Shippers - Recommendations Needed - SailNet Community
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Faster

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 10-30-2017 Thread Starter

Shippers - Recommendations Needed

Hey All,

Our plans for moving south just accelerated by six months so I'm hustling to pull things together.

I need some recommendations for shippers to take my boat from Southern New Jersey to Miami in December/January.

I'm looking for recommendations for shippers from people who've used them personally. I've heard a LOT of horror stories about using services like UShip and getting random drivers who may or may not know how to handle sailboats (or even be properly insured). And before someone suggests it, given the time of year taking her down the ICW isn't a good option.

The boat is a 1995 Catalina 30, 3'10" draft, 10'10" beam.
Pickup from Forked River on Barnegat Bay
Drop off at a Miami marina TBD

I'll sail the boat down to her new home in Marathon from there over a three day weekend.

I also need to figure out a marina in the Miami/Ft Lauderdale area that's DIY friendly, where I can hole up for a weekend or two before heading out.

I do realize I'll save a few bucks if the shipper has a back haul (not likely this time of year). I know I'll save about a grand if I send it down in the spring, but it will cost about the same to store it on the hard in Jersey. Since it looks like the $$ will be a wash I'd rather have the boat with me in the Keys

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
Jim

Currently Boatless

The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective." - Henry David Thoreau

Last edited by JimMcGee; 10-31-2017 at 10:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-30-2017

Location: Central New Jersey, sailing on the Navesink River and Sandy Hook Bay mostly.

Re: Shippers - Recommendations Needed

I've used Dave at All Aboard Marine Transport several times, he is reliable. Most of my moves were short distances, although he specializes in long distance moves.

All Aboard Marine Transport llc Give him a call, e-mail not so much.
Toms River, NJ 08754, USA
732-270-4848
[email protected]
Lou
post #3 of 6 Old 10-30-2017
Master Mariner

What is wrong with using the ICW that time of the year? It rarely ices up! I've run the ditch in the dead of winter in storms and fronts and the weather hasn't caused us a bit of trouble. [B]Outside[B], on the other hand, well that's a different story.
As for delivering your boat, which is what I assume you mean, your best skippers will be found through a reputable yacht broker. They keep a stable of well vetted, qualified and capable delivery skippers for their customers. Expect to pay good money for a good skipper, though.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

post #4 of 6 Old 10-30-2017

Cross Country Boat Transport moved my PSC 34 from Lake Superior to Lake Erie. These guys are based in the Great Lakes region, but I think they cover the entire country. They did a great job for me. Communication was good and the driver stayed in touch with me during the trip.

-- Bill
Belle Voile
PSC 34
post #5 of 6 Old 10-30-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
As for delivering your boat, which is what I assume you mean, your best skippers will be found through a reputable yacht broker. .....
Actually Capta, I got the impression Jim wants to truck the boat south...
JimMcGee and capta like this.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #6 of 6 Old 10-30-2017

I used GA Norman Marine Services from Maryland to FL . They know what they are doing and are insured . Also call around a lot of times you might get a deal if they have some thing to pick up or drop off. They don't like the truck empty so an 8k transport might cost you half. good luck...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in