LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 204 Old 11-28-2017 Thread Starter

We should all help these poor ladies 🙄

https://www.gofundme.com/truth-in-media
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 204 Old 11-28-2017

Re: We should all help these poor ladies 🙄

Although this write-up seems clearer than some of the other information they provided (or were mis-quoted) it's lines like this that seem off:

"It was amazing to see people with zero ocean experience talk about whether or not I should have used the EPIRB. Do they know the use of an EPIRB without a sinking boat will most likely get you a fine, jail time and the guaranteed loss of the vessel? People I know have been put in jail, been fined and lost their boat for EPIRB calls that were not deemed true emergencies. Floating boats with food, water and limited navigational capacity are not maritime emergencies."

I understand not sounding an emergency unless it is one. But I would consider a disabled boat (but not sinking) wandering (but "not adrift") for that many miles and weeks\months would count as an emergency. I guess for them it "wasn't" an emergency, but most cruisers this would be. I also realize how important it is to not sound an EPIRB for frivolous reasons like running out of steak, but she seems to make a statement scaring people off from using their emergency equipment.

I see this in my work with new leaders on the ground. They hesitate to call for back up or air support for fear of it "not being bad enough...yet". Many times they should have indeed called for help sooner and now they are in a way worse way because of the delay. Again, I'm not saying sound an alarm willy-nilly, but people need to know reasonable trigger points to do so and not be scared off from using it until waterline is at their eyeballs.

Some youtube videos, nothing fancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 204 Old 11-28-2017
Learning the HARD way...

Rather than helping them scam people, we should work toward helping end their 15 minutes of fame.
Skipper Jer, pdqaltair and gdr like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

post #4 of 204 Old 11-28-2017
Banned

I'm not a fan of these two. And I fully understand that they are in this "negative fake news" gauntlet they are decrying precisely because they provided so much "fake news" themselves (which is usually how it works). But I also don't like dancing on graves. From an article 10 days ago...

Quote:
Their stories of huge storms and giant shark attacks are under question by expert boaters around the world. And their story has received so much attention that some of Appel’s family members in Texas don’t want her back home.
Now, who knows if even that quote is correct or if it was fed to the journalist by those two - but, sadly, I could see this being true. The thing is, it's clear that these two seem caught in a vicious circle of their own making - not "the media's". And that's really sad to me. It's very Crowhurstian.

These ladies just need to stop seeking the attention and go back to a simple, honest life. I hope they do that.
chall03, zeehag, jongleur and 1 others like this.
post #5 of 204 Old 11-28-2017
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
These ladies just need to stop seeking the attention and go back to a simple, honest life. I hope they do that.
Ms. Appel was accused of being a con artist by those that knew her in Hawaii.

Are you really hoping that she goes back to doing this?

... and excuse me now while I step away to wash my eyes out with bleach.
jephotog and Sal Paradise like this.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

Last edited by eherlihy; 11-28-2017 at 11:45 AM.
post #6 of 204 Old 11-28-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
Rather than helping them scam people, we should work toward helping end their 15 minutes of fame.
I agree. Title: satire. Fame: more like infamy.
post #7 of 204 Old 11-28-2017
Master Mariner

I love the statement about only two wooden or glass sailing vessels transiting the Dragon’s Triangle area over the last 20 years. How can she possibly know that? Do yachts sailing from the SoPac islands to Japan specifically avoid this area, because...?
I have personally had sharks, big sharks, follow the boat for a day or two several times, but never did I feel threatened, unless I were to do something as stupid as joining them in the water. How would laying flat in the cockpit dissuade creatures w/o the mental faculties of determining that there was food (humans, which are not common food for deep sea sharks) aboard the thing (boat) floating in the water. More than likely, if these two women were not throwing garbage in quantity overboard, these creatures, as do many species of pelagic fish deep sea, were only seeking shade below their boat.
These two obviously set out to perpetrate a hoax and got caught. Lacking any class at all they continue to blame anyone they can think of for that failure, instead of admitting their duplicity and fading swiftly into history with others who have survived their own foolish attempts at seeking fame and fortune by fabricating a survival tale at sea.
I'd chip in to a go fund me account that assured the world that these two would never set foot on a boat, ever again!
jephotog, Slayer, zeehag and 4 others like this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #8 of 204 Old 11-28-2017
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
Ms. Appel was accused of being a con artist by those that knew her in Hawaii...
I was referring to the context of the article I linked. I mean a simple, honest life like they are talking about in that article - away from the life in your pic and the morass into which they've now put themselves. Yes, they screwed it up - but they had it for a while.

I know exactly what they mean when they talk about how it feels out there to be "free". It's a wonderful thing.

I honestly don't think they'll be able to do it - but they should.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 11-28-2017 at 12:07 PM.
post #9 of 204 Old 11-28-2017

She was also irritated at the bad press. “People think I’m making a movie or a book. I haven’t signed anything yet.”

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #10 of 204 Old 11-28-2017
al brazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer View Post
The President of the United States of America can't even control the media (tongue in cheek) how could they possibly think they could.
Slayer likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in