Is there any good sailing in Knoxville, TN? - SailNet Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Skipper Jer
  • 2 Post By Corrotoman

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 08-25-2017 Thread Starter

Is there any good sailing in Knoxville, TN?

So, the other day I received a job offer doing pretty much the same thing I do now for 1/2 again as much pay, only doing it in Knoxville, TN. While looking at the area via maps and Google Earth, it seems like all the "lakes" around there are actually just swollen rivers. Can anyone with hands-on, boots on the ground, experience tell me if the surrounding area has quality sailing before I waste my time and theirs going down for an interview? This could actually be a deal breaker since we have so many good lakes in our home stomping grounds to explore.
We appreciate the input.

“If you surrender to the wind, you can ride it.” – Toni Morrison

"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow Chameleon's travels at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-25-2017
One of None

Re: Is there any good sailing in Knoxville, TN?

Very: large lakes most are connected by the Inland Waterway Chicago to Alabama

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.

My last project!
post #3 of 10 Old 08-25-2017

All depends on what you mean by quality sailing...small boat is pretty decent, cruising can be OK, BUT if you are looking for bigger boats, 5 day trips, waves and wind and heeling over and ....

not so much.

post #4 of 10 Old 08-25-2017
One of None

I have family in a lives in Tennessee, part of the family live in a development overlooking chickamagua Lake which is part of the Tennessee River system this is big water down there I've never sailed it but there are big boats also and locks, & dams

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.

My last project!
post #5 of 10 Old 08-25-2017

Knoxville is a gorgeous area.
You have several lakes to choose from...nearby. It's TVA country.
A trailer sailer would be ideal, imo, but several of the lakes are also plentiful with fulltime houseboaters.
East TN is one of my most fave areas of this country.
Y'all is a keyword...
post #6 of 10 Old 08-26-2017

There's plenty of sailing, but how good it is depends on what you must have. The lakes are great, but they aren't great lakes -- there isn't one that you can't see all the way across, for example. As inland lakes in a bit of a valley and surrounded by woodlands, well, you won't need a storm jib. The wind is generally light. But if you want to have a small boat that you sail on weekends for the serene joy of it, then you have a good chance of being happy with what you find there. And if you decide to take up bass fishing, well, you'll be very happy indeed.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-26-2017 Thread Starter

Thanks guys, it seems the consensus is pretty much unanimous so I guess my next step is a trip down there to see what these guys have to offer. I certainly appreciate all the info.

“If you surrender to the wind, you can ride it.” – Toni Morrison

"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc"

Follow Chameleon's travels at:
post #8 of 10 Old 08-26-2017

When I was boat shopping I looked at a boat that was on Watts Barr Lake Southwest of Knoxville. The boat an ericson 32 had spent it's entire life on this lake. Most of the people on the lake were either from Chattanooga or Knoxville. There were some fairly good size boats there and several people I talked to there had taken their boats all the way to the Gulf via the waterway which is a plus if you are into that sort of thing. You can make the entire trip without unstepping the mast. I imagine the downside of that location would be that you would more than likely have to haul the boat in the winter though.
post #9 of 10 Old 08-26-2017

I live on one of those "swollen river lakes" and have a Nor'sea 27 that sails very nicely on those "swollen river lakes" thank you very much.
Knoxville has a decent yacht club, Concord Yacht Club | Knoxville Sailing, Racing, & Education
Just over the hill and up yonder about 50 miles as the crow flies there is another club https://www.clsc-tn.net/contact They like to race on the lake.

The nice thing about Knoxville is down river a ways is Mobile Bay and then the Gulf. Just a few locks in the way. Instead of turning left at the junction turn right and you are on your way to Chicago and the great lakes.
The TVA ramps are free to launch and retrieve.
oysterman23 likes this.

Nor'sea 27
Don't re-accommodate me, Bro
And the trees are all keep equal by hatchet, axe and saw...RUSH
I invented a new word today, plagiarism.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-27-2017

Good luck with the job prospects in the Knoxville area. If you can get past not having salt water, Knoxville has much to offer. In my opinion it is a great place to live.
Skipper Jer and Azzarac like this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in