Youtube sailboat video blogs - question - Page 9 - SailNet Community
 305Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 339 Old 09-16-2017
Land lubber

Re: Youtube sailboat video blogs - question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jppp View Post
I cut the cable 15 years ago. ROKU baby!! Still paying though.
Beat me to it. I think I cut it off in 2005 or 2006.... Wow, I have saved close to $15,000 dollars on cable tv bills.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 339 Old 09-16-2017
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
Sharing ideas is not SHOWING OFF.... but it is SHOWING others your thinking.

Vloggers ARE trying to attract viewers and viewers who will support them... that seems self evident.

No?
Vloggers are simply showing others their thinking (and experiences) too...just like you're doing here. One of the big differences is that vlogging is, without question, FAR harder work than posting in forums. I have quite a bit of experience to know that for a fact.

As for "attracting viewers and viewers who will support them" - same thing. Internet forum debates are exactly this...just without the Patreon angle. It's about philosophical support/validation (or the opposite or even just attention) - not financial support. Even so, I've made money with my forum opinions (e.g. - writing an article for Cruising World, doing product reviews, etc.).

So to your question - no. They are very much the same thing, just with slightly different dynamics. One is not "better" or somehow "morally superior" to another as you are trying to imply.

So I'll leave it there. This was just an important issue to me because I am a forum poster, writer, vlogger, etc. I think I've made my point.
The Following User Says Thank You to smackdaddy For This Useful Post:
Proteus Rising (09-17-2017)
post #83 of 339 Old 09-16-2017

Quote:
Vloggers ARE trying to attract viewers and viewers who will support them...
Some times, but not necessarily.

Think of it like a pot luck dinner.

I bring the dhaal, Johan brings the naan, Mary brings the line chaffon, Diana brings the samosas, Tony and Tina had a fire in their kitchen, so they didn't bring anything and Macs a rotten cook but showed up with a case of beer.

If I had eaten alone, I'd have nothing but dhaal, but because of the potluck format, I get a great meal and conversation to boot.

Now if Raphael shows up with turkey and says, I want $2 a plate for my turkey, it kind of changes the Dynamics of the pot luck, especially if their are some vegetarians in the group.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with selling turkey, by all means, open a restaurant and sell turkey. If I want turkey, I might even come and buy some, but our relationship is now customer and vendor, rather than pals at a potluck.
Proteus Rising likes this.

Last edited by Arcb; 09-17-2017 at 09:47 AM.

post #84 of 339 Old 09-16-2017
Banned

Here's a great example of vlogging with a different vibe than just "lifestyle"...

Levi does a great job with TropicalTidbits (as good as Chris Parker as far as I'm concerned - though definitely more generalized) and provides very valuable information regarding threatening weather.

See the Patreon and Paypal buttons? All the social icons? Is he seeking "attention" and "viewers who will support him"? Of course he is. Does hard work go into his videos and info? Absolutely.

Will you support him with your dollars? Or is he just another "sponging vlogger"?
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2017-09-16 at 2.08.04 PM.jpg  
mbianka and Proteus Rising like this.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 09-16-2017 at 03:36 PM.
post #85 of 339 Old 09-16-2017
arrgh!

Dock

I don't know if many here have heard of Malcolm Gladwell? I've read his books and just recently watched some interviews.

When it comes to work v not work, he suggests you need 10,000 hours of doing something to be a master of it.... I disagree with this to a degree, if you have some ancillary experience, it will play into your hours. Like if you were a photographer for 3,000 hours, that adds into your videography hours.

I think it would be safe to say, that the hours put in have to be quality hours. I have taken more than 10,000 photos....but only about a third of those did I put in any quality time... That is to say, you can just snap a lot of pictures and you will improve, some, but not as much if you are thinking about what you are doing, working on composition, tone, lighting, etc.

When you watch some video channels, it is clear that it is improving because the creators are working hard to improve it.

One of the things Gladwell points out, people are more likely to get mastery IF you enjoy it, more so than say if you have a natural talent. Because if you like doing something, you are more likely to do it.

Of course, there are a lot of audience members who don't care about mastery (regardless of the medium). Some of the best-edited videos have few views...

If you go to the Sailing-Channels and look at the most viewed, most times there is a certain babes in bikini aspect to them. And in each channel, if you look at the thumbnail of each, the highest view is likely to have a bikini woman in it.

It has been pointed out those who are making videos to make a profit have a different tone to them than if you are just making videos so your friends know you are okay.

