Someone To Find A Sailboat For Me? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 27 Old 08-31-2017
One of None

Re: Someone To Find A Sailboat For Me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deina View Post
No, of course not, but it seems that a less than ethical broker (if such exist) would be more interested in their bottom line over yours.
I've never used the broker I have no experience with them, what about you? Have you bought a boat? do you own a boat? Do you go through life full of mistrust of people that you've never used or had any experience with? Knowledge is power, if you don't have it, you pay somebody to has it.

There's a very good chance the person you're paying for that knowledge and experience has a good your reputation and relies on good reports and word-of-mouth for much of their business

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk
Deina likes this.

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 Old 08-31-2017

No, I've never used a broker, though one does hear horror stories. OTOH, I suppose that in these days of Yelp & Angies List it's harder for the unethical ones to stay for long.
post #13 of 27 Old 08-31-2017

Sounds like it comes down to if your budget is enough to warrant a broker.

Either way, you'll need to come up with some criteria about what your ideal boat looks like in order to better focus the list of recommended ones... there are many threads on many forums "which is the best..." - we can give you advice, opinions, or even recommendations but you need to offer some parameters first.

Some initial criteria:
What is your budget
What is your experience
Where will you sail initially
Where do you want to sail (this boat) ultimately
How many crew/passengers do you plan to handle
How long of a passage do you plan to be able to provision for
What do you plan to do with/on the boat (race, fish, scuba dive, live aboard, etc.)
Special considerations
neeqness likes this.

post #14 of 27 Old 08-31-2017

I wanted a Catalina 320 fin keel, Yanmar engine, conventional main etc. so I looked at all that were available locally then had my broker check on one 450 miles away in San Francisco, we flew up and I bought that one. You must be much more specific than "over 30' that I can single hand", I don't have a clue what YOU can sail single handed.
I'd sold my previous boat without broker, however I had a friend who owned a brokerage, was a circumnavigator, 100 ton master etc. and since it was no cost to me I used him. I still told him which boats I was interested in looking at.

"Just call me TB"

Last edited by capttb; 08-31-2017 at 11:22 AM.
post #15 of 27 Old 08-31-2017

Brokers

Hey,

Over the last 15 or so years I have dealt with many brokers. As in any field there are good and not so good ones.

I have had brokers excited to help me buy a 15K boat, and brokers that didn't return my calls on a 100K boat.

Speak to lots of them, get referrals from others, and use your judgement.

If you are not experienced in boats and boat buying you DEFINITELY should find and use a good broker.

Good luck,
Barry
chef2sail likes this.

Barry Lenoble
Deep Blue C, 2002 C&C 110
Mt. Sinai, NY

post #16 of 27 Old 08-31-2017

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Why get a broker when you can listen to all the "experts" on here? Some of them even sail and own boats.
deniseO30 and snokid like this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #17 of 27 Old 08-31-2017

Exclamation Re: Someone To Find A Sailboat For Me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dispatch View Post
I am new to this so I figured I'd ask...

I'm looking for atleast a 30' cruiser sailboat, maybe a little longer that I can single-hand.

I want something that is pretty much turn key but I wouldn't pass up a deal that might need some investment/upgrades.

I've been looking for so long now and haven't had any luck finding one that has the layout I want, in the condition I want.

I was wondering, is there someone I can hire to look and find a sailboat for me?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
We just had a major Hurricane strike the continent. Be VERY VERY careful. Hurricane boats will be popping up all over. Make sure you have a great broker by getting references and an even better surveyor.
deniseO30 likes this.
post #18 of 27 Old 08-31-2017
One of None

Pooped may be a better word....

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.

My last project!
post #19 of 27 Old 08-31-2017

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

As others have said you have to reasearch and define you individual criteria more

We all look for different things in boats. Some want performance , others comfort, some want chlorox bottles, some want teak monsters. Some prefer traditional old school overhangs with swept sterns, some like big wide asses. Some are looking at a bargain price , while others see value in craftmanship and long term worth. Everyone is different . Who are you?

Any boat can be single handed depending on a persons skill or can be set up that way.

I have many reputable friends who are brokers, are very knowledgeable and want to sell boats whether for $20,000 or $200,000. Yes there are some bad brokers, but that's the same in any profession.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #20 of 27 Old 08-31-2017

I asked a (very)simple question as others have asked similarly the same thing and received no answer.. I (highly) doubt the OP is serious or real in his/her intentions....

Last edited by aa3jy; 08-31-2017 at 06:46 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in