Rimas is alive and made it to guam - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 46 Old 10-18-2017

Re: Rimas is alive and made it to guam

From NPR:

Man Found After 137 Days Adrift In Sailboat. And It's Not His First Rescue

Quote:
He has gained a reputation among sailing aficionados many of whom follow him on social media for his unique style of cruising. On multiple voyages across big stretches of ocean, he doesn't so much sail as he drifts

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 46 Old 10-21-2017
Fortuitous

The helicopter pilot who attempted to rescue him commented on my boat log. Worth a read, I think. It really puts the whole "docking by mayday" thing into perspective.

https://sailingfortuitous.com/rimas-rescue/

My Boat Log, or "blog" if you will:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 46 Old 10-21-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip View Post
The helicopter pilot who attempted to rescue him commented on my boat log. Worth a read, I think. It really puts the whole "docking by mayday" thing into perspective.

https://sailingfortuitous.com/rimas-rescue/
Hats of to Heli Crew who went out to respond Rima's Mayday call. Especially the rescue swimmer who risked his life twice. Rima sounds like he depends on the kindness of American taxpayers to be his own personal TOW Boat U.S.
davidpm likes this.

Mike
Currently: Spring Outfitting

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #24 of 46 Old 10-21-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip View Post
"docking by mayday"
Laughed out loud!

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #25 of 46 Old 10-24-2017
Kynntana (Freedom 38)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereYouAre View Post
Rimas is leading me to believe that I'm taking learning to sail much too seriously.
This also made me laugh! His madcap sailing 'adventures' have made me wonder (definitely more than once) why I spend so much time and money beefing up the boat for ocean cruising/racing. However, there is something to be said for getting to a destination in weeks rather than months....
post #26 of 46 Old 10-25-2017
Captain Obvious

Also, you actually have a destination. Rimas just ends up on land wherever the wind and current take him.

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger
post #27 of 46 Old 10-25-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
Also, you actually have a destination. Rimas just ends up on land wherever the wind and current take him.
Although, he always seems to end up where civilized rescue/tow is available. I'm calling BS on the Rimas thing. I think he's scamming folks, at least to some degree.
aeventyr60 likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #28 of 46 Old 10-25-2017
Captain Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Although, he always seems to end up where civilized rescue/tow is available. I'm calling BS on the Rimas thing. I think he's scamming folks, at least to some degree.
If it is a scam to drift on a derelict boat eating crackers and pickled beets for the amusement of others - its not a great one.

If I had to guess, I'd say its a combination of he's is caught up in his little bit of fame as a guy sailing the world and he's hoping to go out in a blaze of glory rather than in a hospital bed.

He isn't totally crazy because on some level he obviously knows he isn't going to sail anywhere because he brings enough food and water for 4 months. He gets a kick out of TV interviews and facebook followers. They are the ones sponsoring this nonsense.

I'd like to see him quit, but from his perspective, what would he do? Languish in a run down medicare nursing home where people crap their pants every day? Maybe this is a type of sailing suicide? If so, then I see the logic.

One thing we can probably all agree on is - the hell with the nursing home! I'd probably rather his way. Or go skydiving and just forget to pull the chute.
hpeer and RegisteredUser like this.

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger
post #29 of 46 Old 10-25-2017
Administrator

To me there is nothing funny about Rimas. Whether or not this guy is a fraud, whether or not his own life is at risk to the extent it sounds like it may be, he is none the less putting others at risk by his stunts and costing innocent tax payers money to rescue him. People like him create or contribute to the general public's bad impression of amateur sailors. These kinds of reckless persona's can and do lead to onerous laws and regulations, fees and restrictions that negatively impact responsible sailors who do not intentionally create the need for rescue services.

This is a very real thing. In Europe a friend of mine had his Contessa chained to a dock to prevent him from sailing her back to England by French authorities who deemed the boat unseaworthy because it lacked what they considered a proper ocean passage rating. This was done despite the fact that the owner and this boat had crossed the English Channel on a bunch of times and had cruised much of the northern European Coast. Similarly, New Zealand had (I don't know if they still have it) a big fee for entering New Zealand by yacht which was supposed to defray the cost of rescues after a particularly expensive period during which they had rescued a large number of foreign yachts. They also were retaining yachts from leaving unless they could pass a safety inspection.

At the heart of this is the fact that with increasing numbers, people who are incompetent are taking to the sea without taking the time to develop the skills to safely do so, and doing so in boats that arguably are not particularly well suited for that purpose. From the beginning of small boat distance cruisers there have been people doing this kind of thing. Some for notoriety and some simply to go. But in earlier times, the numbers were small, they did not expect to be plucked from the sea if they failed, and they did not have global communications to symbiotically egg them on, create a persona to live up to, and/or create an instant audience for whatever ill-reasoned prank they may chose to pull.

Jeff
davidpm, aeventyr60 and Deina like this.

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #30 of 46 Old 10-25-2017

This guy is a blight on US out here..Followers be damned!

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in