The author got flamed a couple of months ago, but it is relevant -

The USS Fitzgerald Is At Fault. This Is Why. ? gCaptain

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 110 Old 08-21-2017

Re: Another Navy ship collision. 10 "missing"

As the gCaptain article says, both ships will be found to blame. It's curious that the destroyer was hit on the port aft side. Without further knowledge of maneuvering, this suggests the destroyer was stand-on, as they approached each other. Still, you have to get that last few hundred feet out of the way, if the giveway isn't giving way.

In the end, I don't believe in coincidences. Something is up.
Quillpig likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #13 of 110 Old 08-21-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Rich, have you sailed Singapore Straits and Malacca Straits? (or the English Channel that I did for the first time a few weeks ago).

They are too busy for old fashioned hairy eyeballs. These navy ships have disruptive radar signatures built into their topsides design, let alone their electronic disrupters. Plus not tx'ing the AIS position... And the other shipping is flat out reading the host of other clear signatures how the hell can they divert?

When I crossed the English channel a few weeks ago, at night, I had to select one break in the traffic and hammer it to do the 5 miles at right angles. At the end of that hour I could see I would have 5 (Five) ships abreast bearing down on me. But they could "SEE" me... And divert if I screwed up.

No one can see Navy ships if they refuse to transmit AIS is busy areas. (or a virtual radar signal)

When a navy ship is on patrol up North Korea way its fine to be full tactical... But the busy shipping lanes off Japan and Singapore has shown twice the folly of this insanity.

No man can do these areas just by being old fashioned. They must use electronics nowadays
I understand completely what you're stating. Ive had similar episodes of
'dark' ships in the quite busy Florida Straights.
On one recent night crossing the Gulf Stream, I had to heave-to and wait for well over an hour and a half before I had a safe enough 'hole' to pass through the constant line of ships - in 2 directions. Interestingly, I put out several securité calls to let everyone know exactly where I was .... not one acknowledgement. Two of the ships had no AIS and minimal marker/nav lights. When hove-to I finally turned on every damn light on the boat so maybe someone would see me and not feel me.

And this isn't restricted to just surface ships as Ive had second person testimony of a boat having its bottom ripped out one night (1988-89) .... and it probably wasn't a sunken shipping container as the person supposedly claimed that a noticeable 'lifting' wave immediately proceeded the 'hit'. Boat sank in less than 1-2 minutes well off the area east of Jacksonville/Fernandina Florida - the location of 2 nuclear submarine installations.

post #14 of 110 Old 08-21-2017

Is there a bit of a knee-jerk reaction to slam-dunk the Navy here? All the electronics in the world won't help you if (for example) someone turns to port in front of you.

https://twitter.com/overseasweekly

This is very preliminary, but looks like outbound (McCain) and inbound (Alnic), reciprocal courses. More than that I don't know, but let's say it went wrong and McCain went hard starboard but still got drilled. They may have done everything right, who knows? We don't. Not yet, anyway.

Just sayin'. Ease up on joking about "naval intelligence" 'til we know more.

And prayers for the missing and families.

Last edited by nolatom; 08-21-2017 at 11:06 AM.
post #15 of 110 Old 08-21-2017

Just saw another animation, and heard McCain was heading for Singapore, not away. So it may not have been a meeting situation. Might have been a crossing (from north to south?), or a merge, that did not go well:

We still lack course and speed data for McCain. So let's hold our fire if we can, til we know?
post #16 of 110 Old 08-21-2017

If you look at the tracks in nolatom's post carefully and at max. screen zoom, it appears possibly that the ALNIC lost rudder control and then 'hooked' itself bow-to-port and into the McCain --- if in fact the McCain is represented by the purple line.

The McCain (in other media pics) appears to be well damaged below the waterline suggesting that the ALNICs 'bulb' (bow) hit the McCain.
zeehag likes this.
post #17 of 110 Old 08-21-2017
Tartan 27' owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
I can't reply or post photos to this thread... Weird...
Well that is obviously because you did not start this thread MarkofSeaLife, Sailingdog did as his post from 2005 or so supersedes your post by years.

"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 110 Old 08-21-2017

As an ex-navy person, I think that this is nonsense.
Forget being in stealth mode, so others can't electronically see you. The freighter was obviously not at fault. It's like a huge turtle running over a dysfunctional and totally disabled rabbit.
What about one's command responsibility to see others? Could all of the watch detail (I bet at least 4) been asleep?
What about one's responsibility not to cross the path of others?
Unless the navy has changed more than is imaginable (by me), there had to be people on watch who saw this coming, and alerted the bridge, especially if disabling ones own radars is part of being stealthy. Didn't sonar hear it bearing down/getting closer?
As a conspiracy realist who knew with certainty that the Gulf of Tonkin incident was a false flag operation way back in 1966, I smell a skunk.
Given two deadly incidents in two months, both involving 'modern-day' digital destroyers, I'm guessing a 'hack' occurred, not unlike when our Navy vessels could not respond during 'enemy' fly-overs in the Black Sea and Baltic, even if they wanted to. And if any crew member mentions what actually happened, they'll likely know the Philly brig intimately, and/or lose all bennies forever.
There's a cover-up going on, be there no doubt.
I knew it back in 1966, and left the navy asap.
These dead sailors never had a chance, and unless this is made public, more will follow.
My condolences to all who care.
JoCoSailor likes this.
post #19 of 110 Old 08-21-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
Well that is obviously because you did not start this thread MarkofSeaLife, Sailingdog did as his post from 2005 or so supersedes your post by years.

Did Sailingdog predict this accident years in advance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #20 of 110 Old 08-21-2017
Captain Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
I am seeing the same weird error at the top of every thread! Salingdog.

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in