Drinking and sailing.... - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 30 Old 11-06-2017

Re: Drinking and sailing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
If I had my druthers I’d pick good beer any day ... An acceptable second is the bagged wine that comes in those 4 litre boxes. Easy to carry and store, and the bags are tough and can sit in our little fridge/freezer without taking up lots of room.
Wine in the freezer? You MUST be a beer guy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 Old 11-06-2017
Freedom isn't free

Dock

Wait, he picks box wine... and you say its the fact he is throwing it in the fridge makes him a beer guy?

Freedom, a 1983 C&C 32 sailing Smith Mountain Lake, VA
post #13 of 30 Old 11-06-2017
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingUphill View Post
Wait, he picks box wine... and you say its the fact he is throwing it in the fridge makes him a beer guy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
Wine in the freezer? You MUST be a beer guy
There goes my badge of sophistication I guess .

Yup, give me a good beer any day. But white wine in the freezer chills fast. And remember, alcohol doesn’t freeze till around -7C. Makes for great afternoon ice-cold spritzers.

Like I said, we don’t imbibe while underway. We sail as a duo. Seems unwise to have even one of us impaired. But once the anchor is down, and we are pretty sure we’re secure, the beer gets cracked.

On that note though, is it true that some American states don’t allow drinking on anchored recreational vessels? In Canada, an anchored vessel is treated the same as being moored or docked; it is considered ‘afixed to land.’ I think I’ve read that some US states do not treat anchoring the same as docking or mooring, and therefore do not allow drinking at all.

Is this true? If so, which states?

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 30 Old 11-06-2017
Land lubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
On that note though, is it true that some American states don’t allow drinking on anchored recreational vessels? In Canada, an anchored vessel is treated the same as being moored or docked; it is considered ‘afixed to land.’ I think I’ve read that some US states do not treat anchoring the same as docking or mooring, and therefore do not allow drinking at all.

Is this true? If so, which states?
In FL everyone but the operator of the vessel can be drinking, even under way.
post #15 of 30 Old 11-06-2017

Full Sail? Anchor Hocking? SO many wines, so many sea-inspired names. I guess it depends. I stay away from "swill"
post #16 of 30 Old 11-06-2017
Old as Dirt!

Considering that one needs one's wits about them at all times when underway, we do not permit drinking aboard at such times save for a single glass of wine or a beer with supper. When anchored up in a secure anchorage in settled weather we are less stringent on the matter but considering that one never knows when one may need to quit an anchorage on short notice, drinking to excess is not permitted. These policies have proven their worth over the years tho' they do keep some from sailing with us as we're considered "too strict". On the other hand, my daughter spent two weeks sailing with one of our in-law refusenic's on a charter in the BVI and upon her return commented that her "uncle Robbie" and his pal often got so sideways between anchorages that more than once she had to manage the yacht while they picked up a mooring and, on more than one occasion, fish an inebriated "adult" out of the water after he'd fallen overboard attempting to snag the mooring buoy. Accordingly, I'm grateful for his refusals, No?

FWIW...

PS: On the other hand, we do keep a store of "Full Sail" aboard for the supper beer while underway; Anchor Steam Beer for (of course) when we're anchored up; and, Harpoon for consumption when on fishing expeditions!

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Last edited by svHyLyte; 11-06-2017 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Add Post Script.
The Following User Says Thank You to svHyLyte For This Useful Post:
Debra Giannini (11-06-2017)
post #17 of 30 Old 11-06-2017

Good reply, svHyLyte, as one never wishes to encourage risk-taking, and reasonable advice: food with drink in moderation
post #18 of 30 Old 11-06-2017

We allow drinking onboard while underway and at port (anchored or docked), it's never been a problem. Everyone runs their yacht differently.
capttb and MarkofSeaLife like this.
post #19 of 30 Old 11-06-2017

When owned my first boat in the late 70's the culture was to never leave the dock sober. It didn't matter fishing or sailing at 3pm all would leave the dock for the afternoon cruise drunk.
Now that I've been a true sailor I drink anything your given away free back at the dock. It's sorta like the wind ya know.
Minnesail likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
May you weather all storms
post #20 of 30 Old 11-06-2017
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Ajax-
'The official birthdate of the US Navy is October 13th, 1775 despite the fact that it was known as the Continental Navy at the time."
Folks need to remember something that our schools in America generally tend to bury: The USofA is actually the *second* national government that was formed here. The first one should be celebrated for being a peaceful failure, that was disbanded and replaced without the need for force of arms.
The Continental Navy served the "Confederation", which is what the Colonies formed after evicting the British Crown. (Not to be confused with the later Confederacy.) Things didn't work out so well, so that was re-estalished as the Federal Republic of the United States of America, which is what the USN serves.
Our schools, being a government function, share our government's embarrassment at the fact that the first great experiment in democracy here, failed. Or perhaps they just can't see that it succeeded: No force of arms was necessary for the change, and that was pretty incredible in itself.
I don't begrudge the USN for fudging the numbers a bit.
MarkofSeaLife and CVAT like this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in