Sailing video bloggers getting a bit too dramatic? - SailNet Community
 89Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 95 Old 10-06-2017 Thread Starter
cdy

Sailing video bloggers getting a bit too dramatic?

Saw where there was one in the Caribbean that sailed north back into the path of Irma - they lost the boat and then went to a fundme sight to get a new boat.

Another one where they are repairing a Freedom 32 I believe - their boat just sank - they made an announcement on their FB page and then pimped a limited edition t-shirt - and promised a new dramatic video of what happened. While it might be perfectly innocent and through no fault of their own the boat sank - it just leaves you wondering a bit - are there too many video bloggers out there - you have to be more dramatic than the next guy to get people to watch and support?

Maybe chicks in bikini's and thongs are starting too saturate the market and and a new marketing ploy must be rolled out to keep the eyeballs. Possibly a sinking boat with lots of women in bikinis and thongs going down while boat is being circled by a shark.
mbianka and seabeau like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 95 Old 10-06-2017
1979 Morgan Out Island 41

Re: Sailing video bloggers getting a bit too dramatic?

To some degree this is true of all mass media entertainment. It usually caters to the people that I label "the lowest common denominator" which I'm finding is becoming more common every day. There's only so much you can do with that though and I think the results for them is short term. Because they are just replaced by the next flash in the pan it looks ongoing but I don't think they last very long so not a long term plan to support a cruising lifestyle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 95 Old 10-06-2017

Yeah, I agree. It's a pretty short term strategy. If the bloggers are smart they will use the attention that they get to try and sell some other type of good/service for a longer term income stream.

And yeah, it's a very saturated market. The whole "self-absorbed female with the camera pressed in their face the entire time" shtick is getting a little old. To that point, you'd have to have a smoking hot female with constant wardrobe malfunctions to compete these days it seems.

On that note, I've ran across a new sailing / traveling vlog that is putting a unique spin on things. Almost like Anthony Bourdain meets a sailing vlog. Search "Sailing the Sea Bear" on the tube if you're interested. Of course the views are next to nothing, probably due to the newness and the absence of T&A (refreshing in my opinion).

Last edited by zipfactor; 10-06-2017 at 02:36 PM.

post #4 of 95 Old 10-06-2017 Thread Starter
cdy

I prefer - "no bullsh*t just sailing" - dude on his Contessa 35 in the North Sea - too cold for bikinis, also " Tales from an old seadog" or something along those lines - older guy from Britain - no bikinis there either - although he might wish he a one or two.
wymbly1971 likes this.
post #5 of 95 Old 10-06-2017
1979 Morgan Out Island 41

I enjoy sailing but I find "pure sailing" videos boring. I like the ones that are combinations of travel blogs with a mix of "this is how we do things on board" (provisioning, fixing things, issues they run into) and how the interaction between the people goes.
jwing and mbianka like this.

post #6 of 95 Old 10-06-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdy View Post
...Another one where they are repairing a Freedom 32 I believe - their boat just sank - they made an announcement on their FB page and then pimped a limited edition t-shirt - and promised a new dramatic video of what happened......
Wicked Salty? I just happened to see the tease vid last night. I stopped watching their stuff, after their Bahamas cruise, but that does get one's attention. Nevertheless, I was annoyed that it was just a tease that tried to sell a t-shirt and promise details in the future. They discovered Patreon, et al, near the end of their cruise and it seems to be a needle in the arm now.

Those kids were not the most knowledgeable sailors, but I thought that was fine, as they were very young and on a huge learning adventure. I'm not sure they spend enough time becoming knowledgeable. We'll see what happened, which perhaps could have happened to any of us. I certainly don't wish it on them.
mbianka likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #7 of 95 Old 10-06-2017

Let's see they left their thru hull open then a fitting/hose let go so they got water in their boat, then you see the girl talking to the insurance company. I don't feel sorry for that, I haven't given them money, but when I do give money it's not because I feel sorry for their mistakes, I give because the content is good and I like their story.

But I do say I think their shirt design is cool.

Bob
mbianka likes this.
post #8 of 95 Old 10-06-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking View Post
I enjoy sailing but I find "pure sailing" videos boring. I like the ones that are combinations of travel blogs with a mix of "this is how we do things on board" (provisioning, fixing things, issues they run into) and how the interaction between the people goes.

The best of them all for mine is RAN Sailing.
They know how to sail so you don't have these constant cringworthy cockups where we're supposed to feel sorry for these idiots who shouldn't be without adult supervision.
They are wonderful competent interesting adult Swedish humans who are nice people.
Sure it helps they are reasonably photogenic, but they make interesting videos with great shots, a storyline and fabulous backing music. And their underwater shots of dolphins around the boat are awesome, and no one else seems to do them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jfrede and wymbly1971 like this.
post #9 of 95 Old 10-06-2017

I too liked Wicked Salty watching them make some mistakes along the way as they finally made their goal of reaching the Bahamas with a pretty bare boat that he paid for himself by taking two jobs including waiting tables. Have not checked on them since they got the bigger boat.

I find La Vagabound tedious and uninteresting and sometimes too silly. S/V DELOS is much more interesting to me and one of the few I look forward to watch as they post videos. I also throw them a few bucks every once in awhile.

I'm noticing a bunch of new videos being posted by newbies that I find a waste of my time. Some seem to put up the Pateron banner before they have even left the dock. I'll stick with S/V Delos and Drake Paragon videos to entertain me in the off season. I've no time for most of the new drama queens starting up.

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

post #10 of 95 Old 10-06-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdy View Post
Saw where there was one in the Caribbean that sailed north back into the path of Irma - they lost the boat and then went to a fundme sight to get a new boat.

Another one where they are repairing a Freedom 32 I believe - their boat just sank - they made an announcement on their FB page and then pimped a limited edition t-shirt - and promised a new dramatic video of what happened. While it might be perfectly innocent and through no fault of their own the boat sank - it just leaves you wondering a bit - are there too many video bloggers out there - you have to be more dramatic than the next guy to get people to watch and support?

Maybe chicks in bikini's and thongs are starting too saturate the market and and a new marketing ploy must be rolled out to keep the eyeballs. Possibly a sinking boat with lots of women in bikinis and thongs going down while boat is being circled by a shark.
I think that Wes and Kate (Wicked Salty) are good kids just trying to pursue their dream. I always liked their enthusiasm (even if many of their learnings were obvious to the rest of us). I enjoyed their videos with the old boat, and was looking forward to their new videos. I thinks it's absurd and cold-hearted to suggest that they sunk their boat on purpose to get clicks. Where's your sympathy for your fellow sailor? The T-shirt sale is a little tacky, but if I had lost my entire boat, along with the contents which likely were not fully insured, and had a following like they do, I probably would do the same thing they are. FYI, the guy operating the tender taking them out to their sinking vessel is a good friend from college. He owns the Merit 25 that they raced on the past couple of years while they were between boats.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in