Month 12 Expenses of Cruising and Living on the Boat - SailNet Community
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 Old 09-18-2017 Thread Starter
bell ringer

Month 12 Expenses of Cruising and Living on the Boat

This past month we traveled ……………. nowhere again and are still in a slip in Brunswick GA for the hurricane season. Evacuated for 6 days during Irma, but no boat damage and that’s why we are here!

Been planning a lot of boat upgrade projects, but didn’t do many the past month and kind of vegged. Seems I should be working harder on the boat, but then I don’t have any schedule and still have lots of time. Next month I’ve got about $2500-3000 in boat upgrades planned to make life better based on what I’ve learned the past 12 months.

Didn’t dine out all the much and half the dine out costs was something we did with someone in return for then taking us somewhere as we don’t have a car. At the same time since we have grocery access we probably have spent more on food as there are more choices.

Speaking of transportation, we got a couple bikes at Walmart and these really opened up being able to get around town and go to bigger grocery store etc. We also got the bikes to get more exercise than our broken-down knees could handle walking. We had a couple of folding bikes, but the new ones are sooooo much better and since we sold the folding bikes the new ones only really cost $150. We did a couple of Uber trips to the movie theater that we combine with a big grocery run to make use of the Uber ride back and paid for some gas for cars.

Communication is all in cell phone costs, which also is backup internet here for when the marina system decides to go down (unfortunately not uncommon).

Entertainment expenses were for some Kindle books and going to a couple of movies. We won some money in the lottery and at poker and these are in entertainment 😊

Marina cost is for a month of dockage. Paid electrical this month, it was for about 1.5 months of power and the $4/day is well worth it to run the air conditioning for us. But I know not all agree so will put it in a separate line item.

The total was $ 2,638.44, which was under the $3,000 budget while staying in a marina and using power. Appears staying in marina all month is less costly for us than cruising, but then I didn’t start this to stay in the same marina for months. Cost breakdown as follows:

Food, soda, alcohol, clothing, sundries - $ 992.03
Boat upgrades, repairs, maintenance - $ 212.17
Fuel (diesel, gas, propane) - $ 0
Dining out - $ 277,22
Entertainment - $ 58.85
Communication, storage, shipping - $ 128.36
Bank Fees – ($ 38,72) using my cash back card saves money
Marina - $ 588.48
Electric - $ 156.66
Medical - $ 22.27
Transportation - $ 241.12

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 09-18-2017

Re: Month 12 Expenses of Cruising and Living on the Boat

Interesting how staying at the Marina bought down your costs.

Mike
Currently: Hunkering down for a bit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 40 Old 09-18-2017 Thread Starter
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Interesting how staying at the Marina bought down your costs.
I need to learn how to party more/harder!

post #4 of 40 Old 09-18-2017
Barquito

Don -

What did you find problematic with the folding bikes?

Valiant 32
post #5 of 40 Old 09-18-2017 Thread Starter
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
Don -

What did you find problematic with the folding bikes?
Too unstable to ride very far. They were the 20" wheel bikes.
travlin-easy likes this.

post #6 of 40 Old 09-18-2017
Land lubber

Thank you for the input once again!
post #7 of 40 Old 09-19-2017

I carry a veloemobile with electric boost, this is like a car but only for one. Add a trailer I can carry an eight foot Kayak or an electric fridge freezer[watch the thieves]I have a cover for bad weather.
I think people with live aboards would find solar so much cheaper for lightts and fridges, Electric motors are half the cost to run or less than fosil fuel, so think of them for movement. I have herd of very good fuel savings with Hydregon boosted motors[ still not investigated properly try the friends of the earth]. What is that gray matter between your ears is called a brain use it. Insulation will cut your heating and cooling costs, turning off lights. Like instead of spending a couple of hours a day yelling at the wife for excersie do your power supply a favor and bike up some amps. and help your heart. I mean if you do two hours on the bike you can run a light for four, feel better and be more alert in a criss plus the other health benifits. 4 people on a boat would generate enough electricity to run lights, bilge pumps as well. Wind turbines, Solar panels. think people think our ice caps are melting at an alarming rate.
Why electric motors are cheaper is they have torque at all revs. so they say a 20 hp desil will be around as strong as a 10 HP electric. So to supply an electric motor you may need around a 7 hp Genorsator and get the rest of your power from solar our wind. Smaller motors need less fixing and parts are cheaper. Use less fuel. Electric motors need so little care.
You can get solar panels in sails. Revers electric motors to recharge your batteries. All sorts of things. The climate prroblem that creatred erma needs to be adressed now. Think of the great Grand kids don't you love them.
timangiel likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to half sunk For This Useful Post:
timangiel (09-19-2017)
post #8 of 40 Old 09-19-2017

To cut costs more grow some sprouts, sprouted seeds are so good for you. You will not need such large fridges. Be like Popi and eat spinach leaves, small, Grow some chilli bushes, capsicums, garlic, certain herbs grow well in pots, cut your bills more. A three foot by six foot panel will turn 8 liters of saltwater into 8 fresh every day use a hand pump a save onpower, there are other ways to. Start a small composite system to feed your plants, composting tiolets. Use fish safe cleaners, it goes on and on we can beat this hurricane criss and ice melting.
post #9 of 40 Old 09-19-2017

^I don't see Don growing sprouts anytime soon...
travlin-easy likes this.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
post #10 of 40 Old 09-19-2017

Well then he is guilty of killing the planet for his own selfishness, also people often say Yuk with out trying them. Putthem in a sal,ad add some mayonase get your vitiman C on long triops saves getting scurve. Sprouts are quiet nice when you get used to them. It is a fact we have got used to eating rubbish.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in