As far as work, everything you don't like to do will be work.. but if you love what you are doing, would be willing to pay someone to do it, it won't be work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vector X Y

Last edited by titustiger27; 09-16-2017 at 08:12 PM.
post #86 of 339 Old 09-16-2017

Daddy your opinion is certainly a but influenced because you have skin in the game as they say. I would hardly expect you to think patreon and supported vlogging is anything but good. But that's OK... everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Regardless of the production values I am not one to watch vlogs and will not support other people's cruising financially...

Over and out.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #87 of 339 Old 09-16-2017
Banned

Quote:
Daddy your opinion is certainly a but influenced because you have skin in the game as they say. I would hardly expect you to think patreon and supported vlogging is anything but good.
I've not argued that financially supported vlogging is "good". I've just countered your earlier proclamation that it's somehow "bad" (showing off, narcissistic, egotistical, etc.) or "easy" (not hard work, not worth people's money, etc.).

It's neither of those.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 09-16-2017 at 09:09 PM.
post #88 of 339 Old 09-16-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdy View Post
I guess I am old school - and it seems to work for many - but sailing around the world or maybe just the Caribbean and asking others to support you - this works? I would have thought you can always ask but there would not be many who would send you $$ - but I guess many do.

While I enjoy some of the video's its going to be a cold day in hell when I send a couple of twentysomethings dinero to help them sail around the Pacific in their $300,000 boat.

I know many do it in a much smaller / less expensive boat - and I can relate better to them, I would still save the money for my own adventure -

Yea, I'd say chalk it up to "the old days" thinking. If you ever watched Rick Steeves on PBS or any other assorted travel show, you were supporting the same type of programming. How expensive do you imagine it was to haul around a big camera crew and fly all over the world? Trust me, most people who vlog, don't make money. It's the rare few that find an audience. So instead of PBS or NBC paying them, the cord cutters pay them directly. It's just the 2017 version.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If it's gonna happen, it'll happen out there.
post #89 of 339 Old 09-17-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by clippi View Post
Yea, I'd say chalk it up to "the old days" thinking. If you ever watched Rick Steeves on PBS or any other assorted travel show, you were supporting the same type of programming. How expensive do you imagine it was to haul around a big camera crew and fly all over the world? Trust me, most people who vlog, don't make money. It's the rare few that find an audience. So instead of PBS or NBC paying them, the cord cutters pay them directly. It's just the 2017 version.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Advertisers ultimately pay Rick Steves... not viewers. Crowdfunding is recent and exists because of the web. One question is why do these people make their vlogs available on the web? Motives range from sharing information with concerned friends.... to making a living while cruising. Escaping the hum drum is not something many can do because it requires capital to get and equip a boat and then money for food/clothing and maintenance/repairs and fees. Living aboard is usually much less expensive than living on dirt.... but unless you set off with an stash or have and income from investments... you need to make money to "live/cruise". Some did work along the way... mechanical repairs, waiting tables when in port... even making pizza... or just living aboard and having an otherwise normal job ashore.

Selling content you create over the web is a model that seems to work for some... who selling their "adventure" to people who want to peek and pay. And apparently many do for whatever reason. How many can actually make a living selling almost the same content? I suppose a lot if the content is varied enough. For technical information... printed guides may be more complete and reliable but obviously not real time. Maybe cruising guide published will move to a web based model sort of like active captain but with vetted material. I suppose echart companies probably have modules to add to their charts with these sorts of data or they will soon... And these conceivably are more robust, more reliable, less entertainment and viewed on the plotter or connected mobile device.

Of course people like to be entertained and this format of episodes is a well established hook... tune in for the next episode of Housewives of the Caribbean!
mbianka and Arcb like this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #90 of 339 Old 09-17-2017

Quote:
Advertisers ultimately pay Rick Steves... not viewers.
I'm not familiar with Rick Steves, specifically, but I grew up around PBS ...

And PBS was _NOT_ funded purely by advertisers. It was funded by a combination of government grants, "sponsors" (which are essentially advertisers) and the general public. PBS frequently had funding drives when the sponsors or the grants weren't sufficient, and these funding drives would sometimes pre-empt hours and hours of content. (I haven't watched PBS in years, so I don't know if that funding model still exists). Overall, it doesn't seem terribly different than the current youtube model, and I seem to remember the PBS content usually being higher quality than the network content. (I seriously doubt if a mainstream network could have brought us Bob Ross)

Overall, this is an annoying pattern to your posts: they are frequently exaggerated, misleading, or outright false. I'm unsure why this is the case, but it's pretty much the sole drive perpetuating this thread -- despite the fact that you keep _claiming_ that you're done discussing the topic.

Personally, I'd like to drop it, but you keep bringing up points that I feel require clarification ... such as this PBS comment.
SanderO likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in