2017 Sailboat show - SailNet Community
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2017 Thread Starter
Above 5 knots

Dock
2017 Sailboat show

I was digging across the forum topics, and I must have missed it... but I didn't see anyone posting about the 2017 Annapolis Sailboat show. I've always talked about going, and could never justify looking at tons of boats I can never afford but as my wife said, it really doesn't hurt to window shop sometimes.

So we went. Great people putting on the show, the layout was quite good, and sales/marketing types are collecting way to much information for my comfort, but I suppose that has always been the case.

I actually did have a mission, I wanted to see/touch a couple boats when I went... you'll laugh... the Seascape 27 and the Seaward (island packet) 26 RK.

Of course we climbed on much bigger boats too.
Dufour

I also had to get my wife on a Beneteau 31, so she could see exactly how "small" it is. If I were buying for larger water, it would likely be on my radar... we were supposed to be with BVI Yacht charters for 11 days on a Beneteau 31, however, I understand the boat is "no longer available." God bless them they are bouncing back, and working, but their fleet is much "newer" than it used to be. Good people... Anyway.

This is the boat that brought me to the show... The Seaward (IP?) 26RK has intrigued me for quite some time. This boat is trailerable, shiply (inboard, wheel steering, roller furler, lazy jacks, enclosed head, etc)... she's a pretty boat for her size of 26 feet too.

The seascape 27 also intrigued me... as I've always been on faster boats since I bought my first keelboat. Fast is kind of my thing, but I'm slowing down and liking "easier." The seascape is roller furling, lazy jacks.. an outboard well, sprit, and looks like a real head. its still a bare bones racer, but seems like a nice boat.

I'm not sure I like the seascape. It looks like an awesome racer, but the build quality is all about light. I know it's supposed to be that way. I don't like the outboard at all, in that size you'd think an inboard saildrive you'd think would be a better choice. The 9.8hp tohatsu looks wedged into the well as it is. I know the FT 10 does the same thing, but wedging an outboard in that space still means when something goes wrong you gotta haul it out of there. Diesels, generally, are more reliable and require less "service." Still a really nice boat. I bet it screams.

The trailer sailor guys would like this boat a lot.... Malbec 18. Looks like a great learning trailer sailor...

You know, this is a show all about sailors and sailboats.. you'd think the bar would be at the ENTRANCE... well it kind of was, but geesh I had to walk like 100 feet.. that's just wrong. Maybe the tickets should include 2 complimentary bar tickets of the drink of your choice... This was after we visited the Pussers bar, and had a couple Dark and Stormy's. This was our more local flavor choices... Appletini for the wife, and a Yuengling Lager for me... yep, I'm from PA, this is our LOCAL flavor beer (you folks all over the country think its a damned micro-brew )

Oh and just another new Bennie I'll never be able to afford, but is nonetheless beautiful...

MINI MOO, a 1983 Wavelength 24 - she's a fast cow!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Above 5 knots

Dock
Re: 2017 Sailboat show

We breezed through the whole show way to quickly, and I found everyone awesome, including the owners that suffered many people crawling over their boats in the brokerage cove and frankly the NEW owners whose boats were purchased at the show, and suffered many people shuffling all over their boats after they purchased Thanks if any of you are those people!

Wish we could have spent more time there. Parking was tough, but we took my Miata to get there, and I swear I could park that thing in a shoebox... so it all worked out... we were about 1 block from the entrance. Weather was warm, at 84 degrees, and sunny. Breeze was up too, probably 15 knots steady.

Long drive to get there and back... 4 hours down and 4 back. I'd do it again, but maybe plan a stayover to take more time, and be there during the week.

Old 10-08-2017

Nice report.. thanks.

What I find interesting about these kinds of shows is that (more often than one might think) I tend to come away with the feeling that the boat we have (and is paid for) is 'not so bad'. Many of the newer boats, while 'large and roomy' below, lack much of any kind of fundamental storage, many no longer look like boats below, some designed from the inside out, and on it goes.

Of course, the above could simply be rationalization due to the lack of affordability of what we see there.

But I do like a lot of things about our current boat.....

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Above 5 knots

Dock

I dunno, I find there is very little that can be done in the smaller space to improve on it... Generally I like that most builders have embraced the larger more open designs, as opposed to trying to create "cabins."

The larger "yachts" give much more room to "play" with design.

