SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Useful Gear (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/306178-useful-gear.html)

RobGallagher 12-13-2017 12:13 PM

Useful Gear

What is your most useful bit of gear that you are always glad you have, but don't use often and might not be on a 'standard list' of boat gear.

Mine is two very long lengths of line (50+ft or so, long is relative, my boat is 30 ft). The line as about the diameter of recommended dock/anchor line for my boat.

Uses have been towing.
Docking in snotty weather.
Securing my boat to a far away windward piling to keep my boat from bashing.
Moving/rafting boats in crowded docks when moving them under power would be very challenging.
Once, single handed with no power I missed my mooring but grabbed a neighbors. I used my dink to get one end to my mooring and then hauled myself home.

Whatcha got?:captain:

colemj 12-13-2017 07:38 PM

Re: Useful Gear

Right now, it is the full cockpit enclosure. We have deployed it only a few times in the past 9yrs, but in those rare occasions like these past couple of cold fronts, it sure is useful.

Mark

aeventyr60 12-13-2017 07:47 PM

A 3 pound sledge hammer.

MarkofSeaLife 12-13-2017 08:17 PM

A set of dentists tools.

3 pieces, a L shape, a half circle, and one which has the weirdest little hooky bit on it.

They are great for lots of things.

🙂

albrazzi 12-13-2017 08:43 PM

http://c.shld.net/rpx/i/s/i/spin/ima...4&op_sharpen=1

Better than any knife for line cutting and emergency use. Small hose, shrink tube etc. too. Best $30 I ever spent

capttb 12-13-2017 08:49 PM

A piece of wood dowel with a wrist tether to clear the raw water thru hull once in a blue moon when it sucks in a kelp air bladder that's just the right size, some call it a "stick".

Arcb 12-13-2017 08:56 PM

A telescoping butterfly net.

It's most useful use is entertaining children. It's absolutely irresistable for kids, they become mesmerised when they drag it in the water, which keeps them out if my hair when I need to reef, set sail etc.

You can fish stuff out of the water with it like hats and squirt guns.

You can also use it to catch pests. We seem to beach lots in places with pests, hornets, bugs, spiders etc.

We even had a baby snapping turtle fall into our cockpit off a lock wall when locking down. Apparently it's common for them to cling to the lock walls and eventually they fall, occasionally into people's boats.

It's probably useful for other stuff too.

fallard 12-13-2017 09:37 PM

A laser rangefinder.

We use it in close quarters--near a lee shore in particular or in a very crowded anchorage--when we want to know if we (or the guy upwind) have dragged more than 10 ft.

chef2sail 12-13-2017 11:41 PM

Minnewaska 12-14-2017 05:20 AM

Endoscope camera. They run between $50 and $100 on Amazon. My current (second) one, connects via wifi to my iphone and uses it's display. You can spend a bunch more and get one that has it's own camera, but it's also bigger and harder to store. The types that use a phone or computer for display take up no room.

I've used it to inspect my heat exchanger, find things dropped under floor boards or tankage that would have previously been lost forever, looked to see if the transmission seam was leaking from below, tracked a deck leak behind some cabinetry, etc. Invaluable.

My first use for it was to go hunting for a toilet paper holder that a guest had dropped into the cabinet below the sinkand it disappeared below the liner that creates the head floor. I snake the camera down about 3 feet and there it is. A piece of balled up duct tape on the end of a flexible retrieval tool, guided via the camera, and I'm back in business!! Of course, my first attempt was to buy a new plastic toilet paper holder, but quickly learned that the pins on the side were not standard and nothing in the hardware store fit.

When I was down there, looking for the dropped part, I couldn't believe what I found. Paper towels, a roll of toilet paper, all sort of toiletries. Folks has been dropping things down there fore approx 6 years! I then went and checked the other heads too and found even more. I found a screw driver that was pretty nice, which I imagine was dropped by someone trying to install or repair. I also found a bottle of wood glue. What that was for, I'll never know.