We should all help these poor ladies 🙄 - Page 21 - SailNet Community
 136Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #201 of 204 Old 12-20-2017
Learning the HARD way...

Re: We should all help these poor ladies 🙄

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Whenever I buy a used car, I’m required to have an authorized agent take picture of it, within X days. Similar in concept to a survey, they want to know the baseline. They know the condition of a new car. All cars are annual inspected by the states too.
I did have to send my insurer pictures of the vessel. Some pictures, however, is not a survey.

Regarding the analogy to a car, and I'm not trying to be argumentative but, nope. I have a 2001 Avalon I bought off eBay in 2011 that I keep in Florida. I have not sent any pictures of the car to my insurer (Liberty Mutual, now Progressive), and Florida does not require annual inspections. If you feel confident enough to drive it, you're good to go.

I had to send them pictures of my 2005 motorcycle (also bought through eBay in 2013) to document aftermarket equipment (crash bars, saddlebags, and windshield), but that is it. No annual inspections for the bike either.

My insurer stated that as long as I can provide receipts, the installed equipment (VHF, AIS, chart plotter, etc) is covered too.
Attached Thumbnails
20170330_163452.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #202 of 204 Old 12-20-2017

When I first bought coverage for my Oday 23, I used Progressive insurance. I had an agreed-to value for the boat on the policy ($5800, I think). Although the premiums went up marginally, the agreed-to value never changed. A few years later, I switched all of my insurance (home, autos, umbrella and boat) to AMICA. The value of the boat is now reduced every year at the policy renewal. Every year, I ask why the value of the boat is lower, and every year, they tell me "depreciation". When I remind them that the boat is close to forty years old and that it is really already fully depreciated by any conventional accounting rules, they will sometimes add back some value to the policy. But not always. Makes me a little crazy. If it weren't for the fact that the important part of the insurance for me is the liability section (which is unaffected by the hull value), I'd switch carriers again.
post #203 of 204 Old 12-21-2017

Fair enough. Not all States require inspections. However, if I were you, I would be pretty suspicious of an insurance company that does little to determine what they are insuring, at least the first time. Why would they not care? Perhaps they are among the carriers that make their bottom line by aggressively disputing claims. Perhaps the language in the contract has strict clauses the lay person doesn't notice or understand that severely limit their need to pay out. Perhaps the policy lists a hull value you think is fair, but the details say it's only in effect on Tuesdays, when there is a full moon (sarcasm). More realistically, they have cleverly written exclusions that void all coverage for loss due to incomplete maintenance or non-ABYC installations. These exclusions themselves are rarely explicit, but allow the carrier room to interpret for themselves. My hurricane haulout coverage says 50% on the declaration page. If you read the paragraph in the document, it's ridiculously vague. Many years ago, my carrier wanted me to sign a release, acknowledging they were not required to pay for a haulout, per the policy language, but would anyway, if I signed. I told them to pound salt and they ultimately paid out anyway. Be careful.

A good agent, that offers coverage through many different carriers, will review claims experience along side premiums. The best policy is almost never the cheapest. Another hundred bucks may buy fewer technical exclusions and a company that isn't known to hassle their claims. A lousy agent, will only sell the lowest premium amount or the carrier that pays them the most commission.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #204 of 204 Old 05-16-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
I've always empathized with Crowhurst. Like so many, even today, he went to sea with little idea of the realities and difficulties of such an endeavor, which had a disastrous cost.
However, the celestial navigation method he perfected became my standard, saving me hours of sight taking and reductions every day, on my circumnavigation. I will forever consider him my hero for that.
So, from your misfortune I gained a great deal; thank you Donald Crowhurst.
So you are a Practitioner of the Crowhurstian School of Navigation? Let's turn Crowhurstian into a positive phrase.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in