Maritime Documentation Center - Page 5 - SailNet Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 62 Old 06-17-2018

Re: Maritime Documentation Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by marysherrill View Post
I also received a letter from Maritime Documentation Center and fell for their scam as well. Looked like they were a 3rd party vendor for the US Coast Guard- with our Official Documentation Number. I wanted to report them on every forum that I can ó to warn others from falling for this. From Now on - I will be much more careful and less trusting.
Donít be too hard on yourself, or mistrusting of everyone. Presumably, you did get your updated documentation. Itís when you get scammed out of your money for nothing that it would really hurt.

I do wonder why these folks havenít been prosecuted for mail fraud. Although, the mailers do seem to have been changed to walk the line.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 62 Old 06-18-2018

Isn't the fee $75 now?
post #43 of 62 Old 06-18-2018

The Coast Guard fee is $26. - https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/D...-09-113141-363

post #44 of 62 Old 06-25-2018

The same thing happened to me. The "Maritime Documentation Center" charged me $150 for a 2-year renewal. An hour later when I realized that I was being scammed, I notified them that I did not want to use their services. They canceled my order, performed no services, and kept my $150. My credit card company could not help me because I accepted their terms and conditions by clicking "submit" on their website. Legal thievery!
post #45 of 62 Old 06-25-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHaven View Post
The same thing happened to me. The "Maritime Documentation Center" charged me $150 for a 2-year renewal. An hour later when I realized that I was being scammed, I notified them that I did not want to use their services. They canceled my order, performed no services, and kept my $150. My credit card company could not help me because I accepted their terms and conditions by clicking "submit" on their website. Legal thievery!
Did you pay the USCG again? If you did not get what you paid for, thatís grounds for recovery on your cc. Or just force them to provide it and not lay a second time. Something is odd with this one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #46 of 62 Old 07-18-2018

WORD OF CAUTION:
My mistake, hope I can save someone else from making this error...

I received an official looking letter from "Maritime Documentation" thinking it was from the USCG. I signed up and then realized my error. I challenged the transaction with cc company, lost the appeal. OK, so I was willing to just move forward even if it cost 3x more - my mistake after all. Contacted Maritime Documentation and they told me that I had forfeited my $225 (I had signed for 3 years) and would have to re-apply...

WOW, that's as close as it gets to stealing/fraud as you can get. Nowhere on the fine print does it say that you if you challenge the transaction, that you forfeit your fee. It does say it is non-refundable. I was willing to NOT get my money back and just move forward with the application. NOPE, Maritime documentation kept the money.

STAY away from these folks. Just use the online USCG application process and renew online.
post #47 of 62 Old 07-18-2018 Thread Starter
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslloyd View Post
WORD OF CAUTION:
My mistake, hope I can save someone else from making this error...

I received an official looking letter from "Maritime Documentation" thinking it was from the USCG. I signed up and then realized my error. I challenged the transaction with cc company, lost the appeal. OK, so I was willing to just move forward even if it cost 3x more - my mistake after all. Contacted Maritime Documentation and they told me that I had forfeited my $225 (I had signed for 3 years) and would have to re-apply...

WOW, that's as close as it gets to stealing/fraud as you can get. Nowhere on the fine print does it say that you if you challenge the transaction, that you forfeit your fee. It does say it is non-refundable. I was willing to NOT get my money back and just move forward with the application. NOPE, Maritime documentation kept the money.

STAY away from these folks. Just use the online USCG application process and renew online.
I would think that you could now challenge the transaction. You paid for, but did not receive their service.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

post #48 of 62 Old 07-18-2018

Sorry they got you too. Just do everything you can to spread the word, both here and other boating forums. As more and more people become aware of this scam, eventually this cash cow will dry up for the scammers
jslloyd likes this.

Catalina 34
post #49 of 62 Old 07-18-2018

I agree with you. I contacted the cc company and they said because I had signed the agreement (which included a no-refund policy) that I could appeal again. Maritime blocked my calls. My option would be to get a lawyer.... and file a claim that I did not get the services for which I paid. Maritime claims I knew that my application would be null and void AND that I would forfeit my money.

These people are scoundrels and I hope the word gets out and they go under.
post #50 of 62 Old 07-19-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslloyd View Post
....Maritime claims I knew that my application would be null and void AND that I would forfeit my money..
For what? If you complained?

While they might establish a contract that makes their fee non-refundable, it's not a contract if both parties don't provide consideration.

I would try the credit card company again, for denial of service. I would also contact the US Postal Inspection Service and document your situation. You would be helping many other boaters to follow.
doggerel likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in