Rimas is alive and made it to guam - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 46 Old 10-25-2017

Re: Rimas is alive and made it to guam

Our world is changing. Over the centuries countless boats we would now consider unseaworthy made countless voyages, there were no rescue services, many were lost.

In some silly way Rimias is a spirit of freedom, except he abuses the rescue bit. We met a long distance couple not much different from him. They were frightening but gave us spirit to go forth.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 46 Old 10-25-2017
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Our world is changing. Over the centuries countless boats we would now consider unseaworthy made countless voyages, there were no rescue services, many were lost.

In some silly way Rimias is a spirit of freedom, except he abuses the rescue bit. We met a long distance couple not much different from him. They were frightening but gave us spirit to go forth.
I agree that "Over the centuries countless boats we would now consider unseaworthy made countless voyages", but there is difference between the heart of that statement and the internet fueled nuisances like Rimas.

I have told this story before, but back in the early 1970's I was restoring a 1949 Folkboat on the hard in Miami, and a fellow hauled out near me who had a plywood boat with a cast concrete keel that he had sailed all the way from Australia. That boat was a wreck, with holes patched with pieces of plywood ring-nailed to the topsides, with standing rigging pieced together from scraps and wire clamps. sails that were patched with salvaged sail cloth and so on. But he had sailed 3/4 of the way around the world.

He did not brag about the trip, he just lived it. If he talked about where he had been, it was with the deadpan of Sgt Friday's "Just the facts Ma'am." and was only mentioned as a side note in some story he was telling.

This guy went to sea solely because he the wished to do so. He was self-reliant and a heck of a skilled seaman. He got by doing everything simply as possible, doing what he could to honestly get spending money, and enjoying whatever life threw at him. He had the attitude that he had survived getting hit by machine gun fire in WW II so he was already living on borrowed time, and that getting lost at sea would sure beat working a 9 to 5 job and dying on your sofa any time.

For better or worse, he was inspirational in his strength of character, joy of life, stoicism, and resourcefulness, and was impressive for all that he had accomplished. Yet as a 23 year old kid, I also felt sad for him because the condition of this boat suggested he was nearing the end of his voyage and that few epic passages were left in the old boat before before he had to either quit or go missing at sea. And he knew that.

But to me that is different than the sense of 'all for the roar of the crowd', and sense of entitlement in expecting a tow at the end of a passage that seems implicit in the article and comments on Rimas.

Jeff
chall03 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #33 of 46 Old 10-25-2017
Fortuitous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
He did not brag about the trip, he just lived it.
You mean he didn't spell it out in crappy stickers on his boat? How did he ever collect enough donations to get towed out of the harbor?
Attached Thumbnails
capture.png  
Minnesail likes this.

My Boat Log, or "blog" if you will:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #34 of 46 Old 10-25-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
If it is a scam to drift on a derelict boat eating crackers and pickled beets for the amusement of others - its not a great one.

If I had to guess, I'd say its a combination of he's is caught up in his little bit of fame as a guy sailing the world and he's hoping to go out in a blaze of glory rather than in a hospital bed.

He isn't totally crazy because on some level he obviously knows he isn't going to sail anywhere because he brings enough food and water for 4 months. He gets a kick out of TV interviews and facebook followers. They are the ones sponsoring this nonsense.
Admittedly, I don’t fully follow this dope. I’m going to throw out there that he may not actually be adrift as he claims. Did I read that he arrived with his rig in tact, but a faulty rudder? Yet, he still managed to show up within reach of the USCG? Something doesn’t add up. I would not be surprised there was a rendezvous and layover or something and going offline was just to get attention. It worked.

Still, you are right, his scam is not a great one, but I understand he gets handouts to support it.

Quote:
I'd like to see him quit, but from his perspective, what would he do? Languish in a run down medicare nursing home where people crap their pants every day? Maybe this is a type of sailing suicide? If so, then I see the logic.

One thing we can probably all agree on is - the hell with the nursing home! I'd probably rather his way. Or go skydiving and just forget to pull the chute.
Most of us would say the same thing, while bellied up to the bar and pounding our chests. In reality, before modern medicine, most people horribly suffered to death. One may gasp for air for months or be in excruciating pain.

