13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 62 Old 07-21-2018

Re: Maritime Documentation Center

Possible recourse(s)...

https://www.boatus.com/pressroom/release.asp?id=1280

..and Better Business Bureau
https://www.bbb.org/northwest/busine...and-complaints

..which by the way they are not accredited by the BBB and also given an “F” rating..

Last edited by aa3jy; 07-21-2018 at 03:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 62 Old 11-08-2018 Thread Starter
Learning the HARD way...

Thumbs up Re: Maritime Documentation Center

I just received a letter from the;
Department of Homeland Security
U.S. Coast Guard
VESSEL RENEWAL NOTIFICATION
APPLICATION FOR RENEWAL

If you are not changing anything, and you know your official documentation number (hint; it is written somewhere on the inside of your hull. It is NOT your HIN.), you can now go to www.uscg.mil/nvdc -> Order Products Online -> Renew (or Late Renewal) and renew your Certificate of Documentation on-line!

Hopefully, this will help take more business away from the Maritime Documentation Center scumbags.
bristol299bob likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #53 of 62 Old 11-27-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliowb View Post
It might be worth it. I've been trying to get a response from the NVDC for nearly a year. I hear nothing from them for several months, then "we couldn't read one entry on your PDF file, send it back in with this correction" I look at my copy of the PDF and it's fine, but I redo it, rescan it, send it back in. Then they go silent for another couple of months. The NVDC needs some housecleaning, or so it seems.
I agree. It was such a smooth process and they were pretty transparent on being a private firm. I understand the fee was increased but their site was very easy to use so I didn't mind. Saved me the headache
SanderO likes this.

post #54 of 62 Old 11-28-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusJames View Post
I agree. It was such a smooth process and they were pretty transparent on being a private firm. I understand the fee was increased but their site was very easy to use so I didn't mind. Saved me the headache
?????? You think it's smoother or easier to use this rip off company than just fill out the USCG's website renewal?

I recall their document discloses they are a private company, but it's far from transparent in my opinion. You have to read everything carefully to know. Their logo, envelope and documents are designed to dupe the user into thinking they are dealing with the actual USCG. Evidence is in this thread.

I suspect what they are doing minimally passes legal muster, but it's far from ethical, which tells me all I need to know about them.
paulk and SanderO like this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #55 of 62 Old 11-28-2018

Interesting that a new member with no info in his profile makes his fist and only post, quoting what may be the sole somewhat tepid statement out of 6 pages of invective about this outfit, and talks about the "headaches" of documentation (which the thread makes clear are essentially minimal). Is it their lawyer?
post #56 of 62 Old 11-28-2018

It certainly struck me as lame social media management of some kind. Iím not sure they would hired a lawyer for that. Maybe a millennial sitting in a Starbucks. then again, a millennial may have been more deft.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #57 of 62 Old 11-28-2018 Thread Starter
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusJames View Post
If you like paying 3x what the USCG charges, then that is your prerogative. However, the USCG NVDC charges $26/year, sends a USPS mail reminder, and allows you to renew through their website. The renewal process has become much easier since I started this thread. If you can't follow the very simple registration renewal instructions that the NVDC sends you (in essence; enter your DOC number, confirm that the info in the database is current and correct, and then submit payment) then you should have trouble with the $75 Maritime Documentation Scam too.

Some people have trouble transferring or initiating their documentation. There are documentation agents that offer their services for a $200-500 fee to help these people through the process. I transferred the documentation for my vessel myself and saved the fee. I can read and write in English, however.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

post #58 of 62 Old 11-28-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
Interesting that a new member with no info in his profile makes his fist and only post, quoting what may be the sole somewhat tepid statement out of 6 pages of invective about this outfit, and talks about the "headaches" of documentation (which the thread makes clear are essentially minimal). Is it their lawyer?
Looks like a shill to me.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #59 of 62 Old 03-07-2019

Old thread, but people need reminders from time to time. Also, from what I understand, the real CG doc office now offers, up to, 5 year renewals. Something a lot of people have been wanting.
Just remember folks, the real CG only charges $26 per year to renew documentation.

Catalina 34
post #60 of 62 Old 03-10-2019

I just received my official USCG NVDC renewal notice and renewed online for $26.00. I did not see a 5 year renewal option. I'm not sure I would have done it anyway. There is a disclaimer that all fees are non-refundable, even if the vessel does not qualify for a renewed Certificate. I imagined, if one were to sell their vessel, they would lose the remaining period.

The website had a big red warning that they just reopened on Jan 29 and provide a link to their "process". No doubt that means they are backed up. I have a serious bias against government operations that have absolutely no economic motivation to deliver service. In every real business, stuff happens, fair or unfair, and you just have to deal with it and catch up asap. These are the good guys, of course.

Jeanneau 54DS

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in