Boat moan forum..? - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 62Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 39 Old 09-24-2017

Re: Boat moan forum..?

Many years of boating and biking and never a moan but my LG fridge is a piece of junk.Apparently factory defects don't count. LG says get lost .Sears ,where we bought it with extended warranty, says talk to LG. NOT HAPPY> Thinking of a You tube "How to fix stuff with an axe'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 39 Old 09-24-2017

One other thing is you don't know what you don't know....

you might think right now you need a full galley but after you own the boat for a while you figure out you never cook on the boat....

Bob
post #23 of 39 Old 09-24-2017

Two very consistent problems that I've had with my boat is that it is 3' too small when I'm sleeping on it, but 3' too large when I'm trailering it. This is clearly a design error.
Skipper Jer, capta, bshock and 3 others like this.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack

post #24 of 39 Old 09-25-2017

I live in both worlds, sailboats and motorcycles. A couple of others too. My go to ride these days is a BMW K1600GTL. We sat on one in the dealership a couple of years back, just to pass some time. My wife rides two up, she does not ride herself. She climbs aboard and taps me in the rib and says "buy this", with the sales guy standing there. That went badly.

Despite the sticker price of this ride, the cost of keeping the bike on the road is fairly predictable and affordable. Every time I have the dealer do service, I can hear the defensiveness, if anything is going to cost over a couple hundred dollars. Therein lies the big difference. The boat is going to sting you harder and be substantially less predictable. If you own a cruising boat, it's a better comparison to owning a second home. Ours only justifies itself compare to owning, maintaining and paying taxes on a waterfront property in New England.

The point is, you really have to love your boat or you will quickly get out of the business. I know folks that love their motorcycles too, but it doesn't compare to how a boat becomes a part of who you are.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #25 of 39 Old 09-25-2017

Having just completed a 10,000 + mile trip to and from Alaska and the Pacific North West on a BMW R1200GS/A it had issues..but it?s mostly quality control by outside vendors contracted to BMW.. ie.,the current front fork stanchion recall.

Also owning a World renown blue water cruiser..Cabo Rico..has its own issues but we maintain a very active forum for owners to discuss those issues separately from here..
ChrisFernandes likes this.

Last edited by aa3jy; 09-25-2017 at 07:12 AM.
post #26 of 39 Old 09-25-2017
Learning the HARD way...

Like @Minnewaska , I live in both camps too...

Currently in Rhode Island is my 30-year old O'day 35. My gripes about the boat; I sold a 2001 Honda ST1100 in 2010, and that paid for ONE YEAR of slip and storage for the boat. The design of the propane locker / cockpit allows rainwater to sneak through a gap between the locker's liner and end up in the bilge if the boat is kept in a slip (not a problem now that it is on a mooring). I wish that the interior cabinetry, especially the drawers was more efficient (there is a good deal of wasted space).

Currently in Florida is my 12-year old Honda VTX 1300. My gripes about the bike; cruising range (the ST would do 380 miles on a tank, the VTX; 130). I am more of a "spor-touring" and not a "cruiser" guy, and I really miss the ST. However, with the way that I actually USE the bike in Florida (I commute to work from Ft Myers to the northern tip of Captiva), the VTX is perfect.

With both the bike and the boat there are many minor things that annoyed me that I have upgraded (steering head bearings changed from ball to roller on the bike, the traveler, and need for a foot block for the jib sheet on the boat) or replaced.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

Last edited by eherlihy; 09-25-2017 at 08:08 AM.
post #27 of 39 Old 09-25-2017
Dirt Free

If you want the dirt on any vessel go to the "owners forum". After reading the issues and what they cost to correct you won't buy any boat that you are not already emotionally attached to....... Pick a brand, any brand.

On general forums like this one, slagging any brand will bring out the knives
bradyawl and ChrisFernandes like this.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #28 of 39 Old 09-25-2017
Captain Obvious

It's great to hear from fellow motorcycle enthusiasts here. I ride a Triumph Bonneville. The Triumph forums generally reflect owners who are happy with their bikes, even the privately run forums. MY bike has never had a problem, except that the stock igniter gave out after 25,000 miles. I bought $300 programmable ECU to replace it, and its been perfect ever since. I have a friend who has a BMW and he never stops complaining about the problems and expense. But they must be doing something right, there are so many loyal BMW riders. Same thing with Ducati.

Down the street from my office is a Triumph/Ducati dealership. The salesman told me he would take my bike on trade, I could test ride the Ducati and if I like it I could just ride it home and he would write it all up! A dangerous man. I walked out.

I think this is really apples and oranges. A motorcycle you stick in the corner of your garage when you aren't using it and you can forget it. A big boat is - as Minnewaska said - almost another house.
bigdogandy and ChrisFernandes like this.

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 09-25-2017 at 08:53 AM.
post #29 of 39 Old 09-25-2017
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
It's great to hear from fellow motorcycle enthusiasts here. I ride a Triumph Bonneville. The Triumph forums generally reflect owners who are happy with their bikes, even the privately run forums. MY bike has never had a problem, except that the stock igniter gave out after 25,000 miles. I bought $300 programmable ECU to replace it, and its been perfect ever since. I have a friend who has a BMW and he never stops complaining about the problems and expense. But they must be doing something right, there are so many loyal BMW riders. Same thing with Ducati.

Down the street from my office is a Triumph/Ducati dealership. The salesman told me he would take my bike on trade, I could test ride the Ducati and if I like it I could just ride it home and he would write it all up! A dangerous man. I walked out.

I think this is really apples and oranges. A motorcycle you stick in the corner of your garage when you aren't using it and you can forget it. A big boat is - as Minnewaska said - almost another house.
Sold my Triumphs a few years ago . 67 Daytona 500, 69' Bonnevile 650, 71' Bonnevile 750.
Strangely I never had an oil leak. The 750 twin was built during the union takeover so no Triumph records but is stamped as an unheard off T160 and is way faster than any other stock 750 I've seen.
Attached Thumbnails
triumph 750cc twin T160.jpg   3 Triumphs.jpg  
Sal Paradise likes this.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #30 of 39 Old 09-25-2017
Captain Obvious

Great photos. My bike is surprisingly fast, although fast is -- relative.

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in