rod rigging - SailNet Community
 8Likes
  • 1 Post By Waterrat
  • 1 Post By fallard

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 11-03-2017 Thread Starter

Re: rod rigging

You can get rod without to much hassle. Hayn marine Hayn Enterprises: Stainless Steel Cable Hardware is one place that you can get a quote for replacement. By the time you buy all the cups and ends to convert to wire or Dyneema your just as well off with the rod the rig was designed for and good for another 15yrs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
May you weather all storms
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-03-2017

I had my 1990 C&C 34+ with continuous rod rigging (double spreader rig) partially rerigged 3 years ago immediately after I bought it. It had been a Great Lakes boat its whole life but I was still leary to trust 24 year old standing rigging even there was no signs of degradation at all.

After discussing it with my rigger, who did the job with BSI rod, here's what we did:

* All new headstay (critical bit of the rig, hidden under and stressed by the furler)
* All new uppers
* Reheaded the lower ends of intermediate and lower diagonals, and backstay
* All new turnbuckles.

This was most of the work; within a few more years I'll have the D1s, D2s, and backstay remade entirely. But for now I trust the rig and feel like it was (alot of) money well spent.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
C&C 34+
C&C 26
Catalina Capri 18

Check out our Youtube channel!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-03-2017

All sailboat rigging should have visual indicators so you can read their condition.

It's green = cat 5+ ready
Yellow = good to go for family sail-about weekend adventure
Red = do you have a will?

It's the unknowns...
We don't really know, but we are addicted to 'improving on the present'...

post #4 of 9 Old 11-03-2017

Can't send PM, don't have enough posts, sorry,
may be you can send PM to me ?

I will appreciate it very much..

Vlad
post #5 of 9 Old 11-04-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
Maybe I am missing something here, but I do not see how you are saying that (unless you are talking by weight).

Otherwise, 3/8" rod rigging has a breaking strength around 25,500 lbs. and or 10mm Dyform wire rigging around 21,800 lbs, while 11 mm Dynice Dux (which is slightly larger) has a breaking strength around 11,600 lbs. You are up around 13mm to get close to the same strength.

Dux has a 3% stretch at 100% breaking strength, and depending on the online source it appears that rod rigging has a little over 3% stretch and Dyform just over 4%. which given the much higher breaking strength of the Dyform, the Dyform equates to roughly an equal stretch for an equal diameter when equally loaded with the Dux. Rod rigging would have the least amount of stretch of the three for the same diameter. On the other hand, there is no doubt that Dux is lighter for the same strength and stretch.
Jeff
Jeff I am basing my assessment on the information contained on this page. Dux Fundamentals ? Colligo Marine®

I have never used anything other then 1-19 wire. I have found the discussion/ comparison between wire, synthetic, and rod interesting. Colligo marine recommends 2-5 times the breaking strength of the wire it is replacing in order to reduce stretch. That probably does not correlate with rod or compact 1-19/ Dyform. There are pros and cons to all of the above. One of the significant pros to the synthetic is that it is easily inspected. There is no crack in the rod heads then can only be inspected through a destructive process. What ever allows the skipper to sleep on the off watch works for me.
davidpm likes this.
post #6 of 9 Old 11-04-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterrat View Post
One of the significant pros to the synthetic is that it is easily inspected. There is no crack in the rod heads then can only be inspected through a destructive process. What ever allows the skipper to sleep on the off watch works for me.
Not an expert, but I witnessed a friends boat having its rod rigging reheaded before I decided to replace my rod. Talking to the riggers, I learned that what they were looking for was wear on the heads—not cracks. I hadn’t realized that the heads were able to move within the terminations, thereby wearing down the metal over a period of time.

My friends boat was 15 yrs old and he was preparing for a multi-year cruise, so he wanted assurance. As it turns out, only one or two of the heads were significantly worn on his 43’ boat. Since my boat was pushing 22 years at that time, I thought it prudent to replace the rod, as the material cost was not that bad and I had reservations about the residual effects on the composition of the alloy after having a direct lighting strike. My rigger was neutral about the need for a replacement, so I did it for peace of mind. As I remember, there turned out to be no issues with the old rod (without doing a metallurgical analysis), but I feel better—both awake and asleep!
davidpm likes this.
post #7 of 9 Old 11-04-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallard View Post
I had the Navtec rod on my 35’, double spreader rig replaced when it was 22 years old on a precautionary basis. Those fittings that were reusable were saved. It cost about $2500 and was done at my dock by a qualified rigging service based in Essex, CT. If you take the rig down and ship it to a Navtec-qualified rigger, that would add significant costs. I hadn’t thought about it, but having it done at a private dock probably saved the marina surcharge normally charged for outside contractor work.
Hard to figure these numbers. One person said about 14k and you are under 3k.

Did your number include rod, fittings and labor.

Just trying to figure out what the story is. Would you mind PM'ing me the rigger in Essex. It is not too far from me.

The lesson from the Icarus story is not about human failing.
It is a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive.
If you have an engineering problem solve it.
post #8 of 9 Old 11-05-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
Hard to figure these numbers. One person said about 14k and you are under 3k.

Did your number include rod, fittings and labor.

Just trying to figure out what the story is. Would you mind PM'ing me the rigger in Essex. It is not too far from me.
As indicated in my PM, I checked my invoice from Sound Rigging and the rod replacement cost a total of $2575, including tax in 2012.
The Following User Says Thank You to fallard For This Useful Post:
davidpm (11-05-2017)
post #9 of 9 Old 11-05-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
Maybe I am missing something here, but I do not see how you are saying that (unless you are talking by weight).

Otherwise, 3/8" rod rigging has a breaking strength around 25,500 lbs. and or 10mm Dyform wire rigging around 21,800 lbs, while 11 mm Dynice Dux (which is slightly larger) has a breaking strength around 11,600 lbs. You are up around 13mm to get close to the same strength...
Sorry for the late reply, I must have blew by this.

Jeff, I don't know where you got your 11,600 lb breaking strength, but just to set the record straight, 11 mm Dynice Dux has a breaking strength of 16.6 metric tons, or 36,500 lbs.

Synthetic Rigged Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in