Sailing video bloggers getting a bit too dramatic? - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 89Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 95 Old 10-07-2017

Re: Sailing video bloggers getting a bit too dramatic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dryfly19 View Post
Wouldnt it be great if they posted a lengthy step by step video of something like replacing an engine. Anyone know if this exists?

RAN Sailing did videos of quite a few major changes = most recently were those on installing a water maker and replacing a built-in verticle fridge with an off the shelf 60 ltr Dometic involving a considerable rebuild. There have been a couple of others as well I think

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 95 Old 10-07-2017

Quote:
I dont care if its entertaining, i just want it to be educational (like how history channel used to be). Wouldnt it be great if they posted a lengthy step by step video of something like replacing an engine. Anyone know if this exists?
Sail Life does very nice how to videos, mostly focused on refitting.

Good videos.

A good educational video about a topic or place I'm interested in, I enjoy.
jppp, br3nt and wymbly1971 like this.

Last edited by Arcb; 10-07-2017 at 06:05 PM.
post #23 of 95 Old 10-07-2017

Quote:
I dont care if its entertaining, i just want it to be educational (like how history channel used to be). Wouldnt it be great if they posted a lengthy step by step video of something like replacing an engine. Anyone know if this exists?
I was not doing videos at the time but, did document removing a Westerbeke W27 from my boat. Was much easier than I thought it would be: THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: Removing a Westerbeke diesel engine

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #24 of 95 Old 10-08-2017
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

1. Carefully wrap engine, including shaft and motor mounts, in 5/8" of fresh C4.
2. Insert primers every 8" on even spacing.
3. Attach detonator and pay out wire until at YC bar.
4. Detonate.

What's so hard about removing an old engine? Except, of course, convincing the guys at WalMart that you really are allowed to purchase C4. (And you don't even need marine grade for this job, any fresh C4 will do.)
post #25 of 95 Old 10-08-2017

I typically do not contribute to patreon or to fund me sites.....why should I fund the hedonistic adventures of people who chuck everything and go sailing. If and when I make that decision it will be when all life events conspire to allow me to do that, untethered from financial needs from begging. I do give to one vlog that has touched a nerve with me, "Vet Tails, Sailing Chuffed". This couple sails about and visits poor Central American countries offering free veterinary care. Truly worthy.
bblument likes this.
post #26 of 95 Old 10-08-2017

Most of these VLOGS are free. You click on their channel on Youtube and watch. IF you are so inclined, go ahead and give them money. Either they will survive or not. No point in commenting on whether or not they should or shouldn't earn a living sailing around. Most do it for their own satisfaction. I've seen a few just disappear. Complaining about support of these shows is like complaining about most reality show "talent" getting paid to make duck calls.
J
SVTatia and jfrede like this.

1985 C&C 35 MK 3 #150
LIS
post #27 of 95 Old 10-09-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdy View Post
I have sympathy for anyone losing or damaging their boat - my issue with their Youtube video was the pushing of a limited edition t-shirt and the teaser about an upcoming video showing what happened - to me it starts too look very scripted - and then my mind starts to wonder if it is a setup. I guess for them its about building a brand - which is fine, just getting a little too commercial for me.
+1. Well said. Their brand, however, is a little bit Gilligan's Island.

There are other channels that are much better. When they went commercial, commenting about a flaw is fair game in the marketplace.

I wonder what the demo is that supports WS. I think there original audience was heavily an older set that liked watching the kids take up the sport. It's when the kids checked out of a career and asked for money that it took on a different standard. The vid quality and editing in their Bahamas series was about the worst out there. Didn't matter until it was suggested it might be worth some cash.
mbianka likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #28 of 95 Old 10-09-2017 Thread Starter
cdy

One item that has made these videos much more interesting - that wasn't really available just a few years ago - drones with good video. Some great sailing shots that only 5 years ago would have to be done from a helicopter -

"No Bullsh*t, just sailing" videos have great shots of the guy's boat sailing the North Sea and shots of the coastline in Norway.
RegisteredUser and mbianka like this.
post #29 of 95 Old 10-09-2017
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

I would respectfully submit that the folks at Industrial Light & Magic, and a few other places, ought to get together and offer prize money for the first YoRube! videos to properly document:
1-The Green Flash
2-A Giant Kraken Attack
3-Cruisers falling off the edge of the flat earth
4-Polar bears, climbing aboard from an ice flow and attacking the entire crew
5-A military Phalanx gun in action, shooting down a swarm of more than 15 civilian drones in international waters.

And in each case, points can only be awarded if you can't find any stray pixels from a green screen or other magic. Additional categories and conditions welcome. Winner to get either a scholarship to UCLA or NYU film school, or a year's paid apprenticeship at IL&M if they've already graduated.

There's just SO much you can't find on YoRube!
post #30 of 95 Old 10-09-2017
Dirt Free

The Kardashians, People Magazine, National Enquirer, The Bachelor .......... Sailing Blogs. 6 of 1, half dozen of the other.
Too busy living to be bothered watching how other people live.
Oaksail and wymbly1971 like this.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in