I've been sailing my beloved Tartan 37 since 2004, but now a full time liveaboard and kids getting in to their teen years...with plans to go cruising for extended periods (3 - 6 months at a time). I'm starting to research what my next sailboat could be?
I expect this to be the start of a long journey to choose that next boat... find her in the next year or two.
Here are some of my initial thoughts:
- not set on a center or aft cockpit, but either should at least have two private berths and maybe two heads
- good sail plan for light wind but able to reef well = cutter rig sloop is my first thought
- no slug, I don't need nor want a racer, but I don't want a slow cruiser
- must have a swim platform
- 5 to 6 foot draft, centerboard fun keel okay
- 39 - 44 feet primarily for sea motion comfort and stowage for three people females and a drawer for me
- Budgeting $150 - $175k leaving $25k for MY upgrades
- condition of boat more important than age... I want close to that 2% boat, no extensive project boats.
Some that I like as I've started looking...
Caliber 40 ish