Maritime Documentation Center - SailNet Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 62 Old 12-09-2017 Thread Starter
Learning the HARD way...

Maritime Documentation Center

I just received an official-looking envelope from the Maritime Documentation Center, 100 24th St W Suite 1-1028, Billings MT 59102. Inside was a letter indicating that my vessel's documentation is set to expire and that for an additional fee, this organization was willing to renew my certificate of documentation.

WOW! What a service!! Just think that I can pay this private organization $75 and fill out their form and thereby not have to pay $26 and sign the form that the USCG sends me every year.

I thought that you all should know.

(What a friggin' scam...)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 Old 12-09-2017

Re: Maritime Documentation Center

First time I've heard about this company. There have been many threads here and other boating forums talking about US Documentation Center in Cal charging $75.

Catalina 34
post #3 of 62 Old 12-09-2017
Master Mariner

Ain't that the 'Merikan way though. Selling folks something they can do for themselves, for three times what it would cost them to do it. But hey, it is legal.
sailforlife likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone

post #4 of 62 Old 12-11-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Ain't that the 'Merikan way though. Selling folks something they can do for themselves, for three times what it would cost them to do it. But hey, it is legal.
It might be worth it. I've been trying to get a response from the NVDC for nearly a year. I hear nothing from them for several months, then "we couldn't read one entry on your PDF file, send it back in with this correction" I look at my copy of the PDF and it's fine, but I redo it, rescan it, send it back in. Then they go silent for another couple of months. The NVDC needs some housecleaning, or so it seems.
post #5 of 62 Old 12-11-2017

Just so you know....these documentation service companies do not get a free pass to the front of the line. When it comes to the CG Doc Center, it is strickly, first come, first served.

Catalina 34
post #6 of 62 Old 12-11-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck53 View Post
Just so you know....these documentation service companies do not get a free pass to the front of the line. When it comes to the CG Doc Center, it is strickly, first come, first served.
I'm sure that what you say is correct. I was saying that more out of frustration and with 'tongue in cheek.' Coincidentally, my documentation just arrived in the mail today! There's a coincidence for you. Or does the NVDC read Sailnet......

It is missing the year completed and the place built, which were on my previous documents, but at least I'm documented again!!! Now I'll be able to do that trip up to the Georgian Bay next summer.

-- Bill
Belle Voile
PSC 34
post #7 of 62 Old 12-11-2017

Just a couple of months ago, I almost got taken by these people. I had just purchased a documented vessel, and was new to the USCG documentation process, and while doing a web search, stumbled upon their web site. So I started filing out their online form, then remembered that the previous owner had given me a copy of the USCG form in the stack of paperwork. Anyway I got the form and finished filling out the online document. When I went to figure the cost, it was over $450.00! I had seen some of the paperwork in the packet that had some prices, and so I took another look. Anyway, after looking at the "Official" USCG documents, the cost should have been a little under $100.00. Did a bit more research, and discovered a statement on the USCG site kind of warning about these types of companies. Needless to say, I deleted the online form data, printed out the USCG form, wrote the check and mailed it off. The paperwork was received buy the USCG a few days later, and now the wait starts. On one of USCG sites, there is a link to a list of the types of paperwork that is being processed, and the current date range. I checked a little while ago, and they are up to Sept 7th for transfers. My paperwork was received on Oct 6th, so its getting close. These people really should be required to put a LARGE statement on their main page stating they are not the USCG. Personally, I believe it is very deceptive.
eherlihy likes this.

Last edited by MitchK; 12-11-2017 at 11:28 PM.
post #8 of 62 Old 12-12-2017

When looking for them online, I found a Newswire that was issue in Los Angeles. I suspect it's the same company we've heard of there. I have to believe there is mail fraud here, as they use naming and logos to make the recipient think it is the USCG NDC.

I suspect their (lame) argument is they actually provide a service. It may not be one that adds any value, but they do provide what they claim. I think I recall the one in CA would also provide for multi-year service, whereby they automatically renew for you each year. The user would otherwise have to do it themselves annually. Now that the USCG provides an online renewal service, this feature is no longer added value.

If they can't be taken down for mail fraud, the real fix is for the USCG to STOP forcing annual renewals for a fee. If it was free, no one could get away with ripping folks off (as easily). I say, charge what you need to charge for the initial docs, extend the renewals to 3 or 5 years and allow for the renewal to be free, if done online. Money grab bureaucrats stopped reading a few sentences ago.
eherlihy likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #9 of 62 Old 12-12-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
When looking for them online, I found a Newswire that was issue in Los Angeles. I suspect it's the same company we've heard of there. I have to believe there is mail fraud here, as they use naming and logos to make the recipient think it is the USCG NDC.

I suspect their (lame) argument is they actually provide a service. It may not be one that adds any value, but they do provide what they claim. I think I recall the one in CA would also provide for multi-year service, whereby they automatically renew for you each year. The user would otherwise have to do it themselves annually. Now that the USCG provides an online renewal service, this feature is no longer added value.

If they can't be taken down for mail fraud, the real fix is for the USCG to STOP forcing annual renewals for a fee. If it was free, no one could get away with ripping folks off (as easily). I say, charge what you need to charge for the initial docs, extend the renewals to 3 or 5 years and allow for the renewal to be free, if done online. Money grab bureaucrats stopped reading a few sentences ago.

Yes, they will be happy to renew for you for the 5 years....for $375. Or you can do it every year yourself for $130.
Is this fraud? I'm sure they had a battery of attorneys to go over everything to make sure they are on the (barely) legal side of the law.

Intentionally misleading? Absolutely. Their business model totally depends of boaters thinking they are dealing with the actual CG. And they do a very good job making boaters think that.

Best way to stop this...spread the word.
eherlihy likes this.

Catalina 34
post #10 of 62 Old 12-12-2017 Thread Starter
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck53 View Post
Best way to stop this...spread the word.
And that, my friend, is EXACTLY why I started this thread.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in