What I find interesting is there is a huge size gap... from 25 feet to 31 feet, there is VERY little boats in that space.

To me, the market should be ripe for an affordable, trailerable racer/cruiser. The Seascape just is too much race... the Seaward is to much cruiser... But the Catalina 275 seemed to have been a dud too. But then it LOOKS like a sport boat, but rates like a Catalina 27, so it kind of failed.

I suppose there just isn't the income to support it (or rather buyers).

I can/could buy new, and honestly if they offered more like $15k off one of these $115k boats... I might have been apt to bite. Or even if they rolled in some options worth that much... I dunno.

Old 10-08-2017

I'm thinking of driving down tomorrow. Did anyone have inflatable dinghies on display? I hear that sometimes they give great deals rather than haul them back, so I might take advantage if I find a lightweight one the meets my needs.

I'm also interested in the Navisafe LED dinghy lights, whether for my current dinghy or the new one? Did any have a price competitive with Hodges Marine's online prices.

I also would like to modify my mainsail with second reef points, so will be talking to the lofts.

If any of you have any recommendations, please post here by Monday morning.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
Old 10-09-2017

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I'm thinking of driving down tomorrow. Did anyone have inflatable dinghies on display? I hear that sometimes they give great deals rather than haul them back, so I might take advantage if I find a lightweight one the meets my needs.

I'm also interested in the Navisafe LED dinghy lights, whether for my current dinghy or the new one? Did any have a price competitive with Hodges Marine's online prices.

I also would like to modify my mainsail with second reef points, so will be talking to the lofts.

If any of you have any recommendations, please post here by Monday morning.
In past years MERCury and a few others had deals on dinghies , bigger ones with engine included but I know you just bought an engine.

I found that in the winter many inflatables go on deep sales as well . As far as taking dinghies Home, many stay because of the power boat sale this weekend.

Also all dinghies are not alike. I found the show a good place to look at them and compare in person. Some look great, but the lifting points, not great. I would use the show as a place to narrow down your choice/ brand then wait for it to go on sale. In the winter Baltimore has an indoor boat show ... mainly powerboats, but I found the dinghy I wanted there at a greatly reduced price.

Do your research and narrow down your choices as youíll keep it for many years so itís worthwhile to get all the features you want.

Also figure a way to cover it. Our Walker Bay is 10 years old and looks brand new. Has 4 lifting points, lots of handles etc. we wanted a box truck dinghy which was dry ( large tibes ) and can hold 1100 lbs but is only 9-10 feet. Solid transome, sir floor but can be deflated and rolled up so easy to transport to and from the boat, or can also be deflated and put on the foredeck for long ocean trips etc. itís my only worry about our next dinghy being a RIB.

Again... not all dinghies are created equal . Nor are itís uses for your needs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner
Old 10-09-2017

Quote:

I've heard for years that you can get good deals at the boat show, particularly on gear, but when I look at the "boat show price" for anything that I've done some pricing on, doesn't really strike me as such a big discount. I'm always looking for that killer deal, but I never see it. Anybody else have different experience?
Old 10-09-2017

[QUOTE=wingman10;2051238449]
Quote:
I hear that sometimes they give great deals rather than haul them back, so I might take advantage

I've heard for years that you can get good deals at the boat show, particularly on gear, but when I look at the "boat show price" for anything that I've done some pricing on, doesn't really strike me as such a big discount. I'm always looking for that killer deal, but I never see it. Anybody else have different experience?
Yep..picked up a great deal on the Fatty Knee dingy boat show display..including all the options to include dropping it off at my Marina..
Old 10-09-2017

[quote=aa3jy;2051238481]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman10 View Post
Yep..picked up a great deal on the Fatty Knee dingy boat show display..including all the options to include dropping it off at my Marina..
ok, how about some numbers...
Old 10-09-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman10 View Post
I basically agree that really great deals are few and far between and (with the exception of deals on floor models displayed at the show) one can usually get any boat show discounts by calling or visiting the website of the vendor. A vendor used to show up with Honda generators at a good price, but now that Home Depot and Amazon sell them, you can get the price that used to be considered a "good deal" any day. For electronics, better deals seem to pop up later in the fall and early winter. For other gear, Presidents day through mid-April seems to be ripe for good deals.

For anyone going today, it's certainly going to be "real" boat show weather. Don't forget your foulies. Should be fun watching the breakdown this afternoon too if the winds stay up as high as they are now - bumper boats.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in