Audio books to listen to on the rowing machine - SailNet Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 12-08-2017 Thread Starter

Question Audio books to listen to on the rowing machine

We in the Northern hemisphere have to face the facts: winter is here! As it happens, today I will move my boat to her winter-slip, take off the sails and winterize the systems. I don't expect to move her from there until April 2018.

To keep halfway in shape in the dark months, I spend a 1/2 hour on the rowing machine a couple times per week. I don't like watching TV too much and there is only so much Buffett you can hear. So I took to listen to books on tape, preferably with a nautical theme. It's a rowing machine, after all.

Jack London is great but I have listened to several of his books and need a change. I love Joseph Conrad and again have done a few (currently I am listening to Mirror of the Sea, very nice but a bit slow for aerobic activity) but I don't want to limit myself to two authors.

So, what do you recommend? Again, nautical topics preferred though I have wide interests and anything that can keep my thoughts from that stupid rowing will be welcome.

Bonus points for books available on Librevox (see librevox.org if you don't know it). First, because I am cheap and want to save my money for boat parts, and also because the books they have are by definition classics (out of copyright) and therefore have stood the test of time.

Thanks for any recommendations!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 12-10-2017

Re: Audio books to listen to on the rowing machine

Patrick OíBrienís Aubrey/Maturin series and CS Foresterís Hornblower series. Bernard Cornwall also wrote some quite good sailing thrillers- Sea Lord, Scoundrel, Crackdown, etc. For a great golden oldie, Erskine Childers The Riddle Of The Sands.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to PaulBKal For This Useful Post:
MastUndSchotbruch (12-11-2017)
post #3 of 22 Old 12-10-2017

This year didn’t go south. Have similar issue. But rather than staying inside have done the following.
Bought a used cf heritage 12 sliding seat rowboat.
Have breathable waist high waders and light wading boots.
Have breathable waterproof windbreaker
Have tight fitting silks and if necessary fleece pants and top/neoprene gloves.
Took a type lll off the boat.
Built a small road legal trailer for it even though it weighs only 65lbs. That way I can easily splash it by myself.

Go rowing on local ponds.

Amazing how beautiful it is to listen to nature. The sights bring you closer to God.
I live on a pond so if lazy just row that. It’s stream fed so rarely freezes. But there are a host of ponds/lakes within ten minutes of my house which are inside parks. Although heavily used in summer they’re empty now giving a Thoreauian experience when rowing.

With climate change it’s rare you can’t find open water in my state (MA) on quiet water. This spring intend to go for striper with her as hope by then to be fit enough and skilled enough to be able to fish the local bays.

You would both tune your body and feed your soul if you do something similar.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

post #4 of 22 Old 12-10-2017

Dock

I have enjoyed listening to Dead Wake, Sailing Alone Around the World, Maiden Voyage, and Endurance (the Earnest Shackleton story). Have done several trips between Key Largo and Rochester, NY over the last few months.......
MastUndSchotbruch likes this.

Andy
Hard Aground
S/V Everlasting Moon
1981 Endeavour 32

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
The Following User Says Thank You to bigdogandy For This Useful Post:
MastUndSchotbruch (12-11-2017)
post #5 of 22 Old 12-10-2017

Take up frostbiting?

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
post #6 of 22 Old 12-11-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulBKal View Post
Patrick OíBrienís Aubrey/Maturin series and CS Foresterís Hornblower series. Bernard Cornwall also wrote some quite good sailing thrillers- Sea Lord, Scoundrel, Crackdown, etc. For a great golden oldie, Erskine Childers The Riddle Of The Sands.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks for the suggestions. I have read about 2/3 of the Aubrey/Maturin series and a couple of the Hornblower books. Yes, I should look into them. I LOVED reading the riddle of the sands when I found it a dozen years ago but I know the outcome. Still, will put it on the list. Now Bernard Cornwall I have never heard of, so that will go to the very top of the list.

Thank you!
post #7 of 22 Old 12-11-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
This year didnít go south. Have similar issue. But rather than staying inside have done the following.
Bought a used cf heritage 12 sliding seat rowboat.
Have breathable waist high waders and light wading boots.
Have breathable waterproof windbreaker
Have tight fitting silks and if necessary fleece pants and top/neoprene gloves.
Took a type lll off the boat.
Built a small road legal trailer for it even though it weighs only 65lbs. That way I can easily splash it by myself.

Go rowing on local ponds.

Amazing how beautiful it is to listen to nature. The sights bring you closer to God.
I live on a pond so if lazy just row that. Itís stream fed so rarely freezes. But there are a host of ponds/lakes within ten minutes of my house which are inside parks. Although heavily used in summer theyíre empty now giving a Thoreauian experience when rowing.

With climate change itís rare you canít find open water in my state (MA) on quiet water. This spring intend to go for striper with her as hope by then to be fit enough and skilled enough to be able to fish the local bays.

You would both tune your body and feed your soul if you do something similar.
That sounds fantastic and truely Thoreauian, and probably more doable in Maryland than in Massachusetts. Alas, it also requires more time than I can commit to it right now. Maybe some day when (if?) I will be retired....
post #8 of 22 Old 12-11-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogandy View Post
I have enjoyed listening to Dead Wake, Sailing Alone Around the World, Maiden Voyage, and Endurance (the Earnest Shackleton story). Have done several trips between Key Largo and Rochester, NY over the last few months.......
I have listened to Sailing around the world and enjoyed it thoroughly. The Shackleton story sounds great, too. Never heard of Dead Wake, had to google it. Sounds good, too. Maiden Voyage, hm, never thought of that one but sure, it is about sailing so why not. Thank you!
post #9 of 22 Old 12-11-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
Take up frostbiting?
maybe not...
post #10 of 22 Old 12-11-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
maybe not...
...your loss

https://www.facebook.com/bristolyach...type=3&theater

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in