Hurricane Irma - On the Hook - SailNet Community
 41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 84 Old 09-01-2017 Thread Starter

Hurricane Irma - On the Hook

Just looking for general advice. I'm watching the track of Hurricane Irma and hoping the current HP system strengthens and drives it south of the VA/NC Coast. Either way on Wednesday I'm putting my boat on the hook as a precaution (and also for the experience as it will only be the 2nd time Ive been on a mooring). Any advice on how to prepare the boat (and myself) would be helpful. 1986 289 Oday. Will be near the head of the Chesapeake near Aberdeen, MD
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 84 Old 09-01-2017
Learning the HARD way...

Way too early to worry about it.

If it does become a concern, here is what I have done for storm prep for my O'day 35:
Jib comes off.
Main gets secured to backstay, and wrapped with a dock line around sailcover.
Dodger comes off.
My single support Bimini stays in its cover.

On a slip, I have always doubled the lines and centered in the slip. My neighbor and I have worked in concert to keep our boats centered in the slip, and off of each other.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 84 Old 09-01-2017

Re: Hurricane Irma - On the Hook

I strip everything, it all comes off and gets stowed below:

- jib
- main
- halyards (replaced with messenger lines)
- dodger
- bimini
- lifesling
- grill
- anchor
- man overboard pole

full disclosure: I forgot the stow the MOB Pole during hurricane Matthew. Matthew stowed it for me ... just not where I wanted it stowed.

1977 Bristol 29.9
Surprise
Hull #5
Oriental NC

post #4 of 84 Old 09-01-2017

BlueMax

Odd opinion here, but where is your boat usually stored??? The idea of putting the boat on the hook (Anchor???) or mooring..where there will be only one thing linking the boat to the point....I would and have, run the boat up the nearest creek, aground or close to it and tether it to the sides of the creek, using several lines to do so.. We have installed several boats "up the creek" over the years and have had significantly less damage than watching one dance on a mooring or anchor lead..or worse breaking loose and running wild.

Either way, remove anything that can be removed, sails, canvas, frames and even winch covers (seldom make it through a strong blow) and tie down the rest using multiple paths and lines. We even bring home electronics and high value things that can be removed.
oysterman23 likes this.
post #5 of 84 Old 09-01-2017

Quote:

- jib
- main
- dodger
- bimini
- lifesling
- grill
- anchor
- man overboard pole
The above is very good information, I would also add that if you are anchoring that you use the heaviest anchor that you can get your hands on and still be able to deploy.
Use lots of scope preferably with chain and a long bridle snubber, double up on chaffing gear (ie fire hose and the like) Try to position the boat where you will have the most protection from the strongest anticipated wind direction and where you are less likely to be dragged down upon by other boats that don't take the same level of precaution that you do. Of course once the wind goes above 100 mph it's pretty much just a crap shoot. This is my plan anyway. I've got a 65 lb. Mantus with 165' of 3/8" G4 chain and and a bridle made up of 35' of 7/8" three strand on each side which attaches to a chain bridle that goes around the bow cleats. The end of the chain is also attached to a single snubber that goes back to the primary winch and then to the stern cleat. All of the tackle on the boat is enclosed in two layers of fire hose, a 2/12" which is in a 5". There are others that disagree with this approach and they may be right but this is the choice that I made and I'm sticking to it.
seabeau likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to contrarian For This Useful Post:
timangiel (09-04-2017)
post #6 of 84 Old 09-01-2017
Freedom Chip Counter

Strip it bare! Tie on fenders or other means of keeping boats and floating objects off yours. They may also keep your boat above the waterline if it gets holed.
timangiel likes this.

Tartan 31
The Following User Says Thank You to scubadoo For This Useful Post:
timangiel (09-04-2017)
post #7 of 84 Old 09-01-2017
Banned

Watch this video of Cat 4 hurricane Harvey and then figure out what kind of ground tackle you think you'll need to handle these conditions...

My take? Take shelter and write off your boat.
post #8 of 84 Old 09-01-2017

Why not hope it stays out to sea instead of just hitting people other than you?

Mark (boat currently South of VA/NC)
scubadoo, seabeau and AJC506 like this.

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #9 of 84 Old 09-01-2017 Thread Starter

Thanks. After reading this I may just center in the slip and double line. Appreciate the feedback. ?
post #10 of 84 Old 09-01-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrarian View Post
Quote:

- jib
- main
- dodger
- bimini
- lifesling
- grill
- anchor
- man overboard pole
The above is very good information, I would also add that if you are anchoring that you use the heaviest anchor that you can get your hands on and still be able to deploy.
Use lots of scope preferably with chain and a long bridle snubber, double up on chaffing gear (ie fire hose and the like) Try to position the boat where you will have the most protection from the strongest anticipated wind direction and where you are less likely to be dragged down upon by other boats that don't take the same level of precaution that you do. Of course once the wind goes above 100 mph it's pretty much just a crap shoot. This is my plan anyway. I've got a 65 lb. Mantus with 165' of 3/8" G4 chain and and a bridle made up of 35' of 7/8" three strand on each side which attaches to a chain bridle that goes around the bow cleats. The end of the chain is also attached to a single snubber that goes back to the primary winch and then to the stern cleat. All of the tackle on the boat is enclosed in two layers of fire hose, a 2/12" which is in a 5". There are others that disagree with this approach and they may be right but this is the choice that I made and I'm sticking to it.
The firehose is something I've never really thought of but a good idea. Why would some disagree with this? Seems like a reasonable and appropriate method to mitigate some of the risk...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in