Drone for rigging inspections - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 32 Old 12-15-2017

Re: Drone for rigging inspections

Whats the flight time of a battery operated drone? The ones I have seen need to have batteries swapped every 10-15 minutes. Futzing around with it seems like a bigger issue than just looking in front of you for coral heads.

Now a PTZ camera at the top of the mast is an intriguing idea. Just get one with a couple hundred foot night vision range and it could be a huge help. The only problem is they weigh in at a couple of pounds.

Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 Old 12-15-2017

I just flew a drone for the first time a month or so back. It was a DJI Mavic Pro. I have no idea where that sits in the spectrum of quality. It did fold up into a small package, so that would be an advantage to have aboard.

It was very easy to fly. Hands off and it just stopped mid air. I flew it down a canyon and took a vid of a waterfall. Returned and landed with ease.

However, as easy as it was, I would measure flight accuracy in a couple of feet, not inches. Way too much variability to get very close to rigging. One might be able to see a major malfunction better, like a missing bolt, cotter or clevis ring aloft, but it would never get close enough to inspect for cracks or meat hooks.

I admit, after flying it, I was challenging myself over a couple of beers to make up a reason to need one. Personally, I HATE seeing them flying around anchorages or marinas. They make an annoying sound and give off the social grace of a peeping tom. If there was a malfunction, they could damage others property. No thanks. I would love to get a vid of our boat underway, but getting good enough to depart and return to a moving vessel is one thing. Then I would never feel the need to do it again.

The battery in this model was good for 20 mins max. Not very useful for navigating, but very useful to explore secluded nearby places.
-OvO- and wymbly1971 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #13 of 32 Old 12-15-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexay View Post
inbetween yearly physical inspections
We're up the rig for a looksy more than once a year, even with all new standing rigging.

post #14 of 32 Old 12-15-2017

Dock

I am an RC guy too (with airplanes, helis, quads, FPV, etc) and this is a pretty hot topic. I'm with the previous poster that these quads everywhere can be annoying. I understand them being used as a tool and I love the aerial video too.

Being in the hobby, we understand that using these things is often more than just firing them up and buzzing around taking video of everything. The irresponsible, ignorant and invasive use of these "drones" is what's catching the attention of the regulators like Transport Canada and the FAA to start slapping really restrictive laws on them. Even now, airspace regulators and fullsize pilots have drones in their sights, report everything they can't identify as a drone and have been filing report after report of unsubstantiated drone sightings with the bent that they pose a safety risk to the public...We all know where that path goes...

My advice is education. Learn how to fly them without the automatic gadgets, learn the safety, the risks, the operational limits and the laws. Trust me, you'd be doing us all a favour.

I also thought of doing rigging inspections, but like others have said it's pretty hard to beat a closeup view and a sense of touch.
post #15 of 32 Old 12-15-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymbly1971 View Post
.....Learn how to fly them without the automatic gadgets......
The automatic return to home has been known to fly the drones directly into objects between the loss of signal and home base. Is that what you mean? The automatic gadget that freezes it's position in space, if you let go of the controls is a good safety feature, IMO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #16 of 32 Old 12-15-2017

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
The automatic return to home has been known to fly the drones directly into objects between the loss of signal and home base. Is that what you mean? The automatic gadget that freezes it's position in space, if you let go of the controls is a good safety feature, IMO.
Yes, I meant that if return to home stopped working for whatever reason (flying into something in the direct path is a good example), then it's good to be able to manually take over. I know that if the compass gets confused by a magnetic anomaly, it'll conflict with the GPS signal and can start "toilet bowling".

The other thing to consider is that if your launch position is different than your current position (lets say you launched from a moving boat), the drone could try to go back to it's 1st position. You'd have to manually take over if not equipped with "follow me". There was a good example of this happening in Erik Aanderaa's You tube video and he nearly lost his quad because of it..

I agree....position and altitude hold are great features.
post #17 of 32 Old 12-15-2017

One day I was sitting in the park along side the harbor and the dinghy dock was 50' away. All of the sudden I see a drone hovering above the dinghy dock. Ha? Turns out the owner was proposing marriage to his sweetheart on the town dock another 50' out. That was pretty cool. Haven't seen any flying around Northport aside from this one.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #18 of 32 Old 12-15-2017
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

You could easily shroud the props on a drone. Some come with prop "guards" that would keep the rigging out of them. But a drone camera is typically a wide angle long focus camera, and for up-close inspection you'd want a fixed or manual focus of maybe 2-3' from the drone, making it very "nearsighted". (Autofocus will always be wrong for this.) You'd have to cobble up something, that's beyond the range of a macro lens, too close for a normal lens. And vibration might make things too jumpy (fuzzy) up that close.

Only one way to find out, right?
post #19 of 32 Old 12-15-2017
Barquito

Obviously, the advantage of going up the stick yourself, is that you can bring a little jewelers loupe, and take a very close look at things. How about an autonomous robot-monkey that can climb the mast and take a close look? I'm only half kidding. That might actually be useful in adverse conditions.
-OvO- likes this.

Valiant 32
post #20 of 32 Old 12-15-2017
S/V Wyndwitch - Morgan 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
Obviously, the advantage of going up the stick yourself, is that you can bring a little jewelers loupe, and take a very close look at things. How about an autonomous robot-monkey that can climb the mast and take a close look? I'm only half kidding. That might actually be useful in adverse conditions.
I like the monkey idea how bout a R.C. Monkey with a digital glass eye ..and a pet parrot to relay messages below?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Tags
drone , rigging inspection

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in