone thing this is important? - Page 5 - SailNet Community
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 62 Old 08-06-2017
Captain Obvious

Re: Boat buying, does anyone thing this is important?

Woman at the helm with a perfect butt.....priceless.
SHNOOL likes this.

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 62 Old 08-06-2017

Quote:
Girlfriend or second wife, Captain Obvious.

"Just call me TB"
post #43 of 62 Old 08-06-2017

One highly-misleading factor in rigging selection and choice of boat is "racing"...
Whether you enter a race has nothing, nada, zero, zip - to do with how efficient your boat is for SAILING.
When under sail, it's normal to adjust the shaping of the sails to make the boat sail faster, and with less heel.

With fewer sail shape controls, you get less adjustment possibility. This is not something new. Way back in the 70's, some builders were putting one (1) swivel block on each side deck for the jib lead. i.e. no track and no car -- cheaper to build and more profitable. Some customers were happy with the compromise and many others added hardware, or, bought a different brand of boat. (!)

As others have pointed out, if your goal is to get out on the water and be 'under sail' you might find that the simple boat with the most compromises is perfect for your needs.

Just do not conflate "racing" with sailing any boat to its full potential. After all, you would not remove one spark plug wire from your 6 cylinder car because you were only driving to the mall and not "racing" it.

Related subject: also beware of brokers and sell-styled experts that use the C word, cruising, to steer you toward or away from a particular boat.

Happing shopping!

1988 Olson 34, by Ericson Yachts.
Sail # 28400
Betamarine 25 (new 2018)
RCYC, Portland, Oregon

post #44 of 62 Old 08-06-2017
Land lubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
awful design... too much wind... spray looks like a bus or train seating... not very "social" not a design I would ever consider...
I completely understand your point of view!

I have a few friends who drive Chevy malibus and Ford focuses who would never even consider owning an Aston Martin.

I would never try to change their point of view.
post #45 of 62 Old 08-07-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianjoub View Post
I completely understand your point of view!

I have a few friends who drive Chevy malibus and Ford focuses who would never even consider owning an Aston Martin.

I would never try to change their point of view.
I don't try to change anyone's point of view... I simply express my opinions based on MY experience sailing over 40,000 miles... mostly on MY boat with a few deliveries on other boats... and how I sail... and of course my experience and training as an architect.

I listen, I read, I research, and I decide for me.

YOU decide for you.
post #46 of 62 Old 08-07-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
The Skipper's first wife cost him more then the boat...or the butt bling.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
post #47 of 62 Old 08-07-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianjoub View Post

Interesting seeing an 80000 lb boat with a 10' draft compared to an Aston Martin.

It's a nice boat but a comparison to a Newmar King Aire 45' motorhome might be more appropriate.

To compare it to a sports car, I would want something that could corner hard and accelerate like a beast out of the corners.

Even comparing it to an SUV might be a stretch. 2 helm stations, but neither one inside limits it's appropriateness for high latitude sailing. Any 4 wheeler knows if you want to head into the back country, you need a vehicle with a short turning radius, high ground clearance and systems that can be easily repaired in the field.

Calling a 67 foot Oyster better than other boats, entirely over looks planned usage. In the same way calling a King Aire better for daily commuting in New York traffic better than a Corolla would be.
SanderO likes this.
post #48 of 62 Old 08-07-2017

This "better than" is kind of a dumb approach to this.

First I doubt any owner of any 67' boat will "sail and maintain" it himself... He will undoubtedly need and pay crew and mechanics to do almost everything for him. But heck.... there are the 1% who have money to burn and builders who will produce these things. BTW there are virtually no slips for these monsters and not many harbors have the ability to set a mooring for one and even if they did, it would occupy so much swing space it would mean probably 8 other boats could not be moored.

OK keep your 67' yacht in Newport Ship yard... they can help you with lifting the sails... off the dock.

Really... this stuff belongs on a megayacht forum... but in actual fact these are made for chartering.. not the guy or family who like to sail on the weekend
post #49 of 62 Old 08-07-2017
Land lubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
This "better than" is kind of a dumb approach to this.

First I doubt any owner of any 67' boat will "sail and maintain" it himself... He will undoubtedly need and pay crew and mechanics to do almost everything for him. But heck.... there are the 1% who have money to burn and builders who will produce these things. BTW there are virtually no slips for these monsters and not many harbors have the ability to set a mooring for one and even if they did, it would occupy so much swing space it would mean probably 8 other boats could not be moored.

OK keep your 67' yacht in Newport Ship yard... they can help you with lifting the sails... off the dock.

Really... this stuff belongs on a megayacht forum... but in actual fact these are made for chartering.. not the guy or family who like to sail on the weekend
We plan to sail ourselves, no crew. I will maintain what I need to, but hire out the rest. I have been a mechanic my whole life. I will choose to do far less of that in my retirement.

Anchoring space may not be the issue you think. It can't get in to those shallow anchorages where everyone else wants to be anyway, unless we end up with one of their super shoal versions which is less than 6' draft with the centerboard up.

Our last sail boat was a Mac 25. Our next will be an Oyster 625 or 675. Should I no longer come to this forum because of the type/size of the next sail boat I plan to get?
post #50 of 62 Old 08-07-2017

We have 2 boats, both were well used by the previous owners. On both we have done some fairly series modification to make the boat meet OUR needs and sailing life. As we bought them they met the POs sailing style and needs.

SAFARA, for example, has crossed the Atlantic 3 times with the PO. But he must have had a healthy deck ape crew. No AP and the winches were impossible to reach from the helm and were tiny for that size boat. I sail alone or with just the Wife. There are times when we need to make long motor passages. So we NEED an AP and to be able to each winches.

So that is where the discussion should start, how are you going to use the boat? Then get a boat that has most of what you need and the capability to accept further modifications as your sailing style matures.

I hate the idea of changing boats every few years. I need to learn to love the one I'm with.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in