SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Drone for rigging inspections (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/306202-drone-rigging-inspections.html)

Lexay 12-14-2017 04:09 PM

Drone for rigging inspections

I would be interested in anybody's experience in using a drone for the inspection of rigging aloft. Lower cost solutions would be preferred.

RegisteredUser 12-14-2017 04:22 PM

Re: Drone for rigging inspections

Drones can't touch it or run their fingers along it.
Drones won't be flying inside diamonds.
If something is noticed via drone, the drone can't correct it.
Regardless, some human is going up the mast...

Lexay 12-14-2017 04:58 PM

All true, but inbetween yearly physical inspections, I would think it could be a useful tool to possibly spot issues. I could imagine that staying out of the way of the rigging could be tricky.

Has anybody tried this?

Tanski 12-14-2017 05:20 PM

RC stuff is one of my hobbies, a decent quad copter and camera that is hobby grade (meeaning it can be repaired instead of thrown out) isn't that cheap. I certainly wouldn't risk my stuff around the rigging. One good puff of wind and down she goes. Would have to get very close to get a good detailed view AND fly through and around the rigging to get a 360 view. The gyro/stabilizer in my stuff probably wouldn't have time to react in that close proximity.
As well unless you a flying FPV you have no idea if you are getting the views you need. Then there are the rules and regs regarding flying a drone.
In short easier and quicker to go up the mast to do a visual and physical exam.

Barquito 12-14-2017 05:26 PM

Of course a drone would be indispensable in keeping your rig from falling down. Put it on the christmas list! :)

RegisteredUser 12-14-2017 05:38 PM

I'm not an RC guy and never will be, but I did get a drone to use as a tool. My thoughts/justifications:

Aerial view of potential anchorages in thin water, identifying reef breaks, scouting of small islands...and maybe some cool pics.

Tanski 12-14-2017 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RegisteredUser (Post 2051313594)
I'm not an RC guy and never will be, but I did get a drone to use as a tool. My thoughts/justifications:

Aerial view of potential anchorages in thin water, identifying reef breaks, scouting of small islands...and maybe some cool pics.

Ideal use for them! Never say never, I started with a car when I was a kid. Now have a couple cars, 2 planes, 1 heli, a drone and 13 boats including a couple sailboats.....

SanderO 12-14-2017 10:22 PM

How about using a drone down in the Bahamas to make your way through the reefs. I believe you can see the coral and the deeper water when looking directly down. I am not sure how you would use it.... but maybe????

SailingKnottyGurl 12-14-2017 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanderO (Post 2051313858)
How about using a drone down in the Bahamas to make your way through the reefs. I believe you can see the coral and the deeper water when looking directly down. I am not sure how you would use it.... but maybe????

If your looking to get a drone for that reason it would be cheaper to hook up a wireless camera and pull power from the masthead lighting, then you always have an overhead view in front and the night vision could prove useful, now that i typed this im gonna have to test it for this summer lmao. but i do know a decent drone will run a grand and it always manages to hit something in the initial learning curve, the cheapys just wont handle the salt and water issues.

Towguy 12-14-2017 11:34 PM

I actually got a dji spark this summer,useful for pictures,looking for cows ,inspecting roofs and once I get good at handling it for security as it has a memory function,this is for the farm and out in the field where my wrecking yard is,and this is only about 600.00 dollars the camera is very high resolution and with the zoom should work just fine to inspect rigging visually,but not when it's windy!! I think I would just practice lots befor getting close to rigging as the anti bump function may not read the skinny wire, oh and sparks are not waterproof, Sure gets nice pictures....Ralph. Ps.it has a automatic return to wherever it took off from function so if you take off from the dock it will land again ,itself