Surface Pro vs iPad - Power Consumption - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 08-19-2017 Thread Starter

Surface Pro vs iPad - Power Consumption

Currently I have a number of older computers and tablets on board. I would like to consolidate a few devices. One thing I have thought about was potentially trading out my iPad for a Surface Pro but the big concern I have is power consumption. Unfortunately while there seems to be lots of comparisons around computing power not so much about power consumption.

Does anyone have any information about how much power they are consuming with either device, and how much it takes to recharge them completely? I rely a lot on solar so consumption is important.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-19-2017

Re: Surface Pro vs iPad - Power Consumption

We have a Pro 3 I7 and a Pro 4 I5 which live on board

The Surface Pro 4 has better battery life than the Pro 3, also, unless you really need the most powerful processor, avoid it as it uses more power and creates more heat.

The good news about charging is that they pull less than 3 amps at 12 volts to charge (35 Watts), I use a small 150 Watt Bestek invertor to power ours, it seems to be better than cigarette lighter socket units

It takes maybe 3 - 4 hours to charge up from 25%

Worth considering the blue tooth keyboard option as we have had problems with the Cover attachment connections on both machines
post #3 of 6 Old 08-19-2017

There are lots of great Windows tablets out there that consume less power then the Surface Pro. Why not consider them too?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumphant View Post
...The good news about charging is that they pull less than 3 amps at 12 volts to charge (35 Watts), I use a small 150 Watt Bestek invertor to power ours, it seems to be better than cigarette lighter socket units...
Define "units". Do you mean cheap plug-in mini-inverters? Or 12v computer adapters?

The only Bestek inverters I have seen are cheap modified sine wave devices. Why would you want to use 12v to generate dirty AC, then just convert it back to dirty DC with inefficient generation of waste heat? It would be far better to take clean DC right off your house battery, fed directly into the computer via a decent car adapter. I can't believe a decent 12v charger wouldn't do a better job.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

post #4 of 6 Old 08-19-2017 Thread Starter

To be honest I haven't looked into many windows tablets, originally I was looking at replacing my current iPad, which I use primarily as a backup chart plotter, and source to hold my music, with a new iPad, however I also would like to replace the computer I use for playing movies, and since the iPad isn't great for accessing hard drives, it's makes it more challenging to eliminate devices though I could certainly keep my NUC and just upgrade to a new iPad, which I know sips power compared to all PCs I have owned in the past.

That said computers/tablets have improved a lot in the last few years in power use so not sure how things are windows wise compared to a few years back. Also while a keyboard is nice, the tablet configuration is more important.

Additionally I would probably try to go direct dc to dc skipping an inverter. Overall charging time isn't super important, as I am more interested in power consumption when the device is on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #5 of 6 Old 08-21-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post

There are lots of great Windows tablets out there that consume less power then the Surface Pro. Why not consider them too?
Can you suggest some, I am always looking?

Quote:

Define "units". Do you mean cheap plug-in mini-inverters? Or 12v computer adapters?
Difference in the use of English I said cigarette lighter socket units... You call them Car adapters

Quote:

The only Bestek inverters I have seen are cheap modified sine wave devices. Why would you want to use 12v to generate dirty AC, then just convert it back to dirty DC with inefficient generation of waste heat? It would be far better to take clean DC right off your house battery, fed directly into the computer via a decent car adapter. I can't believe a decent 12v charger wouldn't do a better job.

When I bought the Pro 3 in 2015 there was only 1 supplier offering a 12v charger with a car adapter which cost over 100US$ because the Pro 3 & 4ís have a very strange magnetic power plug going into the computer

I bought one of these chargers, the first 2 melted. The final one, which was a circuit board connected to the 12V supply had to output 12.1 volts to work BUT has a voltage drop of 0.6volts when connected to a power source so you need your batteries to be a minimum of 12.7 volts before the charger would work (and yes I tried more than 1 power source)

As I am not based anywhere where I can buy stuff off the internet and get it delivered easily, I used my inverters which has worked surprisingly pulling under 3 amps

Better car adapter changers may now be available but life is too short and I have not bothered to look for one
post #6 of 6 Old 08-21-2017

Seems like you've listed several reasons why you would be better served by a non-Microsoft Windows tablet. It should not be rocket science to charge a tablet off of 5 or 12 VDC. Proprietary connectors should be avoided.

I bought my Windows tablet >2 years ago and it's since been discontinued, so I don't have any suggestions.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in