SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Another Navy ship collision. 10 "missing" (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/294897-another-navy-ship-collision-10-missing.html)

MarkofSeaLife 08-20-2017 11:09 PM

Another Navy ship collision. 10 "missing"

I hate the stupid euphemism for dead. 10 dead as another US navy ship sails congested waters without its AIS alerting other ships to its presence.

smackdaddy 08-20-2017 11:12 PM

Re: Another Navy ship collision. 10 "missing"

This is getting very weird. What's up with these guys?

MarkofSeaLife 08-20-2017 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smackdaddy (Post 2051170697)
This is getting very weird. What's up with these guys?

Dunno.

It's crazy.

But.... And it's far too early to comment on the latest collision but...
All ships nowadays Expect to see other ships on RADAR and AIS. However some navy ships are designed to give disrupted radar signature and no sending AIS. So the other ship can't avoid a collision if it can't see it on screen.
Colregs say it's everyone's responsabilitÚ because, the very nature of ships is that it's difficult for one ship to always to be perfect.

I hope there's survivors and someone changes the rules.

The enemy knows where the ship is anyway.

Sailboatguy 08-20-2017 11:45 PM

It doesn't make any sense

RichH 08-21-2017 01:42 AM

Deck watch using human eyeballs is apparently now passÚ.

Stamford, Connecticut is now supposedly issuing fines to folks who walk on the city sidewalks while looking at their smartphones.

troy2000 08-21-2017 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife (Post 2051170673)
I hate the stupid euphemism for dead. 10 dead as another US navy ship sails congested waters without its AIS alerting other ships to its presence.

It isn't stupid, and it isn't a euphemism. It's simply honest reporting. As soon as the Navy finds bodies, they'll confirm the number of fatalities - just like they did last time. Meanwhile, the most a reporter could possibly say without making assumptions is, 'missing and presumed dead'...

But that's twice lately a destroyer has collided with something slower and less maneuverable. With the electronic equipment and number of eyes they have on board there's no excuse for it, whether the other ships knew they were there or not. It's starting to look like there's something drastically wrong with procedures, training or discipline...

add:
Quote:

This is thought to be the fourth time in a year that a US navy vessel has been involved in an accident.

Just two months ago, seven US sailors were killed when the USS Fitzgerald collided with a container ship in Japanese waters near the port city of Yokosuka.

In May, a guided missile cruiser collided with a South Korean fishing vessel, while in August last year a submarine collided with an offshore support vessel.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-40995829

MarkofSeaLife 08-21-2017 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichH (Post 2051170849)
Deck watch using human eyeballs is apparently now passÚ.

Rich, have you sailed Singapore Straits and Malacca Straits? (or the English Channel that I did for the first time a few weeks ago).

They are too busy for old fashioned hairy eyeballs. These navy ships have disruptive radar signatures built into their topsides design, let alone their electronic disrupters. Plus not tx'ing the AIS position... And the other shipping is flat out reading the host of other clear signatures how the hell can they divert?

When I crossed the English channel a few weeks ago, at night, I had to select one break in the traffic and hammer it to do the 5 miles at right angles. At the end of that hour I could see I would have 5 (Five) ships abreast bearing down on me. But they could "SEE" me... And divert if I screwed up.

No one can see Navy ships if they refuse to transmit AIS is busy areas. (or a virtual radar signal)

When a navy ship is on patrol up North Korea way its fine to be full tactical... But the busy shipping lanes off Japan and Singapore has shown twice the folly of this insanity.

No man can do these areas just by being old fashioned. They must use electronics nowadays

MarkofSeaLife 08-21-2017 04:39 AM

I can't reply or post photos to this thread... Weird... Anyway, there's a photo of it just docking st Changi looking very very heavy. There's file photos of it on Google stationary which you can compare. It's quite low in the water.

Based in Japan too. Bloody hell. Just when you need a full deck of cards against North Korea.

aeventyr60 08-21-2017 04:45 AM

So much for military intelligence..

SanderO 08-21-2017 04:55 AM

Obviously stealth is perhaps coming back to haunt the navy. They don't want to be seen, so they need to figure out how to stay clear of commercial traffic while in no-see-me-mode. This seems to make the invisible guy the one at fault.

So what's the deal of being so stealthy when we are not at war?

This is killing sailors and costing the taxpayers billions for flawed technological approaches and then there's the repair cost taxpayers eat.

These collisions involving USA navy are very troubling. The causes need to be identified and fixed and those responsible sanctioned.