Useful Gear - SailNet Community
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 12-13-2017 Thread Starter
HANUMAN

Useful Gear

What is your most useful bit of gear that you are always glad you have, but don't use often and might not be on a 'standard list' of boat gear.

Mine is two very long lengths of line (50+ft or so, long is relative, my boat is 30 ft). The line as about the diameter of recommended dock/anchor line for my boat.

Uses have been towing.
Docking in snotty weather.
Securing my boat to a far away windward piling to keep my boat from bashing.
Moving/rafting boats in crowded docks when moving them under power would be very challenging.
Once, single handed with no power I missed my mooring but grabbed a neighbors. I used my dink to get one end to my mooring and then hauled myself home.

Whatcha got?

WINDHOVER
1999 CATALINA 36 MKII
NOANK, CT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 12-13-2017

Re: Useful Gear

Right now, it is the full cockpit enclosure. We have deployed it only a few times in the past 9yrs, but in those rare occasions like these past couple of cold fronts, it sure is useful.

Mark
RobGallagher likes this.

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Current boat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Previous boat
post #3 of 29 Old 12-13-2017

A 3 pound sledge hammer.
mthoma21 likes this.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.

post #4 of 29 Old 12-13-2017

Dock

A set of dentists tools.

3 pieces, a L shape, a half circle, and one which has the weirdest little hooky bit on it.

They are great for lots of things.

🙂
capttb, SanderO, zeehag and 1 others like this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #5 of 29 Old 12-13-2017
al brazzi

http://c.shld.net/rpx/i/s/i/spin/ima...4&op_sharpen=1

Better than any knife for line cutting and emergency use. Small hose, shrink tube etc. too. Best $30 I ever spent
post #6 of 29 Old 12-13-2017

A piece of wood dowel with a wrist tether to clear the raw water thru hull once in a blue moon when it sucks in a kelp air bladder that's just the right size, some call it a "stick".
zeehag likes this.

"Just call me TB"

Last edited by capttb; 12-13-2017 at 10:14 PM.
post #7 of 29 Old 12-13-2017

A telescoping butterfly net.

It's most useful use is entertaining children. It's absolutely irresistable for kids, they become mesmerised when they drag it in the water, which keeps them out if my hair when I need to reef, set sail etc.

You can fish stuff out of the water with it like hats and squirt guns.

You can also use it to catch pests. We seem to beach lots in places with pests, hornets, bugs, spiders etc.

We even had a baby snapping turtle fall into our cockpit off a lock wall when locking down. Apparently it's common for them to cling to the lock walls and eventually they fall, occasionally into people's boats.

It's probably useful for other stuff too.
zeehag likes this.
post #8 of 29 Old 12-13-2017

A laser rangefinder.

We use it in close quarters--near a lee shore in particular or in a very crowded anchorage--when we want to know if we (or the guy upwind) have dragged more than 10 ft.
post #9 of 29 Old 12-13-2017

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Electrictions snake

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0025Z81BS...a-351181085701

Mini plunger

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Plumb-Cra...&wl13=&veh=sem

Strong mini magnets on a string

https://www.amazon.com/CMS-Magnetics...EVNY9WT7NMBNQY

led headlamp

Petzl Tikkina Headlamp - Red

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #10 of 29 Old 12-14-2017

Endoscope camera. They run between $50 and $100 on Amazon. My current (second) one, connects via wifi to my iphone and uses it's display. You can spend a bunch more and get one that has it's own camera, but it's also bigger and harder to store. The types that use a phone or computer for display take up no room.

I've used it to inspect my heat exchanger, find things dropped under floor boards or tankage that would have previously been lost forever, looked to see if the transmission seam was leaking from below, tracked a deck leak behind some cabinetry, etc. Invaluable.

My first use for it was to go hunting for a toilet paper holder that a guest had dropped into the cabinet below the sinkand it disappeared below the liner that creates the head floor. I snake the camera down about 3 feet and there it is. A piece of balled up duct tape on the end of a flexible retrieval tool, guided via the camera, and I'm back in business!! Of course, my first attempt was to buy a new plastic toilet paper holder, but quickly learned that the pins on the side were not standard and nothing in the hardware store fit.

When I was down there, looking for the dropped part, I couldn't believe what I found. Paper towels, a roll of toilet paper, all sort of toiletries. Folks has been dropping things down there fore approx 6 years! I then went and checked the other heads too and found even more. I found a screw driver that was pretty nice, which I imagine was dropped by someone trying to install or repair. I also found a bottle of wood glue. What that was for, I'll never know.
zeehag likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in