Boat buying, does anyone thing this is important? - Page 6 - SailNet Community
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 62 Old 08-07-2017

Re: Boat buying, does anyone thing this is important?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianjoub View Post
We plan to sail ourselves, no crew. I will maintain what I need to, but hire out the rest. I have been a mechanic my whole life. I will choose to do far less of that in my retirement.

Anchoring space may not be the issue you think. It can't get in to those shallow anchorages where everyone else wants to be anyway, unless we end up with one of their super shoal versions which is less than 6' draft with the centerboard up.

Our last sail boat was a Mac 25. Our next will be an Oyster 625 or 675. Should I no longer come to this forum because of the type/size of the next sail boat I plan to get?
Good luck with this. You may have been a mechanic all your life... and have a leg up... operating a 65' yacht is very different from a MacGregor 25. It's hard to take this seriously. It's like someone on a tricycle going to a Lamborgini...

I can't relate to this and have no advice...

There are maybe 1500 boats in Northport, power and sail... I think the largest is maybe 55'. Bring the boat.... you'll make a big hit! Much (not all) of the harbor including the channel is 10-12 feet or less at low.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 62 Old 08-07-2017
Land lubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
Good luck with this. You may have been a mechanic all your life... and have a leg up... operating a 65' yacht is very different from a MacGregor 25. It's hard to take this seriously. It's like someone on a tricycle going to a Lamborgini...

I can't relate to this and have no advice...

There are maybe 1500 boats in Northport, power and sail... I think the largest is maybe 55'. Bring the boat.... you'll make a big hit! Much (not all) of the harbor including the channel is 10-12 feet or less at low.
We are not exactly going from a Mac 25 to a 65' yacht. We bare boat charter a couple of times per year. The last was just the 2 of us on a 53' Jenneau for 10 days, St. Pete, FL to Dry Tortugas, Key West, and back. I don't find any difference in the mechanics of sailing a smaller boat vs. a larger one. The bare boat charter before that was a Catalina 445. That seemed the same as well, sailing wise.
SanderO likes this.
post #53 of 62 Old 08-07-2017

Go for it...

post #54 of 62 Old 08-07-2017

Quote:
. I don't find any difference in the mechanics of sailing a smaller boat vs. a larger one. The bare boat charter before that was a Catalina 445. That seemed the same as well, sailing wise.
Going back to your vehicle analagy. Sure, you and your wife can probably handle it. The boat is mechanised and automated in such a way to allow it to be operated short handed.

Just like a 45' motorhome can be driven down the I-90 by a retired couple in great comfort. But what you don't want to do with that motor home is take it on a back road and get it stuck in a mud hole, or have a flat tire in a place where AAA offers no service, or slide it off the road in a snow storm or park it in little Italy in Boston on a Saturday night.

Buy what ever toy you like, but do it with eyes wide open recognising the conveyances limitations.
post #55 of 62 Old 08-07-2017

Quote:
Our last sail boat was a Mac 25. Our next will be an Oyster 625 or 675. Should I no longer come to this forum because of the type/size of the next sail boat I plan to get?
No Ian, please stay! I don't know about the rest of these guys, but I love living vicariously through your sailboat shopping adventure! By all means, keep us informed on the Oyster hunt. I might -- might -- upgrade my Oday 23 to something 27-30 feet this year or next; but it will still be a good old boat.
post #56 of 62 Old 08-07-2017
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

I probably had a tricycle, I'm sure I've seen pictures of me riding one when I was three or four. But I never "worked" on that.

On the other hand, the old skate key that I saved from my roller skates turned out to be METRIC and it fits so many things on my Lamborghini! I'd be lost without that skate key.

Oh, you wanna-be cynics. You'll need many more years of practice before you can attain that status.
post #57 of 62 Old 08-07-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
Woman at the helm with a perfect butt.....priceless.
Either that or very expensive.... reminds me of some stories. I guess most of have at least one.
post #58 of 62 Old 08-07-2017
Land lubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
Going back to your vehicle analagy. Sure, you and your wife can probably handle it. The boat is mechanised and automated in such a way to allow it to be operated short handed.

Just like a 45' motorhome can be driven down the I-90 by a retired couple in great comfort. But what you don't want to do with that motor home is take it on a back road and get it stuck in a mud hole, or have a flat tire in a place where AAA offers no service, or slide it off the road in a snow storm or park it in little Italy in Boston on a Saturday night.

Buy what ever toy you like, but do it with eyes wide open recognising the conveyances limitations.
Hey, I grew up just south of Boston and my family name is Scavongelli, what are you trying to say???

:lol:

The best boat for world cruising will likely have some limitations when it comes to gunkholing. We always look for the best compromise for what we intend to do the largest portion of the time.

We want a big cockpit because we will spend most of our time there. We want interior space because it will be our apartment for a few years. We want a separate room for the 'wine cellar'. We want space for the golf clubs, dive compressor and gear, ice maker, etc...

Back to the OP's original question: Yes, I think most people consider the things you are asking. I do not know why there is not more discussion about it.

We know what we (think) we want. There are needs, wants, and nice to haves. We have made lists and prioritized. We will consider what is out there at what price and make an informed decision when it is time to pull the trigger (01/01/2020).
Arcb likes this.
post #59 of 62 Old 08-07-2017
Land lubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstern View Post
No Ian, please stay! I don't know about the rest of these guys, but I love living vicariously through your sailboat shopping adventure! By all means, keep us informed on the Oyster hunt. I might -- might -- upgrade my Oday 23 to something 27-30 feet this year or next; but it will still be a good old boat.
Yes, mine was a rhetorical comment...

I just hope I can live to live my dream. My luck has me stroking out the day I retire
post #60 of 62 Old 08-07-2017

I think the reason that the subject doesn't get a lot of discussion here is because adding more sail controls is one of the things you can "fix" on just about any boat. If it's really important to someone to have all the bells and whistles, they can just add most if not all of them.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in