Message for my friend Max - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 Old 02-25-2007 Thread Starter
Optimist,a small big boat

Smile Message for my friend Max

Hello Max, this is Fred. Do you remeber me?

I'm here to tell you that you don't need to be affraid of being on a sailboat when it leans. Leaning is very good for fun, I like it very much. Please don't be affraid, ok? I do it all the time and like it, and it is not dangerous.

The sailboat leaning is fun and normal, sailboats lean, because the wind hits the sails, to make the boat move but also inclines the boat, but it is not strong enough to turn the boat upside down.

If the boat leans too much we can let go the sail a little bit and it leans less, but also sails slower.
So remember, if you think the boat is leaning too much, release the sail sheet a little, OK? Ask your Daddy to show you where is the sheet, and how it stops the boat from leaning.

ok?No need to be affraid!

Also boats have thing that prevent them form turning upside down. Its called a keel, I show a picture of one. Big sailboats like your Dady have a keel that has a big big big weight (1000 times your weight), and it is under the water, when the wind hits the sail, the boat leans, sometimes looks like it is a lot, but it is not, and it stops leaning, but that keel will never let the boat turn upsidedown.

Small boats like mine, don't have the heavy keel, so I sit on the side and doing that I balance the boat so it does not lean. In my boat I don't like it leaning because it makes the boat go slow, so I lean overboard to straighten the boat. See me on the photo.

I know a trick to help you, next time you go sail with your Daddy, don't sit on the high side of the boat. Sit on the side that is down and put your back against the seat. If you are still affraid, sit on the floor a liitle bit, then standup as you are not affraid any more, but allways on the lower side. Very quick you will see that the boat leans, but never turns upo side down, OK??

I wait for your message, OK??

Here is a photo of a keel, underneath the boat.

Here is me when I was 3 I allwys sit on the low side. Then at 4 I went already to the high side.

At 4 I was on the high side and grab to the seat. Fun...

My cousin was affraid of sailing but now she is not...she had no theeth

And bellow its me on my old sailboat. I have to seat on the side to help it go straight, you can lean back to help...make big muscles.

(This message was entirely written by Fred, corrected by me, and photos uploaded by me too. His ideas, his words, his photos, to help Max learn how to sail. Giulietta.)

Remember..we are the future of sailing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 02-25-2007
Hitchin' a ride

Thank you Fred, (and Giu). Max is a little shy so he is thinking about what to write back, and reading your post over and over. Also, he is only with me Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

Great men always have too much sail up. - Christopher Buckley

Vaya con Dios
post #3 of 42 Old 02-25-2007
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Giuletta-
Sailors lean when they are drunk. Keelboats never get drunk, so they never lean. They only heel.

Which reminds me of the wonderful Marx Brothers film, "A Night at the Opera". Fred will very much enjoy seeing the film, tell him to watch for the scene where one of the brothers (Harpo?) is leaning against a wall and someone comes over and says "Whadda ya think you're doing? Holding up that wall?"
You know what is going to happen as soon as he moves on.

post #4 of 42 Old 02-26-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPTIMANIA
I know a trick to help you, next time you go sail with your Daddy, don't sit on the high side of the boat. Sit on the side that is down and put your back against the seat. If you are still affraid, sit on the floor a liitle bit, then standup as you are not affraid any more, but allways on the lower side. Very quick you will see that the boat leans, but never turns upo side down, OK??

Fred,
If Max's Dad has a boat like your Dads he might not want to sit on the floor since it appears from the pictures with your cousin that the back of the boat (stern) is open. He might be afraid he is going to slide into the water.

I hope Max learns to be as good a sailor as you are! Good job.

"Tell 'em I'm busy. I'm on a sails call."
post #5 of 42 Old 02-27-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor
Giuletta-
Sailors lean when they are drunk. Keelboats never get drunk, so they never lean. They only heel.

Which reminds me of the wonderful Marx Brothers film, "A Night at the Opera". Fred will very much enjoy seeing the film, tell him to watch for the scene where one of the brothers (Harpo?) is leaning against a wall and someone comes over and says "Whadda ya think you're doing? Holding up that wall?"
You know what is going to happen as soon as he moves on.
Hey...give me a break, ok??? Its not my first language...besides fred wrote I just "corrected".....but noted the term....In Portuguese heel and lean are the same word, thus the confusion...

Fred wants to see the movie, as he is too young and he never saw them...I did and explained...now I have to look for a place here that might have those in DVD....nice...give him ideas so I spend money...
post #6 of 42 Old 02-27-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamlicotraveler
Fred,
If Max's Dad has a boat like your Dads he might not want to sit on the floor since it appears from the pictures with your cousin that the back of the boat (stern) is open. He might be afraid he is going to slide into the water.

I hope Max learns to be as good a sailor as you are! Good job.
Pam

On that photo, that was one of my previous boats that had an open transom. Bestfriends, is a CS34, thus closed transom, and Fred knows about it.

Good call though..thanks
post #7 of 42 Old 02-27-2007
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

G-
You will be forced to spend money in the pursuit of heartfelt laughter with your son. Yes, well, things could be worse.

'Heel' and 'lean' all the same in Portuguese?? Interesting, maybe we got one of them from Norse or one of the other contributors to modern English. No wonder we're so confused all the time.
post #8 of 42 Old 02-27-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor
G-
You will be forced to spend money in the pursuit of heartfelt laughter with your son. Yes, well, things could be worse.

'Heel' and 'lean' all the same in Portuguese?? Interesting, maybe we got one of them from Norse or one of the other contributors to modern English. No wonder we're so confused all the time.
Nahhh...if he wants to laugh I tickle him....its free!!!!

Yes the word in Portuguese is "inclinar", means tilt, lean, heel etc. means remove from straight or remove from vertical.
post #9 of 42 Old 03-11-2007 Thread Starter
Optimist,a small big boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestfriend
Thank you Fred, (and Giu). Max is a little shy so he is thinking about what to write back, and reading your post over and over. Also, he is only with me Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
Hello Max, I know you sailed with your Dady, thats a good news. I know you now sit in the high side when the boat is heeling..like a real sailor. Did you like ? I like a lot. The boat is fun and the wind strong makes go fast, right?

I have pictures when I was on Pirate boat in Saint Thomas. With real pirates.

My father say pirate boat is funny, but not fast. I like Pirate boat. He likes pirate boat.

Look the pirate flag, but pirates are good, they give me sweets and juice.

Fred

Remember..we are the future of sailing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by OPTIMANIA; 03-11-2007 at 06:21 PM.
post #10 of 42 Old 03-11-2007

Bem escrito querido filho. O papa tem muitas saudades tuas e do mano. Toma conta da Mama.

Papa

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in