What knot is the Strongest? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 Old 11-08-2017 Thread Starter

Dock
Re: What knot is the Strongest?

Ok before you go co.pletely spare and chuck your girlfriend overboard, remember 12mm Dyneema had a breaking strain of 7,500 lbs... about the dusplaceme t of my boat

In other words for your volume to break it has to pull up half the weight of my boat.

Or pull bout 400 dinghies.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 Old 11-09-2017

Bowlines do slip!

I have read countless times that a bowline knot will not slip or fail. I had one slip when I was pulling on a 48 inch diameter standing ash tree that I couldn't back cut sufficiently because I only had a 20 inch bar. The rope was tied off to a 3/4 ton 4 wheel drive pickup and only failed after several tugs that stopped the truck dead in its tracks. The rope was a static climbing rope. I am still amazed that this knot held up under such stress for as long as it did. I tie my own safety lanyards with bowlines and seize the bitter end to the working part. Can't be too sure you know.
post #13 of 24 Old 11-09-2017

When I need to tie up to a piling, there is only one knot I have ever used...clove hitch finished off with a half knot. My dad taught me that when I was a kid 55 years ago. It has NEVER failed me...not even come close.
travlin-easy likes this.

Catalina 34

post #14 of 24 Old 11-09-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
the one used to tie off your child's umbilical cord when they are born, that knot lasts till death
Not always. Even though we thought we had it tied off securely, the umbilical cord between our youngest and my wife stayed connected until the child reached the age of 17, at which point the knot finally started working, inexplicably.
travlin-easy likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Here's to one of the best friends and companions I've ever had; the white GSD in my avatar. Passed away suddenly on Aug 14, 2017, at 9 1/2 years of age. We love and miss you, Mel, and we will be together again.
post #15 of 24 Old 11-18-2017

Very useful post, and info in the article was interesting. I wish they would have tested the zeppelin knot. I think it is as strong as if not stronger than the double fisherman's knot to bend two lines together. I know for a fact and from experience that it is easy to untie, unlike the double fisherman's. And it's easy to tie, especially using the 69 method, with the 6 over the nine.
sailordave likes this.
post #16 of 24 Old 11-18-2017

I love love love this approach. I read this article about a year ago and haven?t tied a Sheet bend since. Of course it raises more questions than it answers. Need to be able to untie knots too. After reading some other test to failure point articles my favorite bends are now as follows.

Zeppelin bend. Super strong and super easy to break. Plus you get the whole Hindenburg vibe.

Alpine butterfly bend. Very strong and you can teach a child to tie it correctly by shouting from the other end of the boat. Reasonably easy to break.

Ashley bend. My personal favorite. Like a symmetric version of alpine butterfly and a bit stronger as a result. Easy to break. Slightly harder to tie.

Carrick bend. Strong when you get the working ends diagonally opposite. Easy to break. Harder to tie. Makes you feel salty.

The round turn with two half hitches is good for certain things. I usually use the anchor hitch which is very similar but saltier. The thing is that neither of these knots do what a bowline does which is to create a fixed loop that can be untied. I?ve settled for a bowline with Yosemite finish for now but I?m still looking. This knot is great but can slip if not correctly equalized. Like the bowline itself.
SanderO and MarkofSeaLife like this.
post #17 of 24 Old 11-18-2017

The most interesting thing I noticed ...

3 strand seems to consistently lose less breaking strength when knotted (or spliced, for that matter) so even though the kernmantle ropes are rated stronger for a given diameter, the instant you tie a knot in them they are at ~50% of their rated strength. Whereas 3 strand retains ~75% of its strength.

Making me wonder ...
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
post #18 of 24 Old 11-18-2017

Thanks for posting this.

Although never really mentioned unless you do a Google search, is the actual breaking strengths of the two lines tested: 1/2" (12 mm) Marlow Braid 4450 KG; 10 mm Marlow D2 Racing 78 5360 KG.

As you can see by the results, the much stronger dyneema core Marlow D2 fared worse. D2 is a dyneema "core dependent" line, much like Samson's MLX, which is what I use on my own boat for running rigging. The primary function of the polyester cover on these types of line is uv protection, friction at the winch, at to a lesser extent "feel in the hand."

Dyneema doesn't like knots due to the tight bend radii, weakening it substantially. These core dependent lines also have a propensity to slip in their covers as noted in the tests. One should stay away from using knots with any dyneema line in general. Instead, use an eye splice (cover removed) around a thimble with shackle for things like halyards and main sheets, and soft shackles at the jib/genoa sheets.
SanderO and MarkofSeaLife like this.

Synthetic Rigged Wauquiez Pretorien 35
post #19 of 24 Old 11-18-2017 Thread Starter

Dock

Yes, exactly what I was gonna say but with less biglier words....:

Dyneema the cover fails not the core.
Stupid to pay the extra $$$ if your breaking strain is that much lessened.

So how do you fix it? Splice only?
RocketScience likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #20 of 24 Old 11-18-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Yes, exactly what I was gonna say but with less biglier words....:
Hahaha....

Quote:
...So how do you fix it? Splice only?
Yep, typically with the locking Brummel. The bury length needs to be at least 72 x the diameter of the line being used.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Synthetic Rigged Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Last edited by RocketScience; 11-18-2017 at 11:29 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in