If you’re going to do it, forgetting to pull the chute is a better idea then spending your final days suffering alone in the middle of the ocean. It would probably get this thread banned to off topic, if we went to the legalization of self administered euthanasia. Most oppose it. However, the default program in the US is to wait until you are too uncomfortable, then pump you full of morphine, so you can’t feel a thing, although, the morphine explicitly kills you. We’re all whacked.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #35 of 46 Old 10-25-2017

Sadly, I do follow him. Like a car crash, I can't look away.

I don't think it's a scam. Before he had a Facebook fan club and a funding website he drifted to Alaska where he hard grounded his first San Juan 24 and had to be rescued.

Whether he would still be doing it without his fan club egging him on is a good question, but it was certainly in his nature to go drifting in unsuitable small boats before they started.

His poor English, lack of sailing knowledge, and propensity to exaggerate make all of his posts and claims suspect. He says the mast is damaged. Maybe he means a halyard is jammed? He says the tiller is broken. Maybe he's just drifting with the current so the tiller would have no effect? When his tracker was working many times the speeds it reported would be inline with no sails up, just bobbing with the flow.

If he would just learn to sail AT ALL. Even a little bit. He's never shown he can go upwind, he's never shown he can make a port.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #36 of 46 Old 10-25-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
Sadly, I do follow him. Like a car crash, I can't look away.

I don't think it's a scam. Before he had a Facebook fan club and a funding website he drifted to Alaska where he hard grounded his first San Juan 24 and had to be rescued.

Whether he would still be doing it without his fan club egging him on is a good question, but it was certainly in his nature to go drifting in unsuitable small boats before they started.

His poor English, lack of sailing knowledge, and propensity to exaggerate make all of his posts and claims suspect. He says the mast is damaged. Maybe he means a halyard is jammed? He says the tiller is broken. Maybe he's just drifting with the current so the tiller would have no effect? When his tracker was working many times the speeds it reported would be inline with no sails up, just bobbing with the flow.

If he would just learn to sail AT ALL. Even a little bit. He's never shown he can go upwind, he's never shown he can make a port.

Sailboats can go to windward? Who knew?? Certainly not Rimas.

I remain impressed that he made it from the Baja to Hilo in a San Juan 24, with half his standing rigging gone. But after that, not so much. What I do remain impressed by is his outright luck, despite all the things about sailing he has not sought to learn.
post #37 of 46 Old 10-25-2017

I don't know this guy or his story.
Seems like nobody 'really' knows him. Again, 'really'.
Crazy bloke....taking from others....loved...vilified...doesn't know squat..etc, all over the board..

Assumptions are free.
He's renting free space in your mind....

Let him wing it as long as he can. Why not?
post #38 of 46 Old 10-26-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
.......Why not?
I don't really care about this dude's story, it's a yawner. Bottles float across oceans. If the stories are legit, which I still question in their entirety, I could be sympathetic that he has serious mental disease of some form. However, there are a couple of answers to your question, if anyone were to care about him.

1. He may encourage someone else to be as lax.

2. He may (odds are way above average) require rescue in more severe conditions that risk the lives of his responders.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #39 of 46 Old 10-27-2017

The problem is the world's government's compulsion with believing that every human fool deserves rescue. We have the same problem in the mountains, some fool decides to go mountain climbing in October on a sunny day wearing sandals, shorts, a protein bar, and a bottle of water and then are totally surprised when the weather changes or they cannot find the way back to their car. The taxpayers are on the hook for the rescue, which usually involves a lot of people, vehicles, and the occasional helicopter. If you have poor judgement you should either pay for your own bad decision or be removed from the genetic pool. Sounds harsh but sadly is true.
post #40 of 46 Old 10-28-2017
Kynntana (Freedom 38)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Mountain Breeze View Post
If you have poor judgement you should either pay for your own bad decision or be removed from the genetic pool. Sounds harsh but sadly is true.
I don't agree with Rimas' irresponsibility, but who would be The Decider who determines which person used poor judgement and should be taken out of the gene pool? And what if they have taken a child with them? There are still plenty of Darwin Awards to hand out each year, but I don't think any rescuer would say, "just let them die." On the other hand, it is considered prudent these days to hold back a rescue attempt if conditions are so bad that they might put the rescuers' safety at risk. A civilized society pays (as a whole) for many things that might benefit only a few. But if you're one of those few, you'll be happy they're not making a judgement call as to whether you should live or die based on a poor decision.
Minnesail likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in