Research project - SailNet Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 11-09-2017 Thread Starter

Post Research project

Dear all,

For a project we have to research sailing and creation of marine data. We came across this forum and we hope we can find some answers in this sailing community regarding lifestyle of sailors and marine research. Answering the questions will take approximately 5 minutes.

1. How does your daily life look like?
2. How do you manage social contact on the boat (during sailing)?
3. How long are sailing trips (to a specific location) typically in terms of duration?
4. What is your opinion about ocean pollution? Do you encounter this problem during sailing?
5. Do you have equipment on the boat which can measure ocean quality (such as sea temperature, salinity, PH, ...)? And yes, which equipment do you have?
6. Do you or would you like to measure the ocean quality on a frequent basis (daily or weekly)?
7. How often do you have internet connection? Do you consider this connection as expensive?
8. How strong is this connection (bandwidth)? Are you able to send photos and videos?
9. Which devices do you work with (e.g. laptop, mobile phone)?

Thanks in advance,
marineproject
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-09-2017

Re: Research project

Welcome, but who is "we"?

I'm not even sure what some of your questions are asking.

I'm opposed to ocean pollution, but haven't seen a ton of it. I know it exists. I use an iPad. My daily life? Social contact? Weird survey.
MikeOReilly and MarkofSeaLife like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #3 of 11 Old 11-09-2017

Undercurrent of political contamination.
Looking for recruits....
Skipper Jer likes this.

post #4 of 11 Old 11-09-2017

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by marineproject View Post

In a spiritual sense? Or, like, in a Facebook sense? I always edit my photos and enhance the colors. (Enhance the colors of me and degrade the colors of other people in the photos. Well, it's my Facebook page and my friends just really want to see me.)

Quote:
5. Do you have equipment on the boat which can measure ocean quality (such as sea temperature, salinity, PH, ...)?
Is water temperature a measure of water quality? Whats better warm or cool?
Salinity? Really is the oceans salinity a quality problem unit of measure?

Are you marine biologists or something? Or any sort of scientists? Grade schoolers?

I'm sure you mean well, but a bit more information may let us pitch our answers at the right level.

I'm thinking crayons on paper Vs Oxford University.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #5 of 11 Old 11-09-2017

Very well, where do I begin?

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet.

My father would womanize, he would drink, he would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Some times he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy, the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

My childhood was typical, summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds, pretty standard really. At the age of 12 I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen, a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum, it's breathtaking, I suggest you try it.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnesail For This Useful Post:
MarkofSeaLife (11-09-2017)
post #6 of 11 Old 11-09-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
My childhood was typical, summers in Rangoon, luge lessons......
OK, that's pretty darn good...
post #7 of 11 Old 11-11-2017
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by marineproject View Post
Dear all,

For a project we have to research sailing and creation of marine data. We came across this forum and we hope we can find some answers in this sailing community regarding lifestyle of sailors and marine research. Answering the questions will take approximately 5 minutes.

3. How long are sailing trips (to a specific location) typically in terms of duration?
4. What is your opinion about ocean pollution? Do you encounter this problem during sailing?
5. Do you have equipment on the boat which can measure ocean quality (such as sea temperature, salinity, PH, ...)? And yes, which equipment do you have?
6. Do you or would you like to measure the ocean quality on a frequent basis (daily or weekly)?
7. How often do you have internet connection? Do you consider this connection as expensive?
8. How strong is this connection (bandwidth)? Are you able to send photos and videos?
9. Which devices do you work with (e.g. laptop, mobile phone)?

Thanks in advance,
marineproject
Perhaps if you gave us a link to your project's site, we might be able to decipher your questions a bit better.
MikeOReilly and travlin-easy like this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Last edited by capta; 11-11-2017 at 05:38 PM.
post #8 of 11 Old 11-11-2017

Well for starters, its light most of the day unless there are storm clouds, then its dark and stormy.

I do face time, you know like talk to people, like look them in the eye, you know like verbalize.

I did 4 months once and as short as an hour.

The solution to pollution is dilution. Yea some times like I'm sailing along and FU%K there is a plastic bottle and I want to keel haul or use a cat of nine tails on the person who tossed it.
I've even reached into a whale's blow hole to remove a gold ball my friend hit from a beach. Now the whale follows me around like a puppy dog. I've even used him to pull me off a sand bar or two.

Well I use my toe and judge the temperature on how fast I pull my foot back.

How much money or carbon credits can I earn doing this work?

When I pull into a marina or find someone on shore who left there wireless unsecured. Do I consider it expensive? Look, the wind is free so yea internet is expensive.

What kind of videos and pictures do you want? People in their birthday suit??????

9. Which devices do you work with (e.g. laptop, mobile phone)? Cray 750, SDS 920, IBM 19.

" he would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark" Minnesail, your dad had nothing on me, I invented a word, plagiarism.

Nor'sea 27
Don't re-accommodate me, Bro
And the trees are all keep equal by hatchet, axe and saw...RUSH
I invented a new word today, plagiarism.
post #9 of 11 Old 11-11-2017

4. What is your opinion about ocean pollution?
I'm don't like it.

"Just call me TB"
post #10 of 11 Old 11-11-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper Jer View Post
Well I use my toe and judge the temperature on how fast I pull my foot back.......
Thank you for your reply.
There are two more online interviews in this process to become an Official World Ocean Savior.
If you are selected, you will be authorized to purchase Official World Ocean Savior gear.

Are you willing to use your little pinky toe for testing?

If you answer is no, you will not be able to purchase cool World Ocean Savior gear.

What is your answer?

Tags
data , research , sailing

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in